Ivy Audio Piano in 162 Kontakt - Free

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by phloopy, May 12, 2014.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

http://www.ivyaudio.com/images/pic01.jpg

A staple of classical and orchestral music.
    Piano in 162 is a Kontakt sample library of a Steinway Model B grand piano. Like all Ivy Audio libraries, it is available to download completely free of charge for personal and commercial use.

Due to time constraints I was unfortunately unable to record release samples, which means the library might sound a little funny in certain situations.

Direct Download (5.7 GB)
    BitTorrent Download (5.7 GB)

All keys sampled with:
    Two microphone positions
    Five dynamic levels.
    Two round robins.
    Sustain pedal on and off.

Link:
    http://www.ivyaudio.com/pianoin162.html

3. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Beat me to it Phloopy, I swear the free piano market is the most competitive part of the Kontakt 5 universe! I'm downloading this one now and I'll report back. 5.7 gigs is impressive for free. If my math is right 40! samples per note.
    Guys with better ears might disagree, but I've been known to snag release samples from other pianos and drop them into pianos without release samples. Release samples are generally not that distinctive and usually fairly soft.

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I created Ivy Audio as a side project. While I try my hardest to ensure every library is the best quality possible, I am still learning and experimenting. My work may contain some bugs or issues, so I offer my libraries for free in the hope of getting some good feedback and improving my skills in the process.

Piano in 162 is just the first in a line of orchestral libraries to be produced by Ivy Audio. An orchestral percussion library is scheduled for August of 2014, and a library of the Isabelle B Harris organ at the University of Arizona is planned for later in the year. What libraries come next will depend largely on what resources are available at that time and on user feedback, so don't hesitate to drop me an email with any comments or questions you might have.

If you'd like to donate you can do so through Dwolla or PayPal. Donations will be used to cover the cost of hosting, domain name registration, and potential licensing fees.

5. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Deleted the suggestions for adjusting version 1 of the piano as version 2 sounds very nice without any adjustments.

6. audiodessey

audiodessey Banned

This is impressive! Thanks!! :wink:

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Excellent!

8. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Sounds pretty good. I used the old midi I demo most of my pianos on.
    http://soundcloud.com/bigcat1969/poor-butterfly-medley-piano-in-162-close

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

bigcat for now remember to remove the s in https to make use of the embedding feature.

10. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Oh thanks Catalyst. I shall make myself a note.

11. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

Great stuff! It sounds smooth. But could someone tell me what are the Kontakt version requirements? 'Cause I don't have last version of Kontakt and WON'T upgrade [Don't start asking why pls!]

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Fantastic! :)

13. IvyAudio

IvyAudio Newbie

Hi there!

I'm Simon, the creator of piano in 162 and Ivy Audio.

I've been furiously trying to keep up with all the feedback I've been getting. I thought I'd let you know that I'm currently working on fixing the dynamics issue, which should be done soon, and that I'm hoping to get an sfz release out within a week. I'll also be sure to set max voices to a higher value with the updated library.

bigcat, I'd be curious to hear what your results are when using release samples from a different piano. I suppose it could sound ok if you used just the close mic position. Let me know how that turns out. Also would it be ok with you if I included your demo track in the demos on the website?

Thanks for all your support!

Simon

Edit: Forgot to mention. The library was created using the latest version of Kontakt, so unfortunately you'll probably have to figure out that updating issue. Or you can wait for the sfz release, which shouldn't be far away. Good luck!

14. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Grats on an excellent sampling job! I did one with only 440 samples and I thought that was huge.
    Putting it out on SFZ will expand your reach considerably and make a lot of folks happy.
    I haven't messed with the release samples, I'll try it and see if I can get decent results and report back. You are certainly welcome to use that demo. It's an old midi file from an completely unknown source that I've often used with my pianos. It came from a public domain site and no one has ever complained so I suspect it is OK, but I have no idea as the the actual performance rights.

