(iZotope.com) Neutron is Available

Discussion in 'Software News' started by thantrax, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

When I noticed there are some mixing and mastering presets I figured I'd try it in a mastering situation with track assistant in medium track assistant type and try out each of the 3 presets, Broadband Clarity, Warm and Open and Upfront Midrange to see what if anything it came up with.
    Pleasantly surprised, its come up with 3 real nice (tweakable) starting points for a final master depending on the tonal direction I want to take. I'm liking this a lot, I reckon I'll spend some time with it experimenting.

2. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I'm testing this plug and it seems interesting but I can't figure out how to make the EQ dynamics works in sidechain with another track in ableton Live, any tips?

3. Mayson656

Mayson656 Noisemaker

Watch here

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Thank you very much, that's excatly what I was looking for! :wink:

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Can anybody explain why everyone is so hyped about it? I don't see anything interesting there. Big deal, hundreds of bands of multiband compression, why bother. Multiband compressors are already cumbersome enough to keep me using a regular single-band counterpart.

6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

7. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Okay, so Ozone with auto-adjusting presets. Still don't get why so much hype. I guess the magic "spectral processing" buzzword got everyone excited.

8. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Hi there, I noticed a few things strange about CPU performance :

I have better CPU performance with the button Zero latency activated, it's subtle but it is there.

And sometimes I got bigger changes for the exact same track instance of Neutron, before I write this message,
    one of the instance was between 1,5 % and 1,7 %, and now it's at 1 %

All this with Reaper 5.

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

On the contrary, I was intrigued by that part but I've never seen it addressed since. I think maybe the only part of it that's based on spectral processing is the little Neutrino Mode at the bottom.

What's so great about it is that you can actually trust it to detect resonances and unwanted frequences. I've done enough testing to believe I can generally trust that it will pick up on the same stuff I would. So that's saving me 5-10 minutes of cleanup work on... i don't know.. half the tracks in m projects.

Just my two cents

10. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

IMO It's a lil' bit overrated. If I need to detect resonances I can use TDR VOS SlickEQ-GE. That precious TDR stuff works perfectly and satisfy my needs. The Vintage oompressor? I can use OverTone DSP FC70 on drum-buss as usual or u-he Presswerk. Also... I own enough transient manager to manage every transient which "is going to cross my way". :grooves:

So... why the hell should I use it?

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Eh.. don't, I guess? lol

I like it. Saves me some time of doing my least favorite mixing task. I love it for tracking too. Drop it on a track in zero latency mode and get a nice compression and distortion going in the headphone mix.

12. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Okay, watched a bit on it. So... Neutrino to me changes literally nothing. Nothing I can hear. Way too subtle to even bother. The auto-adjusting preset feature is useless, too. It's just 90% miss and you'll need to tweak it anyway. What I do like about it though is the ability to see and edit 2 EQs at once, plus the masking feature. Compressor, transient designer - nothing interesting. EQ is the deal here and tbh it's pretty cool. Might give it a shot.

Also, here's an in-depth review I watched:

13. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i also find mixing the most boring thing in the world. tools like this could make my rough tracks sound a little bit more 'polished' or 'pro' or whatever without spending the tedious time of doing it yourself- they are welcomed with open arms!
    i much prefer making patches in synths and making tunes. i grew up on software with no filters, eq or compressors, it was all simple creation and that is what i like :)

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah... I'm not really that interested in defending it. I like track assistant. Saves me time on the lamest aspect of mixing. I always thought Izotope's distortions sounded good too. The compressors do what they're supposed to. I do some light problem solving with them and then use Presswerk or Maximus for the heavy lifting.

Works for me.

15. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It's not a good auto-mixer. Tbh in that regard it's quite crappy. It doesn't save time at all. Check the video I posted above. It does all kinds of weird shit and fixes nothing. It's the visuals and being able to see 2 EQs at once that's cool, but this "track assistant" just doesn't work at all.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Neutron’s Track Assistant saves you time by listening your audio and recommending custom starting points for your track. The analysis intelligence within Neutron allows Track Assistant to automatically detect instruments, recommend the placement of EQ nodes, and set optimal settings for other modules.

So a more advanced EZMix?
    Any one demoed this yet?
    Remember, less is more.Once you understand the basics of EQ and Compression you will own this plugin.
    Seems to me like targeting beginners who havent learned the basics yet.Could be wrong though.

17. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

@Von_Steyr & @Cav Emp

In a previous post I asked myself: what is Neutron? I change my mind after the forum chit chat. I say:

It's not Alloy 2, neither Alloy 3. It looks like Ozone but it is not. We could say, mathematically, it is composed:
    (45% Alloy 2 + 5% Ozone) + (40% TA + 10% Neutrino) = Track Assistant Advanced or Neutrino TA Edition

'cause the TA is the fodundamental idea behinde the developing of Neutron. Neutron without the TA is Alloy 3. Nothing more. Nothing less.

P.S.
    Without the TA, who would buy/use it? :dunno:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Now i have to test this.

19. ash1

ash1 Ultrasonic

whats not to like a good learning tool and a good starting point for mixing
    its still only version 1 so im sure izotope will add to whats already there in updates

20. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Yes, this guy demoed it and it's a giant pile of shit: