Juno 106 - Hiss noise when recording

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Firstedition, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Firstedition

Firstedition Newbie

Hi people,

Im having a problem with my Juno 106. When i record in logic i get this hissing background noise when im not recording in the sequencer.
    However, when i do play it disappears.

Im running it through a 1/4 jack cable into my M-audio fasttrack.

Would love some help on this matter.

Thanks.

3. paradise_hell

paradise_hell Newbie

Latency i guess...

4. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Use the Midi port instead alot of those old hardware keyboards are hissy its what gives you the warn analog sound live
    or try changing the 1/4 cable you dont notice hiss when playing cause it drowns it out, ebay also sells the old rackmount Hush units i think made by Rocktron !! old school but effective Cheap, Cheap

Used http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKTRON-HUSH-2CX-NOISE-REDUCTION-SYSTEM-/200721685369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebbf1db79#ht_500wt_1156

New http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocktron-Hush-Ultra-Stereo-Noise-Reducer-NEW-free-US-shipping-/170770201468?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27c2b27b7c#ht_2151wt_1163

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Real instruments have a noise floor. Easy to gate it, but it is probably so many db down that it won't matter much, unless you start compressing.

6. theBadger

theBadger Newbie

the 106 is a good old analog synth. although it is old it should not be *especially* noisy at idle unless a) It is broken or b) you've got it set up wrong. I have two Junos that I've used on an almost daily basis since new.

I am prepared to wager that you have some sort of compressor (or limiter or channel strip) set up on either the input channels of logic or the channel you are recording onto. This could give just this effect: Louder noise when you are not playing and then it disappears when you start to play. Makeup gain being the issue here. If so then good news! Just insert a little light gating before the compressor and you will be sorted.

If on the other hand, your Juno is genuinely making a lot of noise at idle then you will want to prove that it is indeed the culprit. I would start by plugging the keyboard into an amplifier and listening to hear if the noise is still present. (Check the headphone out too.) If it is then you may have a problem that will require some servicing.

The juno is a simple beast. The service manual, such as it is, is readily available on line. Depending on where you live there should be someone who can service it. BUT... Check and make sure that the fault is with the Juno first. :)

tB