Just for electronic lovers

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Feb 6, 2017.

1. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Nice song, but take note of how things are repeated, and looped and apply it to that song you're working on. Video has nice use of motion timelapse too.
    For you here is a track that proves that very simple structures can have impact, if you give them the right feeling, along with good lyrics and vocals.
    The year is 1980; 37 years ago now. The band (not known as an electronic music band) experimenting, while making the album "Kaleidascope" is Siouxsie and the Banshees. Very simple, but somewhat captivating, with the vocals and the subject matter.
    Enjoy!

2. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

@foster911 here's some tracks you should listen to. Bassdrum, bassline, a synth, a sample, and hats and claps.
    anybody could do this, right

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

These 2 tracks used to lift the roof off of the clubs and actually mixed quite well together too. Good for transitioning your set to breaks or back to house depending on what order you mixed them. Real DJing.
    Gotta love Josh Wink/Winx/Size9/etc

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

As did this. When the horns come in.

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

Some tracks are good:

6. inusable

inusable Producer

7. saltwater

saltwater Guest

legendary track

still gets remixed today

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@saltwater Thanks for sharing that stellar remix. That was insane!

9. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
  10. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

Is your place going to have any treatment, you'll get so many different answers to your question as everyone's in a different environment, so best pair are the one's that will suit for space, Then if you treat your space and choose a pair, you got to know what to listen for in good monitors and they won't sound flattering, subjectively a lot of people would choose something they like rather than are correct. If I were you I'd get measurements done first and find something with a response that makes the best of your room, even if they don't test as well as others under ideal conditions. cheapest way is to be methodical about it and avoid mistakes. Best of luck, it's such a priority to get your monitoring as good as possible.
    ps if cash is a problem and you want best short term results, you should choose good reference headphones instead, get to know whatever speakers your currently using in that space and use them just to check. between the two you should do ok plus make use of visual graphs and how to read them for different situations. it'll take some of the guess work out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  13. foster911

foster911 Guest

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yeah, I know what you think about me. I changed my attitude. When you think like the classical musicians, it becomes a bit hard to enjoy the current and modern life.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  15. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

Must be me but I didn't like nearly all of this stuff, either too busy or no beat. Josh Wink was about the best but I was looking for something new.

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

How many beats do make you happy?
    https://clyp.it/4grudmsd

17. foster911

foster911 Guest

18. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Keep it 2017, Foster

19. foster911

foster911 Guest

I really loved your posted one.

I don't want to be a sheer dabbler of modern styles pursuing what other people did. I'm a style-free (not freestyle as a genre) guy. Your tracks are awesome but who propound their template as style and make them influential? I confess that more than 50% of making music is knowing the overpowering styles and following them but for me, no I can not be gratified by that. I try to create the style itself with the music I make and that's one of the reasons for the structuring problem that I've always dealt with.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  20. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Music, by definition of our entire human history, tells a story. A simple story has a beginning/development, a climax and an end/resolution. A complex story has additional plot twists, fake climaxes, cliffhangers.
    As long as you try to stay out of this structure you're not making music anymore. You may play with sounds but is not music. If this will ever be to the liking to a large audience, it won't be called music. Maybe it will be called "audiotainment" or whatnot but not music.

What I am afraid is that you confuse sounds within a song with the structure of the song hence for you each song appears to have a different structure only because it sounds different. When in fact, all the songs share the same core elements with minor changes between them. A pop song can be expanded to a lengthy 9 minutes progressive song and viceversa. The song above can be compressed in a 3 minutes radio edit without losing too much of its power.

Think of a movie: if you watch for 90 minutes random video segments (pretty much your attempts with long chords, lots of notes etc.) with no immediate connection between them, it is not a movie anymore. It is a string of video frames but that's it. But is that a new movie genre? Definitely no.

David Lynch is famous for introducing such metaphors in his movies that many are unexplained even in present day, but he still managed to direct & write with great respect towards the movie-specific framework.