I've just mastered a track and would welcome constructive feedback/thoughts

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Bunford, May 21, 2023.

1. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

The balance is definitely more in the ball park of Killing in the name of here but there's a bit too much air and theres a lack of weight in the mids (about 150hz to 1.2khz)

I would ad a good amount of saturation in there and probably a bit in the sub frequencies as well. I'd also high shelf above 8khz a good 5db to remove a bit of that sheen that seem to be overwhelming as we speak (A dynamic EQ would most likely do a great job to control this sheen).

Those are obviously guess after a 45 seconds listening to both song real fast.

But what I hear is a lack of weight and loudness in your master vs RATM .

But take it with a grain of salt, your decision are better then mine as I hold no truth. It's just my observation with my monitors. ( haven't listened on headphone neither)

The good part to me is that it doesnt sound like your master is tilted toward the low end anymore.

2. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

It's better, be careful with saturation and the area around 1KHz - 7Khz, it is getting a bit fizzy. Could use some low mids just a bit, the compressor isn't pumping as much as last time and that's a good thing. There are still a few places where to toms, the rhythm guitar and the bass conspire and overwhelm your comp settings though. I would work on that pumping and either run a comp in between two tilts or duck some of those fizzy frequencies post comp. I wouldn't add any harmonics to the mids to high mids there is already enough crunch and fizz there.

Anyways, there are many ways to cook a carrot. I am certain you will find your own way.

It is a step in the right direction.

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Another take, and I think this will be my final version now, and tried to address the previous comments, so here it is:

True:Balance:
    upload_2023-5-27_12-5-27.png

Tonal Control:
    upload_2023-5-27_12-6-8.png

Youlean:
    upload_2023-5-27_12-7-6.png

4. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I think you came a long way.

Good job. I'd put a bit of time in that 1k to 3k region and put a 2 db wide bell (Dynamic EQ) in there for intelligibility and details.

Or scratch that completely and try to open the stereo field a bit for everything above 1Khz and see how everything fall into place. Izotope Imager would do a magnificent job right there.

Maybe a half / half technique to just add something better to what's already good.

Blend both to the original mix to taste. Less is more.

Sadly, you will soon realize that this will not be your final version. :rofl:

Welcome in the group haha.

Honestly, good job buddy ! The before and after is substantial.

I did a test last week, after stumbling upon some multi track sessions of reknown professional songs and remix 4 songs and send it to 7 different friends.

The folder contained my mix and master version and the original professionally release mix and master but they were not identified.

The result that came in was that there was no consensus on what sounded best even though each and everyone of them said '' it's obvious which one sound better''.

So what I understood from that is that, as we all know, we cannot please everyone at the same time.

And as someone pointed out in that same thread, '' If it sound good to you , then it is good.''

There's no authority.

:mates:

5. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

Can i quickly sneak myself into the thread..
    So i´ve been playing with the same track as the OP, so i´ll post it here just as a form of creative "competition", even tho i was looking to compress and slamm the track like i always do.

"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  6. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

You have too much low end in there my friend. Put a low shelf at 100hz and remove 6 db and listen how much your mix will open up. Then adjust in consequence.

7. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

You got that right, low end helps to deal with the harshness, this is just a play, testing the limits.
    But i feel ya, i would consider - 3.5db on a 100hz shelf and pop some midrange up tho