Jamming Guitar with Reaper, What's the best method to change presets?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by tater_one, Mar 7, 2017.

1. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Hello Reaper lovers!
    I know there are some power reaper users on here so I decided to ask here first! What is the best method of changing presets while playing back audio at the same time with Reaper? I've been designing mega guitar patches using patchworx, then saving presets as .rpl, reaper presets, and switching them via midi with an action. Problem is this method freezes up sometimes.
    So, I was wondering if there was a better way to switch vst presets of multiple vsts at the same time while playing back audio? So, I could use Reaper as a guitar jam along, speed trainer, etc. I have it working with an iRig Blueboard switching the reaper .rpl presets and Midi Designer sending the midi from the Blueboard. But it hangs sometimes. I was thinking that maybe using LBX Stripper script to design a bunch of controls and I don't know if its possible to save presets or snapshots in LBX Stripper and switch them via midi?
    Also, was looking around at maybe saving Track Presets and switching them via midi? Or Snapshots? Or maybe FX Chains?
    Any and all advice welcome! What do you guys think is the smoothest way to switch presets of multiple vsts via midi, in Reaper vst rack or using third party vst rack like Patchworx, on the fly with the least amount of lag or hang?

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I usually do it with the mouse or with a midi master keyboard the way You described.

but there are actually many ways to do it... You can even have multiple instances of Your amp sim or whatever, and instead of changing patches You change channels if the sim is causing any problems (each instance of Your amp sim on a separate track)

For some time I even used an old gaming Joystick on the floor, and changed presets with it. (R2R has released a utility some time ago that aloud You to use any joystick as a midi device) ...it was very cool, funny and practical

I think You should be able to use even an automation thing in reaper to change presets, but not sure for this one... try it

But I think that multiple instances on different channels should be the best option for You, if I got right what You would like to do... just a bit of preparation before You play, to fill the channels with all your FX chains...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

So, what you are saying by channels is tracks? Like set up different guitar patches on different tracks, then switch record arm and monitor on for a different track, thus switching tracks?

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

yes, exactly :bow:
    I used that system a few times in the past with other daws, when I needed to switch FX CHAINS live, and there was no fx chain feature in a daw (it was before Reaper)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This is pretty interesting! Good post, @tater_one!
    I was thinking about showing this to one of my bandmates that is in bad need of an effects rack or multi-fx unit. He's using stomp boxes right now, but I think could benefit from a little more versatility.

7. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

the only solution that i recommend is jamvox, it automatically changes your presets for each track that you have. If you want only jam i recommend that

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Waves has a "standalone" application that is perfect for what You are looking for (part of the waves 9 bundle):

setup:

usage:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Ok, I've done some more testing and I think I found the best solution for me. A user on the Reaper forum pointed me to an answer.
    SWS Snapshots! Thank you for that guy on Reaper forum!
    Switching presets using the .rpl presets via midi freezes Reaper. SWS Snapshots hasn't froze up yet! I imagine that the SWS Live Mode would work as well but I don't like recalling the presets from a big list using specific midi commands. My footswitch only has four buttons so Live Mode is out for me. I prefer just switching to next and previous presets. Just stack up presets in the order you would switch to them during song and switch to next snapshot using midi. SWS Snapshots does this for me. Load up whatever vsts on a track using Patchworx or whatever large vst patch you need. Save some snapshots of selected track only and fx chains only. Then midi learn recall next and previous snapshot in the action list! Done! Gonna do more testing but I think this is working fine.

Thank you everyone for your advice! @Rhodes I don't really need all that waves jazz. Plus I need to play along to mp3 files. Don't think Multirack can load mp3. I'm fine with built in Reaper vst rack or patchworx. Plus I'm trying to be legit only using stuff I can afford. Never will I ever be able to afford Waves. Was just having problems with it freezing while switching the .rpl presets. Doesn't freeze using snapshots. Thanks for the idea about just switching tracks. That was a possibility I didn't consider. Really if Patchworx had a setting to switch to next and previous presets I wouldn't need any of this. But Patchworx is the same as SWS Live Mode, it only saves a giant list to be recalled by a bunch of midi commands and you can't just go up and down through the list using next and previous. If Patchworx made a midi learnable next and previous preset command, using snapshots or .rpl presets wouldn't even be necessary. @pelao Yes most guitar sims have midi or automation preset switching, I was looking for a solution that wouldn't bind me to one guitar sim and only its built in fx. I wanted to be able to switch multiple vsts at the same time opening up huge tone possibilities to combine guitar sims with other guitar sims and good vst FX. You can even automate Reaper preset changes in Reaper itself. Then you would have to automate each song you wanted to learn/play and that is tedious. Having preset recall using next and previous gives ME the control to switch up and down through the presets willingly.
    Also, I wanted to check out LBX Stripper. Seems pretty cool. You could load up vsts, make a channel strip using LBX Stripper, and switch presets of LBX Stripper. Anyone tried that yet? Seems like it makes Reaper into having a built in NYRV Agent or Patchworx!
    I haven't tried New Sonic Arts Freestyle, it may have a next and previous preset switch. Of the few I've tried Patchworx is the most stable and least cpu hog. If anyone knows of a third party VST rack that has the ability to switch to next and previous preset that would work too! Of the ones I've tried they only give you the option to save a giant list of midi control change messages which would require more buttons on your footswitch or the ability to bank up and down with a footswitch to access the different presets.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

