JBL Control 1

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mercurysoto, Mar 21, 2015.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Hi, mates. I've been offered a pair of Control 1 speakers. What's your experience with them? They seem to be broadcast speakers. I've been asked for 100 bucks for them. Is it a good investment? They are used but in good shape. I haven't listened to them yet as I need to set up an amplifier (I thought those days were gone :D ). Would they make a good pair or additional studio reference speakers once I learn them? Will they be trustworthy studiowise? The JBL tag holds up a great reputation.

What do you think? Have a nice day.

3. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

They were originally designed as live reinforcement monitors. I had them in the past (20 years?) and, for that purpuse, they did what they were asked to do.
    They are certainly NOT studio monitors and a second hand pair is worth far less than 100$.

As Studio Monitors the lowest they get is 80Hz meaning you'll need to pair them with a subwoofer for any decent Studio work.

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

If I were to use them as grotbox speakers and have a chance to bargain my way, how much should I offer?

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

I've got a pair of Control one II's in the garage.

The foam suspension material has perished. I purchased a repair kit but haven't got around to,doing the work yet.

The're Ok for general purpose / HiFi / bookshelf type of use but not really for studio monitoring.
    Check eBay for indicative prices.

6. okan1151

okan1151 Newbie

I also use them for grotbox speakers, they help me to get the balance right very well, i got mine on ebay for £30, lucky!

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I had a pair long ago. To obtain good basses with it you need to push them at 50 watts, that's quite high level (Depending how is your place).
    100 $ is too much, and I wouldn't recommend them as Studio Monitors.

8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

I finally ran a test on them. I paired them with a Soundtech PL200 amp and listened to them. I really didn't like them. I'm giving them back to the owner. When he gave them to me to see if I was interested I loved how sturdy they seem to be given their size, but at the end of the day the sound they give is all.

Thanks everyone for your kind input.