Jdownloader2 wants to record screen...

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Musix, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Musix

Musix Noisemaker

I noticed on Monterey, that Jdownloader2 wants a permission to record screen. I don't remember giving that permission to it, but when I went to security & privacy - privacy - screen recording, there it was on the list of apps with permission. I took the permission away, and jdownloader works normally. But it did ask for the permission the next time I launched the app.

I didn't find anything about this issue googling, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows anything about this. Why would it want to record screen... other than to steal passwords and such?

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

it is fine here on windows, never had problems with JD2.

i assume you downloaded the ad free version from their page? not fallen for the numeros other pages on the web offering version with malware inside?

i have never tested since i continuously updated from 2009 from 0.7 till JD2, whatever version we have now.

4. stopped

stopped Producer

my guess would be for captcha solving, but I find it very suspicious that google has nothing on jdownloader wanting these permissions. I'd also check the extension section to see if something installed there might be responsible

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Uninstall the JDownloader, scan you System for Virus, trojan, Spam etc, use the free adwcleaner https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner restart your PC and download another Version from Jdownloader https://jdownloader.org/download/index?s=lng_en

6. Musix

Musix Noisemaker

I have a Mac with macOS Monterey, so virus scanning isn't really a thing like it is on PC. I've had this version of Jdownloader2 for years and years (like 10 or something) and it was originally from their page...and I update it automatically. The only ad I see, is the small banner on top corner advertising rapidgator.

The fact that there is no mention of screen recording anywhere when I google this, makes me highly suspicious.

They do offer adware free version for Mac too, but I don't think any adware was installed in first place. At least I can't find any.

Is jdownloader website the safest place to get the install file from?

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this could be, there is a folder for captchas, could be JD2 makes pictures in its interface? This might require previleges on macos and windows maybe not.
    files are saved as png, but i havnt solved in a long time any captchas with JD2.

From their page: https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2 (adfree setup!)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  8. demberto

demberto Rock Star

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List