izotope matching eq?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by paraplu020, Oct 14, 2012.

1. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

hey this is the first time i'm going to try out this function. are any of yall already using this and what are your experiences with this? seems fun and handy to me, but is it also really useful in practical application, also how long do you capture your snapshots?

see yall later! *yes*

:wink:

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

tried it a few times. it ended up, doing it manually and trust my ears.
    its also recommanded by a friend - who is an audio engineer since 15 years.

on what material you want to try the EQ matching? but lets see what other saying.

4. martel80

martel80 Producer

if you get a reference and like to analyse it for knowing wath was his balance, then why not !!

The thing is....you might have a couple little modification to do in the end because you choosed different sound but in the mean time....it usefull to achieve a certain balance in sound ......sometimes, certain producer ° mastering engeneer just do things differently, and you might want to do that sound, so that way....its easier to figure out how they did ( by analyzing their frequency curve i mean )

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

The great problem now (maybe have a solution in the future) is that most instruments have a dinamic EQ. The voice or a wah guitar have a hard changes, for instance. Your ears, as someone said, is good option but it doesnt mean much if you do not have good monitor, headphones and good meters. I think that mixing and mastering is like a hand made clothes, hardly serves for diferent bodies, I always ask for me what the music really wants but the problem is that egos always want different things...

6. Dynamic Force

Dynamic Force Newbie

Like ArticStorm Says it's always better to thrust your ears. Besides that if you want to reverse engineer a sound you like you simply don't make it by just match the frequency spectrum of that sound.

For ezxample you don't know how many voices they use you don't see how much compression or what effects they use you hear that or not. It's better to thrust and recognise sine, saw, pulse, or square waves after that see how the harmonic content is build when a certain note or chord is played and don't forget the filters, LFO and detuning effects on the synthesizer. The more voices the bigger the frequency spectrum. also an important thing is the difference in PLugins or hardware they use. Some plugins are just not the right quality.

On the other hand When you mixing and you want to see how much they roll off in the EQ or how much they add at a certain point in the frequency spectrum it's not a bad idea to match eq settings. But it will never sounds the same as your refference material.

I hope this will help you.

all The best,

Crossfade AKA Dynamic Force

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I used matching EQ to reduce phasing issues.

ie, EQ up 'lost' frequencies: dry audio (no phasing) vs wet+dry audio (phasing) due to a non-linear phase filter.

I also found which frequency ranges to adjust the phase (another way of reducing phasing)

8. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i think it is a good learning tool it give you a good perspective on how a commercial song is EQ-ed :wink:

9. davpat

davpat Newbie

ok i was trying this the other day. so what i done was put asong in ableton and izotope on master and prest match eq button , and now what??