Just experiment

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Boosire, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Boosire

Boosire Producer

Hi,

I hope this doesn't sound condescending because i'm far from being a pro.

I see so many threads asking how someone can make a certain thing sounding in such a way, most of the time they're completely baffled by it.
    It got me thinking about the way we all learn nowadays.
    Granted, it got easier than ever, everything is laid out for you, just drop the wheel, follow videos, tutorial or whatever, do the thing, accumulate infos, work a lot and wait for the snap, the day that you feel like you've got a fair picture of what's possible.

I realize that i'm just toying with the same argument that i've seen laid out a bunch of times, we've gotten used to being taken by the hand in so many aspects of our lives and there is this danger in it, but i never felt like it was a problem with music, even arts. I couldn't conceive that it was possible to make any form of it without letting your instincts kick in and diverge from knowledge.

When i see those threads, i always listen to the sounds they wonder about, and even though i don't have decades of music behind me, i'm always surprised about how obvious they are.

When you think about it, any sound is "obvious", if you've experimented enough with a bunch of things i believe there is no way you can't reproduce anything you can hear. It's ironically paradoxical because there aren't so many things you can actually do to a sound, in the sense that you don't invent new ways of treating a sound anymore, but at the same time there are so many combinations of things you can do to reach a single sound.

All i'm saying is, true learning isn't about how much knowledge you can stock up there. It's about discovery. We need to become independant again, being fed everything isn't healthy.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List