I'm not enough of piano player to really appreciate release samples. To me they are basically a 'woosh - thud' sound effect that changes a bit across the keyboard. Therefore they tend to sound similar to me across pianos. I tried the free Hestaphus Steinway piano release samples and my Baldwin release samples with your piano and I can't tell any real diff between the two, but I suspect folks with keen Steinway ears might disagree. Anyway you are welcome to use these from the Baldwin I did if you think they add anything.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/74l40pr27wjbnbz/bigcat_City_Piano_Release_Samples.zip

http://soundcloud.com/bigcat1969/piano-in-162-close-release

15. IvyAudio

IvyAudio Newbie

Sounds pretty good!

Usually release samples are most obvious when you release a very loud note after a very short sustain. The sound is supposed to reverberate through the piano, and it can sound pretty weird if that sound is absent.

Running around from forum to forum has become a bit difficult to deal with, so I've created a Twitter to try to be more efficient with my updates. It's @IvyAudio (big surprise there).

Anyway, I'll try to keep as many places up to date as possible, but the best way to get notified of new exciting things is definitely through that twitter account.

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

IvyAudio no need to run around, we seek out information wherever it may be so just let us know where we can get updates and someone will bring it back here for everyone. Also we're not just any site so be a part of AudioSex, we'd love to have more developers at the forum. Soon we will upgrade this place so it will be an even more enjoyable experience than it already is. I know I know that's hard to believe but it will be.[​IMG]

17. IvyAudio

IvyAudio Newbie

Hello again.

I've tweaked the library a little bit, and I'd love to do just a little bit of testing before making it live on the website.

The updated library can be found here https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=ChfI&id=0B6_WDZGbNUQyWnI0eE52M0JDaGc

If anyone would like to download this and make sure everything seems to be working normally, I'd be most appreciative.

The library would not be doing as well as it is if it weren't for audiosex spreading the word, so thanks for that!

Simon

18. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

OK downloading away.
    Yeah from an instrument builder's perspective Audiosex is awesome for getting the word out.
    Thanks so much for all your hard work, this is definitely the best free Steinway out there.

Sorry had to go out and help me mum for a few hours.
    Very nice, much more consistency between velocity layers.
    Thanks so much for this piano. I list it as the first Steinway on my little blog of free piano since it is the best Steinway that doesn't hit your wallet and frankly its as nice as some that are sold. Congrats on an excellent instrument! :wink:

19. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Alright Imma take a Stab at this..This could the Best Piano 5GB there today

A few minor issues

.nkr doesn't work without the Resource folder(Fixed)

Split the samples between ambient & close Samples in folders in the Samples folder(I just moved all the pedals off to one folder & pedals On to another, named the same) and changed the samples folder to Samples(fixed) If you keep them all open it's longer to load in kontakt & cause users with low ram computers to hang!!!

Set the background image in the script & txt file(fixed)

Set script name(Fixed)

Download: Updates here
    Ivy Audio - Piano in 162 v2.5.rar (lol v2.5)
    http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/52659820/file.html

20. IvyAudio

IvyAudio Newbie

Hey, thanks for the fixes.

I didn't realize the folder structure of the samples folder would affect how Kontakt loaded them. The more you know...

I'm having serious trouble finding anywhere to host this download. I paid for a month of dropbox, which only gives me 200 GB of bandwidth which has run out twice in the past 12 hours. Users have reported that a download hosted on Google Drive fails towards the end of the download. My hosting service, which has unlimited bandwidth, shut down my website because the download requests were causing a friendly ddos. Most of the other hosting services I've found cost too much or have a low file size limit. Does anyone know of a good place to host this massive thing?

Thanks,

Simon

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, I've attached a copy with the changes made. I assume this is what you meant by putting the samples in different folders? I tried to find more info on Kontakt ram usage when loading from the samples folder but couldn't find anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3gfyobdyy47yza/Piano%20in%20162%20Mockup.zip

21. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Try MEGA or Firedrive.

Also, if you're just updating the .nki and nothing major (small files) it would be better to upload just that file and ask users to replace it than download everything again.