Just a reminder

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judge Dredd, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

To back up your song data.

I just got another 32gb usb drive to make the glorious third copy of all my song files and associated patches etc.

For the sake of a tenner you'd be a dummy not to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Backup is the mother of all self-assurance. I always have two redundant HDDs shadowing what I do locally. Also I have automated most of my OS and ancillaries re-install routines, plus most of the good stuff I typically use on a daily/weekly basis. May sound over zealous, but if my HDD should die on me right now I am back running as normally within a span of hours on a fresh one. Including DAW, Kontakt 5, Waves 9/10 and Flightsimulator, tweaked & all. Backup, backup, backup.

Edit: :guru:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Yes, backups are very important
    I'm doing monthly backups. But on one internal 3 TB HD and a second external one, so I have several years there, not only of music, all un-recoverable files, photos, contracts etc ...

5. FiX

FiX Kapellmeister

Yes, automating re-installation of programs and settings is good and very easily accomplished using (freeware) Install Creator. It lets you compress a selected directory tree for safekeeping and instant recall when necessary, e.g. post-crash.

6. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Also, do regular test restores and backup reviews. Don't wait for the "day of death" to check!

7. Fesster

Fesster Noisemaker

I'm OCD when it comes to backing up song data. I save back-ups on 5 external drives and make 5 copies of my C drive image file. I've had hard drives fail in the past and learned my lesson.:(

8. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

And then.. "booomm".. One perfectly ordinary day, electricity is gone. Oil, coal, wind, water, steam are there; turbines are there.. but electricity; not a single fuNcking spark. Something changed in subatomic correlations; and because that minor unnoticed phenomena shift, the whole human - on individual persona level, electricity dependent - civilization, crumbled miserably.

Noooooo.. my preeeeecious.. data of me (or/and vice versa).. !!!..

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Amen, although you're preaching to choir on this one. I had a whole album's worth of sound files, DAW project files and all my extraneous MIDI files on a piece-of-shit 80 GB Seagate drive from the early 2000's that magically just crapped out one day. Years of work ... gone, no backups, no nothing. Fortunately, I had burned some demos to CD, so I can still attempt to recreate some of that stuff by ear, but it was a hell of a loss. Now, I TM whenever possible, plus back up all my documents and sound data to a separate drive and burn everything to physical media. You never know.

10. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Good.