Jacob Collier

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Ezpk22, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Ezpk22

Ezpk22 Ultrasonic

He's only 24 years old and is SUPER talented. He has perfect pitch and plays too many instruments hahah

This song starts in D A432 and ends in D A440

He also won a grammy for this arrangement of "Fascinating Rhythm" by Gershwin

I'm just amazed and inspired by his music and I'd love to hear what you all think.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

"Too many instruments" :rofl:

Yeah, he's amazing. The videos you posted are old though. His newer stuff is even more interesting.

4. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

Not a big fan. I don't think his music is inspiring at all. Show off? sure. Talented? sure.

It's only my opinion of course:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Ezpk22

Ezpk22 Ultrasonic

I totally respect that! :)

Hahaha! Very true! I'm curious about his new upcoming album.

6. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

I can hear 18khz means I have perfect pitch and use to play Trumpet, Piano and Guitar, kettle drum ad Bugel. Now I cannot get those skills back 4 decades down by playiong by ear. Bills ad Life, Work really has an impact on practice . You really need to work these skills from 6-15 years old non stop to have for the rest of your lif.e There are musicians who have mastered guitar in 2 years in their 20 years, but usually from upper middle class backgrounds. Most of the music industry today comes from Drama or private school education.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Impressive, but can he produce trap beats complete with trap vocal?

8. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

yeah lot of scales and mental harmonies for jazz minded people, very cool

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Holy crap, I wasn't expecting this, he rips! And actually is rocking vocals.. really refreshing to hear!

10. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

justin bieber 2.0 ¿

11. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

Amazing musician but not digging him vocally.

12. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I got to know him because of this:

Reminding me a bit of Take Six...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Maybe, but with some talent in Collier's case.

14. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

What I really like in Collier's work is that he's always interested in going beyond mainstream music theory in an experimental, playful, enjoyable way. At least for the ones that like his style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Well, ain't that a shame! :rofl:

How he does it (you might learn something or two nonetheless):

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

First listened to Collier when he did the arrangement for "You and I" by Stevie Wonder (got a Grammy for that, I think) and I was blown away by looking at the transcription of that one. Also listened to some interviews and lessons he gave. Some fresh approaches to composition/ (re)harmonization

..although, when discussing his interviews with those who really know the craft (I'm NO authority here), they were like "You say tomayto, I say tomahto", but the way He says it, is more "fancy". Nothing wrong with it! in todays' world, you have to be clever to attract audience to this certainly above average approach to music.

So my purely subjective conclusion is.. talented? As an arranger - hell yeah! (He can ofc. also ruin a perfectly good song by overdoing it). Show-off? Of course. And I say, why not? He should be (and he is) talented in getting as much attention as possible in this business. Btw, he's also good at getting the right people around him. As a singer, he's good and IMO just that.. is he better than Sting? Bowie? ..Tom Waits?

You can see he's admiration for Stevie Wonder. No wonder. If we call this young guy talented, what's Stevie? An alien? ;) ..because music is so much more than snippets of harmonization wizardry. It's some kind of magic ..and even Collier knows, he isn't there (yet?).

And this works even after 40 years.. (don't mind who's singing)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I like how Lady Gaga is not playing the Rhodes... :winker:
    Great voice and great band though :wink:

18. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

I know she can play some piano.. Elton John style - hit&miss ;) ..not sure 'bout Rhodes though. :winker: She surely had to wait long time before she could show she CAN sing (yeah, it's The Industry..) Here she reminds me a bit of the Muppets' drummer, The Animal.. LOL.

(Almost) back on topic: @Ezpk22, don't want to discard what Collier is doing. Mind, how much work is put into this.. He also works on music/video interaction - when performing live too and has this kind-human approach. But like already said IMO making it complex as much as possible doesn't guarantee good music..

if you are interested in this kind of stuff I'd suggest you also check Adam Neely. You can pick up some ideas there. In the video below @ 12:30 he talks about an important argument regarding instructional videos on youtube.. so don't get scared because Ariana Grande is involved. C'mon, she's only 1,53 m (it's 5′ 0″ I think?) :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  19. Ezpk22

Ezpk22 Ultrasonic

Very dope video man!! Thank you for your perspective also!

I think what I love most about his work is that while it is complex, he makes it like that because of how it makes himself feel. I'm constantly surrounded by people who mainly make music for others and that is totally fine, but can be very limiting and exhausting. I remember watching him in a video saying that people shouldn't always be tied down by the theory of music, instead go on how it makes you feel. I quite enjoy and agree with that aspect as well although I still like to learn a bit of theory. Also, his production skills are pretty amazing! One of the many reasons why I also love Jon Bellion's music haha. Making a fairly successful album by yourself can definitely be tough!

And I don't necessarily think that he is the BEST singer but I love his intonation and microtonal approach when singing! :)

20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

None of his music is memorable in my opinion. I consider Jacob’s material to be a part of the Berklee genre which basically is music filled with “clever” harmonic devices couched in relevant production techniques but lack honesty and soul.
    And what’s with Jacob always looking like the Gatekeeper from Ghostbusters with those outfits? Weird...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. Ezpk22

Ezpk22 Ultrasonic

This song gave me shivers!

Interesting!! :) Just curious, what do you mean by lacking honesty and soul?? Like he isn't giving 100% to his music/performances??