Ivy Bridge Rumours?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Sonar_Eclipse, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

I've been waiting a long time to buy a PC because of the announcements for Intel's Ivy Bridge Processor. I decided I was going to go all-in and buy a PC with 16-32 GB of RAM... so I am wondering what you guys know about these rumours:

-- Extreme Tech

They are also going to release Windows 8 very soon with support for the new ARM processors (what PSP Vita uses). But my friend who's a hardware nut told me that we won't be seeing any decent support even months after they are released...

What's your guys' opinions? Is it worth waiting for the Ivy Bridge or ARM processors or Windows 8 before moving forward with a custom build?

3. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

Honestly, just go ahead and build a beast machine with current parts and windows 7.
    I built a new machine about a month ago with a Intel Core i7 3930K, 16 gigs of ram , 480 gigs of SSD.
    And the thing is unstoppable, i can't make a project big enough to make the cpu meter in cubase go past 70%
    I'm talking a project with 50+ vsti's and 5 to 6 insert fx on each of those, + sends to group tracks for parallel compression etc.
    Also tried rendering all those tracks to seperate audio tracks and added another 5 insert fx on those tracks too...

My normal projects are nowhere near that massive, so i know it will be a long time before i hit the wall of the system's power.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth....

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Ivy Bridge has built-in USB 3 :wink:

5. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

As a rule of thumb, especially in the case of professional use : never jump on v1.0 (software, OS, processor, chipset, etc.).

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Ivy Bridge is v2.0 :wink:

7. mrmusic

mrmusic Newbie

If What you are saying is true I will definitely have to upgrade soon. I run Cubase 6 on an intel Quad Core Q600 @2.4GHz with 8GB of Ram and I do get problems from time to time while throwing on effects and more Kontakt Libraries. My question is what Audio interface are you using and if you use ASIO for all drivers. I think that I will definitely have to get SS Drives as well unless Cubase follows ProTools and loads everything in to memory (Very Cool)

8. lukie

lukie Newbie

If you got the money?. Wait for the new intel xeon this will have 8 cores not 6 like the i7 & the xeon's are what they put into mac's

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I learned to freeze MIDI/VSTi tracks ages ago, and apply the effects later. Working with audio stems is better for me :wink:

10. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

Ok. What is the release date for this?

11. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Ivy Bridge is the codename for Intel's 22 nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture. The first to use tri-gate ("3D") transistors, Ivy Bridge processors will be backwards-compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform requiring only a BIOS/firmware update. Intel also plans a new 7-series Panther Point chipsets with Ivy Bridge that will come with integrated USB 3.0.

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

12. remix

remix Platinum Record

if your always waiting for the next life changing piece of hardware then you will be waiting forever...

6 cp 8 cpu blah blah blah

there is more than enough processing power out there to make music you can only dream of...

consumption consumption consumption....

and by the way, don't believe the hype about SSD drives...ive had 3 so far from 3 different manufacturers and every one has lost data or corrupted files at some point...

Hype hype hype

and more consumption....

13. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

Yes, it's hype. I worked in a tech lab not to long ago, and we tested various kinds of Mac machines with SSDs. The results were indeed not amazing; in fact, those machines that had SSDs performed slower than others in some cases (where RAM was concerned). The fact is that, where RAM is concerned - and especially with samplers like Kontakt - once it's in your RAM, the CPU loads samples from the RAM. It's only in initially loading the samples that you'll see a speed increase.

And is all that worth failing hard drives?

Methinks not. :wow:

14. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Using SSD to store libraries is a non-sense.
    But for OS and progs, it rocks.

15. obscure

obscure Newbie

I guess you're not using DIVA on divine settings.

16. Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito Newbie

Go ahead and build your machine, as psyfactory said. Always a new hardware or software will be a generation ahead (typically hardware). The computer industry doesn't stay in sync, ever. They usually balance out over 1-2 years. A good example of this is windows OS. People complain about stability and such, until the hardware + software catch up to each other. Once this happens, it is time for another repeated cycle.

p.s. use AMD :wink:.

17. mrmusic

mrmusic Newbie

I would like to build a similar machine so I would love your specs in terms of specific brands as well so I can benefit from this great power. I used to use Cubase 6.5 as my main DAW but Studio One 2 is now the main player. I should get enough money to purchase a machine with at least 3 SSD drives and the best i7 processor and atleast 16GB (hopefully 32GB) of Ram. Have a great day and I look forward to your help.

18. joem

joem Producer

im running an intel i5 3570k ivy bridge (at 4.4ghz) with 16 gig of ram and not managed to hit 100 percent yet