java error?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by funkman, Sep 1, 2022.

1. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

hi,i installed an ssd in my system today,so done fresh install of windows 10.
    downloaded download assistant,installed,went to install cubase 11 pro i get

java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “cmd” (in directory “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant”): CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid

w.t.f?
    never seen this before
    havent seen a java error in about 20 years

3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Have you tried running that as admin? Either that, or maybe disabling UAC will work, and/or chagning permissions on program files so that your local user will have rights. But I'm guessing it's a permissions issue (thus the run as admin suggestion).

4. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

reinstalled download assistant,ran as admin
    same result

5. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

i went into task manager.download assistant running (32bits) even though im on 64 bit machine
    whats that all about?

6. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Does the folder it's mentioning actually exist? Usually 32 bit stuff is in c:\Program Files (x86) if you are running 64-bit Windows.

7. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

i looked there,and for some reason download assistant is been put in program files x86 steinberg

8. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

As I'm sure you've seen, it seems like a lot of people have had this problem.. there's actually a solution here that worked for a couple of people. It's the second post from the bottom. I'd assume the important part is from point 10 onward, but might want to do the whole suggestion anyways.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/steinberg-download-assistant-unable-to-start/746522/15

Yah, I think that's probably the problem.. 32 bit apps, as mentioned, go in program files x86. This one runs as 32-bit, but the error you see is looking in the 64-bit program files folder. I don't actually use Cubase at all, so I'm not sure if their download assistant is really only 32-bit, or if you're running some old version or what, but hopefully the steps above in that link will get you sorted out.

Edit: quickly installed the Steinberg Download Assistant, and yes, it's only 32-bit

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

uninstalled it,deleted steinberg folder from program files x86,reinstalled download assistant,and once again it goes to x86 steinberg

10. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

i had no problem with it before i installed the ssd
    they on about doing sfcscannow,and DISM
    FLIP ME,i only got the ssd setup today and already having to do sfcscannow and DISM
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

11. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I quickly downloaded and installed the Steinberg Download Assistant, and it IS 32-bits only. That is why it shows in program x86.

That all said, have you tried just downloading Cubase Pro directly? It looks like you can do that here.. maybe do that instead if the Steinberg Download Assistant is being a pain in the butt (and just uninstall that):

https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/cubase_11/cubase_pro_11.html

Yah I found that part of the steps pretty odd to have to do, so that's why I was kind of hoping you could skip to step 10 and it would work. Anyways, try downloading Cubase Pro 11 directly, and eff their stupid download manager. :)

12. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

before u suggestsed,i did download directly.
    but its going to taske me now,as it worked ok before when i had windows on hdd last week
    1st day of ssd and already hassle!

13. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

ill actually try from point 10 tomoz morning
    i thought u meant message 10! hehe
    thanks

14. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Good luck!

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Resolving The Problem
    Verify that the account starting the Executive service has proper permissions for the directory in which the file is located.
    Verify that the directory and file exist in the path given.

If the path has a space in the name, the entire path\filename in the Execute Program field and working
    directory MUST be enclosed on double quote (").
    For example, if the file were located on the share \\server\program files\myfile.exe, the Execute Program path would need to be input as "\\server\program files\myfile.exe" and the working directory path would need to be "\\server\program files".

Source: www.ibm.com/support/pages/process-control-failing-rc-267-when-running-execprogram-sterling-gentranserver-microsoft-windows

16. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

step 10 worked thanks

17. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Awesome, glad to hear it!