There are a few ways to incorporate plugin FX to a guitar rig.
    1) place an interface on the amp's efx loop. Can't be any worse than placing a rack unit in series? I had a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 in series for a while with good results.

2) In the amp's efx loop I have a TC Elecctronic 1128, a great MIDI analog EQ for tone shaping/solo boost and a signal splitter.
    1/4" output goes back to the amp, XLR out goes to an interface -> laptop running Ableton -> small Yamaha PA, controlled by a BEhringer FCB1010. My piezo out now has proper EQ, comp and an acoustic IR in the chain.

11. digitaldragon

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've been running my rig using the 4 cable method, and it works really well with a Roland GP-100 (Guitar Multi-FX) as I can place the preamp section of the amp anywhere in the effects chain. So I can run eq, compression, etc. either before the preamp or after, and it's all programmable per patch. I would think that if you had an interface with 4 channels, this could be accomplished with plugin FX and routing in the DAW.
    I'm controlling my rig with a Rocktron Midimate. Have to figure out some similar method of foot control as well after determining all the other stuff works. I've got a Lexicon Omega so that's 2 channels (need 4 outputs, Omega only has 2) and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro as well.
    I'm interested in this as an experiment.

12. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Why would you need 4 channels? Only need two, no?

I used to own the Digitech GSP1101, which had 4CM routing but I didn't like the guitar signal after converting ADDA twice. The Digitech is a great multi FX unit in series though. You can even load IRs.

13. digitaldragon

Absolutely. I was thinking in stereo for some reason. :dunno: Great catch, as it negates the need to use an additional interface.

Actually, here's an NI post where a guy outlines how to wire this up in post #9:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/anyone-using-guitar-rig-live-onstage.190887/

I want to try to set this up at some point.

I was eyeballing those Digitech units at one time. Wasn't aware that you could load IR's into it.

14. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

The Behringer FCB1010 with the UNO 'stompbox mode' chip might come in handy at some point for a cheap foot controller solution.

The added benefit, having an interface in a guitar rig, is the fact that you're always ready to record an inspiration. It's much easier to reamp a preamp's line signal later, when you have time to experiment with mic positioning.

After discovering the Olonga high res amp files (thanks Audiosex!) I'm almost ready to stop lugging around tube amps........almost.

15. digitaldragon

I think I've already got this. I will look at it too.

The Nebula Presets or does he have some IR's up as well? I would think the Nebula Presets (which I have used myself, and there's nothing I've heard ITB that's as real sounding) would introduce too much latency, though I haven't actually tested so YMMV.

That's actually a great idea for acoustics. I have definitely got to experiment with this now. I was going to run my acoustic through a Roland GP-16, but I think I'll get much better results using plugins.

I always record a DI when tracking guitars. Nothing kills the guitarists inspiration quicker than fiddling with mic placement to get it right. This way I can experiment with amp tone/settings, which amp/cab, and mic placement without the added stress of being under a time constraint while doing it. Having the guitarist say "I don't like that sound" without hearing how it sits in the mix is something I can usually do without as well.

16. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

These are amp IR's on his free section.

You're about to introduce two trips of in out in out? You're gonna get double latency.
    One of the reasons I chose to use option 2 in my post above. By splitting the preamp signal, even if the computer goes down, my dry electric will always be there, latency free.

I see you mention the GP-16. I wish I still had my GP-8!

17. digitaldragon

I'll be checking these out. Didn't realize he had also done some IR's.

Yes, testing on my end will definitely be required to see what would prove most useful live. Even one trip in/out may prove to be too much latency for me. I hope not as I think I'd really like to use this for the acoustic signal chain which would be guitar in and straight to the PA, no amp involved. But for experimentations sake, I'd like to try the 4 cable method to see what's what.

I read where a lot of guitarist prefer the GP-8's distortion over the GP-16. I usually used the preamp section in my Marshall JCM-800 for distortion so it didn't really bother me. They were some damn flexible processors, really ahead of their time. I got my hands on a GP-100 just last year, and love it because I didn't have to read the whole book to understand how to use it. Really close to the GP-16 in terms of usage. I know stomp pedals are where it's at these days, but gigging, I really liked the ease of getting hooked up and ready to roll with a multi effect.