Ive started a Reaper theme

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by One Reason, Nov 10, 2011.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Hey folks, for all the Reaper users out there, after tinkering around with Reaper, and the RADO theme, I have decided to go ahead and modify it, drastic facelift you might say.

I'm leaving all the elements where they are as I dont know WALTER, the coding language for Reaper, but, I think even so I might be able to pull off something damn nice.

Stay tuned, I'll post screenshots as I go, and Im sure sG, you'll wanna be a tester :wink:

Reaper has some ugly areas you cant do much about, but Im gonna make what can be skinned, look sexeh .. :rofl:

Here is the thread over on the Reaper forums, I posted a couple of small snippets already of what I have done.. thus far.

Reaper Forum

:dancing:

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

5. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

More power to ya!

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

What theme you using BurninStar?

Could use a tester or two... :grooves:

7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

hells yeah! :wink:

8. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

This is great, Now I can possibly have a theme when using Reaper as well as one when using Studio one.

OT: sG , How was the trip??

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Mykal: It kinda sucked. First flight was late and I had to run to the gate in houston for the connecting flight. luggage didnt make it, I had to go back to pick it up. :snuffy: Things are going faster than I expected now tho. Ill be back in FL hopefully by mon or tues.

Whoa Johns reaper theme and WB vox? My monitors just prematurely ejaculated! :wow:

10. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

cool, didnt expect it so soon actually...cant wait to try it out :)

11. Burninstar

RADO-V4 I just installed it just a few days ago. I would love to be a tester for you. Just let me know when. If things go well I will be on a vacation in the near future, and might be out of touch for about 2 weeks. Planning trip to Florida West coast. Is there anything happening down there that I would like to see. I would have loved to go to that Calling Orlando show with Bob Seger & Kid Rock headlining. Can't make it in time though.

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well, nice to get away for a while, West Florida beaches are gorgeous, went to Treasure Island for a week last year.

Perhaps when you get back , I'll be a good bit done with this theme, it really is an enormous, extravagant amount of work, to do properly.

Here's the MCP so far. I think, after years of searching I might finally have a DAW I can be comfortable working in.

[​IMG]

13. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

I like the direction this goes into.

Being unspeakably disappointed in Studio One 2 (i had a bad feeling right from the start but i would have NEVER imagined that they could screw up a perfectly good version 1.6 THAT much) i pretty much gave up on PreSonus, and since Live is no longer an option for me i think that Reaper (as sad as it is) is pretty much the only thing i can use now if i want to keep making music beyond singing in the shower.

(I could keep using 1.6, but Studio Ones internal VSTi to VSTi MIDI timing is just atrocious and i must say ive simply had it with that crap. I finally need something that i can set up ONCE and then frickin KEEP it, knowing that everything works at least good enough so i can uninterruptedly do what i want to do and not come to a grinding halt all the time only because some 'problem' in the workstation requires some workaround...)

So a good skin for Reaper would be most welcome by me too right now. So far it looks like a very good start, but please, PLEASE dont make the same foolish mistake Cockos keeps making and change the FX button to something that makes SENSE, like a plug icon. Instruments are not FX! I remember this button confused the living hell out of me when i tried Reaper for the 1st time because noone with an ounce of brain would expect instruments behind an effects button!

PS: As for skin modding; i once grabbed an S1 skin for Reaper 3.x and began modding it just for the fun of it. I just tested it in Reaper 4 (latest RCpre) and realized that there seems to be little to nothing missing. (Only thing that sticks out is the all-white plugin- and mediabay browsers. Perhaps a few margins and colors have to be corrected too, plus a cooler icon set (glassy) wouldnt hurt either.) IMO this one would be more than worth it to be fully adapted for version 4 because it gives Reaper this clean and 'wide open' look of S1. (Which is still unrivaled, IMO.) In case youre interested in giving it the final touch, (im too buzy/lazy myself right now), let me know and i will send you a copy of what ive done so far...

Screeny:

[​IMG]

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yeah there were def a few things in Studio one 2 that I cant live with, one being the UI changes, which I made a fuss about over on the PRE. site.. and a few workflow things, Its a shame cos it COULD be a great DAW.

Oh well.

