Jimmy Page: How we wrote Stairway to Heaven

Discussion in 'Music' started by SillySausage, Oct 15, 2014.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Stairway to Heaven was one of the biggest rock songs of the 1970s - loved, imitated and sometimes parodied.

Now Led Zeppelin's classic track is back on the turntable, on a re-mastered version of the band's fourth album.

Forty-three years after its release, the song continues to hold a place in many music fans' hearts.

Guitarist Jimmy Page gives a personal account of how a rock anthem came together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDo4CA13LbY :beg: :headbang:

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29550639

3. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Thx for the share man..

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Nice one SirSilly, appreciate the share mate. :thumbsup:

5. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

My mate went to see them just to see Jimmy play this, all very many yonks ago
    He showed me, although I've forgotten a lot, but do remember it was based a lot around the fifth fret
    The main chord progression is based on one of J.S Bach's organ pieces, not that they realised that when they were writing it

6. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Defo a haunting song.

Not sure I`m down with the bands spiritual practices :( but they sure as HELL made their mark on modern music.

7. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Big thanks SirSilly :wink: :wink:

8. oidua

oidua Member

Take a listen to this song Taurus by a band called Spirit from their self-titled debut album (1968):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

Hear any similarities..?
    :bow:

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Always remove the s in https to make use of Soundcloud or YouTube embedding. Maybe I should make that my signature. :rofl:

10. demian777

demian777 Newbie

yeah, yeah...that's well known thing, but, however...it's a masterpiece.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

He obviously left out a few of the steps :rofl:

12. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

The Spirit song, ironically, sounds like some soundtrack variation on "Stairwary."

I'm old enough to have bought that very Led Zeppelin album a few years after its original release; it's the only one I owned. Not that I really had to – I was forced to hear it somanyfucking times, against my will, along with certain other albums (such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon), in social situations, that I now could stand and would really prefer not to hear "Stairway" and a lot of other old over-played, inappropriately-imposed songs ever again. In other words: it sounded cool at the time, but it's unfortunately been ruined for me by having to hear it so much and in inappropriate contexts.

The saturation of Led Zeppelin (and a few other bands of the era) was such that they were edified by it; their reputation continues to aid significantly the "appreciation" of their music. To their credit, they were really good musicians, and when they weren't plagiarizing much-less-successful musicians, or just taking entire songs and putting their own names on them, they came up with some good stuff. It's just that they were marketed right down our collective throat, which is to this day mistaken for how "great" they were and, by dint of nostalgia and re-marketing, they remain.

Still like me some 'Floyd now and then – up through Wish You Were Here, minus Dark Side of the Moon.

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

JP was a session musician from a young age so he was exposed to all kinds of stuff which I guess got stuck in his head.

14. 2fingerslydon@gmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

I don't know how many times I've pretty much heard that verbatim from my mum whenever I DARED put any incarnation of Eric Clapton on.. or even mentioned his name in the same sentence as "I like" or "is good."

15. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Led Zep is the greatest rock band simply because they always have good songs in all albuns, no one does that.
    I think I saw all the shows of them and its a shame that they are way better at studio...

16. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

No-one and No-body writes lyrics today like they use to in the 70-80s Take a look at Warrant Uncle toms Cabin these are God Given talent lyrics Rock of Ages

17. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

Seems like it, I had another mate went to see them in the seventies, He enjoyed their acoustic stuff but said he couldn't understand why they got a a reputation for being tight, they were anything but on this occasion