just curious... anyone use Digital Performer 9 at all (OSX or WIN)?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by krakdhaus, Apr 15, 2017.

1. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I never see any posts about Digital Performer 9 (or any of the other versions). Got me wondering... has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

yeah i tried, uninstalled pretty fast. how 'bout you?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

DP is good software, but unfort. better for run on Mac than Windows. Windows version just has a lot of problems.

5. NeeboObeen

NeeboObeen Noisemaker

I've used it since it was just 'Performer'. For me no Daw gives me the flexibility that DP does. I use it for scoring, editing and mixing/mastering. Protools is a fine editor and I have needed to use it on many occasions but it's midi implementation is abhorrent in comparison. Other daws more than fulfill their users needs so no need to say which is best.

DP simply is the most intuitive compositionally for me and can be wonderfully tweaked to fit my workflow. When picture is involved I've found no better.

6. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I started out in '94 using Pro Tools 3, Cubase, Logic and DP. I've stuck with DP mostly. All I do is basic audio recording and mixing. DP's editing ways are a little easier than the rest. I don't come close to doing all what the software is available to do... but it is my go to DAW.
    I still keep my hands dirty with the rest (stopped getting the Cubase updates after v.5 though...), but with the relatively simple things I do... I'm just so used to DP... it's kinda 2nd nature.
    Recently I've been running it on Win10... but haven't come across any issues...yet.
    Just wanted to see why this DAW is hardly mentioned...

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I have been using Studio One on Windows 10 for the last three years and I am still satisfied but wanted to try something radically different.

After briefly looking at Sonar and FL Studio, I came across DP9. I really tried to go deep on this one but I decided to stop because of something that might seem rather stupid: the characters displayed on the screen were much too small for working comfortably even on my 23 ".

Unless I changed my screen resolution, there was no way to scale the GUI. Apparently I am far to be the only one with this issue, I also contacted MOTU and was told that there was no plan to rework the GUI on Windows.

I have seen people running DP on a 15 " laptop, I'm just wondering how they can see anything displayed unless they sit 10 cm away from the screen...

Well that's it, it might be unfortunate that something that dumb is a show stopper but this is what happened when a company does not listen to its users for the last three years or so.

Anyway, let's hope that DP 10 will fix this because I felt that this DAW has great potential, and not ony for film composers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

I actually still own it... but never use it.
    er wait... I think it's still DP8.

Ive tried em all... given em all a good try. Stayed with Ableton the longest... but now.. just the other day, a started f'ing with Reaper.

Totally sick.. and if you don't like it... just customize it.

BUt I use these daws for elctronicmusic.

As far as Indie-rock would be concerned... I would use daws for strictly tracking.. and try to stay out of the box like MOSTLY. No software effects or ANYTHING man.

If I couldn't really reproduce it live with hardware, I wouldn't use it.

9. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I demoed it for a brief period. This daw is a beast with deep midi functions which amazes you everytime when you discover something new. It was, I think, version 8 when windows version came out. I really liked it and had hard time to decide between this and Studio One. However, it was not stable on windows (at that time at least) and some basic vst routing to tiny fonts enlargement and creating buses etc, everything was pain in arse for a beginner (which I later discovered on the go). Then I found DP (demo) users forum, the worst ever forum I had ever encountered with a ghetto kind of mentality where your queries would linger on hanging without being answered or with a rude reply because you were a free user. This turned me really off because I had to look around elsewhere on how to do simple things. Part of it was the reason that it was new for Windows and even MOTU wasn't aware of many problems a Win user would encounter. Worse, there were no or few tutorial videos on youtube even for Mac. For me, the workflow was a little different and I would stuck on something for long period of time with no help or zero percent chance of your query being replied. Many vst(i)s constantly used in my workflow also turned out to be invalid which was another problem, however sometimes rescaning worked for some. One more thing played a role was because DP was initially for Mac/Apple so the mentality for Windows newcomers was not much welcoming and was like 'don't like it, leave' ...no offence to Mac users. Naturally, I leaned towards S1 and finally bought it which I don't use now as well.

10. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

i installed yesterday but i can not choose my Asio audio interface. Win 7 64 Bit .
    i tried several audio interfaces always the same problem. DP9 has a lot of problem with windows. its NOT a good choice for
    seriously making music

11. pandroid

pandroid Member

Excellent DAW for music production and film/video scoring. The workflow is just a thing that you need to get used to as in any other DAW. It will fit your way of working or not. Simply as that. The cpu performance is unbeatable on Mac for me, heavy sessions with a lot of plugins plus VSL instances. Rock solid since version 9, haven't crashed single time since the release which is about a year so far. Worth trying. I went through Logic, Live, Cubase and ended up with DP.

12. pandroid

pandroid Member

Your statement is a bit funny since you determine the whole DAW because it's not working either with crappy audio interface drivers or inability to set it up properly. Try running with ASIO4ALL maybe?

13. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Does DP have proper graphics scaling for high-res screens (1440p and "4k") of various sizes? Or tiny unreadable fonts?

14. TW

TW Guest

It is a typical daw with all function you expect from a professional daw. Strength is definatly midi. I would put it more in the corner of FL. I tested it while ago. DP is nice it just did not catch me. Probably cause i use a lot of "real miced instruments". And as i said i see the strength of DP in the midi corner.

15. pandroid

pandroid Member

I work on 27" Dell at 2560 x 1440 and it's just fine for me. Sit around 30cm from a screen. You can check it yourself, there's demo of DP.

16. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Installed but uninstalled. Icons were so small. my eye can't see digital performer tracks and icons

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@yabiss you been around a while eh? no warez links in forum m8

18. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

You are lucky or maybe you are using the Mac version. On my 23", the GUI is just a disaster for my eyes (or what is left of them).
    This is the main reason why I gave up despite the fact that it was promising.

19. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Let's just say that you are out of luck if you use the Windows version as the only way to scale the GUI is to change Windows resolution each time you use DP.

20. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Thanks for the reply. I guess potential users on Windows will have to wait for DP to get with the times.

21. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

It's my main DAW, I love it. Windows version is okay if you know how to set it up (which can be very hard if you don't know how to do it). The updates can be very few and far in between. Update 9.13 just came out today, the previous update came out almost one year ago if you can believe it (hear that in Nick Cave's voice). I feel like MOTU don't really give that much of a shit about this great software. I'm pretty sure DP would be dead if MOTU's bread and butter wasn't hardware. In any cases try it out, it's very hard to learn but it's worth it. It's the cryengine of DAWs. :D