just curious... anyone use Digital Performer 9 at all (OSX or WIN)?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by krakdhaus, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I jumped that ship back at 6.

2. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Been using it since v3 (I'm on a Mac). It has no equal for MIDI or for film/TV scoring, and it handles VIs quite nicely. They've been steadily improving the audio side, but it's still way behind for track editing and mixing. I recently switched over to PT 12 for audio recording, and am mainly just using DP 9 for MIDI composition and scoring to picture ... which is frustrating, because most of my plugs are AUs and I have to use a wrapper in order to work with them in PT.

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

You are more than welcome to explain how to set it up and especially how do you overcome the GUI and fonts issues on Windows.

4. MrT

MrT Newbie

I use it as my main DAW on WIN10, and am still on DP8.
    I love the way it works, the win version suffers a bit from instability when doing audio editing on low buffer size. But, now you know - while recording keep the buffer low, when you go to audio increase it, problem solved.
    DP won't do anything for you routing-wise...You create a midi track, it doesn't magically produce a sound until you assign an instrument to it. I like it that way.
    My main template is orchestral with about 16GB of RAM used, with VEP, on the same machine (no slave), and I've had sessions many hours long with no crashing. Even though DP8 is the 1st win version. I imagine DP9 is even more stable.

It can do great stuff with midi - Reshape tool works nicely - like compress, scale...
    Anyway, try it, but do spend a little time with it.

Oh, and having multiple projects (chunks it's called) within the same project is a blessing for doing film work.

5. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I agree... the fonts are a major issue. I have dual 22" monitors that I sit @ 2 ft from. I gotta squint when looking at the plugins list (which... is also a bit wacky to look at and pick from). You can resize the tracks and stuff... but not the plugins list. The included effects and soft synths are nice... and editing is easy. For multitrack recording... I found it to be the easiest to set up and go... although sometimes I mix in a different DAW. Track count with audio and VSTi's is amazing.

6. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It is great software if you understand it. When you understand it is a spectacular and wonderful DAW, though it does steer its own course with workflow and paradigm. I use it, I think it is great, but I can understand that complexity of it might put off casual users and people that do not want to invest the time into relearning to do things the MOTU way.

There are few a features that are common in others DAWs that I've been waiting for (years and years) but it is worth putting the time into if you want a forever DAW and you are fresh.

TBH, there are very few bad DAWs out there nowadays, use whatever makes the most sense to you or whatever they make you use at work.

7. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

8. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@FerdinandIIIDeMedicis
    Thank you, this thread is quite useful, no questions. But you didn't address the GUI/fonts issue, maybe because you're not experiencing it luckily.

I would be more than willing getting back to DP if only it was possible to sort out this issue, this is the only thing that is stopping me from giving this DAW a serious try.

Maybe in version 10 I guess.

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I agree -- it's never been a "simple" program, but most of its features are the same across the board. I walked into Pro Tools thinking I'd have to learn how to use a new DAW, but again, if you've ever used a DAW before and know what you need to record or mix something, you can pretty much figure it all out fast. DP is a MIDI-centric program, and if you need a deep MIDI sequencer, that's the one to use. As for audio, I remember trying to set up simple auxiliary channels in v3 and not being able to figure it out at all (this was also back in the day when you literally had to shut off the MIDI and ASIO algorithms that one program was using so that DP could use its FreeMIDI algorithm and its MAS audio system in OS 9.2.2), so the audio side has come a really, really long way. Eventually, I'm sure all DAWs will be equally adept at both audio and MIDI, or venture off into their own territory, like Live and Reason.

10. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

can you make a tutorial how to setup the DAW under windows?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I think, largely due its chunks system, DP seems only second to Pro Tools in the World of film scoring so clearly has its pros, with Cubase nipping at its heels. I know a LOT of high profile film score poducers use it, suchbas Danny Elfman as an example.

I think it just runs better on Mac as it was only recently ported to Windows so is still finding its foundations on Windows. I think its nearly there though from what I have seen and read.

In term of seemingly low usage, i think thatbis largely because MOTU have never pushed it as much ans hars in terms of marketing as the likes of Steinberg and Avid do with their products, which means a smaller user base. Add to that the nature of this community here, where deep pockets are a limitation and why we are all mostly here, owning an expensive Mac here is something the minority do, so that probably explains the limited DP discussions here.

It is a DAW i keep meaning to try out to see whatbit is like though as its meant to be the DAW that performs best wirh the like of VE Pro (on Mac).

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

FYI, they just released an update today (9/13) to v9.5 for Mac and Windoze. The only big change seems to be the addition of Zynaptiq pitch and note audio manipulation that may or may not be on par with Melodyne's stuff.