I guess I'll never get rid of LIVE, but I have to say i am in the same boat as you, I just want something I can setup and stay with, and the more I mess with Reaper, the more I'm liking it, it also appears to be very stable, a definite plus.

As for my skin for it, when Im done, I can always make a mod on the 'FX' button for ya... To me, doesn't really matter what it says, I know the same button is for both, altho, it would be nice to have sep. buttons...for VSTi and VST.. I'm still sorting out in my head how the whole plugin system works in Reaper, I mean.. You can have two VSTi on the same track?? Not getting that one.

Thanks for the input Cappy, I have used that S1 mod for Reaper, have to say, didn't care for it much, I think once you see how this looks when I'm done, you may forget all about that one.

That being said, after I'm done with this one.. who knows :dancing:

15. Burninstar

One Reason I am loving that look. That is the way Reaper is, You have to use it for a while to realize how slick it really is. Especially if you customize it. Have you tried the alternate menu set yet? I have been using the new menus for a while now. They are clearly laid out and make it a lot easier to work with.

16. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

GUI changes ticked me off too. Especially that puke-ugly 'peppermint-blue' they chose for the highlighted panels makes me cringe everytime i look at it.

But i was more talking about the bugs. Like there being, i dont know, 3 different ways to mute/unmute an item? Each of them incompatible with the other?

I really couldnt believe it when i loaded one of my projects from 1.6. Some items were saved in muted state so i did what i always did and unmuted via context menu. That is i TRIED because it didnt work. So i went to the menubar dropdown to try unmuting from there, just to see the items contents vanishing. (?) Long (and confusing) story short: Eventually, after a lot of clicking back and forth, i realized that i would have to mute via context menu again so i could unmute via menubar. (Not kidding.) Now throw in the mute/unmute TOGGLE and you have a 3rd option confusing the issue even further. I mean, how can they have the same fucking function working in 500 different ways, merely depending on where you use it from? Since it is the same damn function, what difference does it make whether i use it from the menubar or from the context menu? (Well, obviously it DOES make one, the point is that it SHOULDNT because it is the same damn function!) Which reminds me; i once noticed the same behaviour regarding copy and paste of notes in the MIDI editor too. Go figure...

I guess youre referring to the fact that all tracks in Reaper are actually 'FX-Stacks'.

(Thats what Cockos would call it, it includes instruments but instruments are not effects.)

In other words a Reaper-track is like a container for as many effects and instruments you want to 'chain'.

(Not bad actually since these 'chains' can be saved for future use.)

If only Reaper had S1s intelligent double-preset management system and its plugin-sorting system and its fix integration of the plugins/files/etc browser and all the other workflow related advantages...it could be such a nice workstation because it IS very stable and generally very powerful to boot...

17. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

U mean the reamenu splicer thingy?

Ive added the sws extensions, thats about it.

Captain...I know, that blue is putrid, along with no definition between the tool icon buttons, and the sickly brightness of the selected tracks.. :sad:

Cant say I ever really used it long enough to notice the muting situation, but I think im gonna wait a version or two before taking another look. They would have to redo the GUI to look more like version 1 for me to even bother.

18. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

In my opinion they shouldnt have touched the GUI at all.

It was perfectly perfect as it was...its such a shame to see it ruined like that just because they wanted it to look 'new'.

(Thats always the problem with things that are already perfect. Change it and the result will be a worsening. Its inevitable...)

19. Burninstar

One Reason

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672 Check it out. Instillation instructions included

Reamenus Great for any serious Reaper user. Worth the effort. Takes all the hunting for stuff out of the default menu.

You only use the splicer when you update Reaper and need to add new things to the reamenu, It is a web site utility that does that for you in just a few easy steps.

Your changing everything else, may as well change the menus and really customize this DAW for yourself. It only takes about 2 mins. You will never go back to the default menu, but back them up anyway.

20. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks, between You and sG I have it working now. I have to say tho, Reapers menu's are rather extensive, easy to get lost. Once i learn it a bit, I'll be customizing them somewhat to get rid of some things I will never use.

The theme is coming along well.

Posted a couple of updated screenshots of what I've done so far

Update

21. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

sahweeeeee......eeeeeee.....eeeeeeet! :thumbsup: