I've got a Behringer Neutron and I'm going whoopy doo.

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Fudsey Plange, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Just arrived from the man. And what a forkload of synth you get for your money. The build quality is much better than I was expecting and the bottom end this little puppy can put out is breathtaking. So here's a thread about the Neutron for those who'd like one.

I'm about to go into modular space. I could be some time.

:rofl:

• Like x 6
    • Love it! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. crecy

crecy Rock Star

Pretty cool indeed, I checked it out and it must be fun:

I don't have a hardware synth, but the sounds made me feel like revisiting my Vaz modular synths!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. So, what sort of synth is the Behringer Neutron? Given that it costs about the same as the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 library or the Addictive Drums everything bundle, it’s a very tasty little synth. It excels at bass lines but has secrets under the hood that the reviewers often miss. The Moffat filter has a second, hidden output, such that selecting HP sends BP to VCF2, BP sends HP and selecting low pass sends high pass to the second output, allowing a notch filter to be summed, or combining a band pass with one of the others creates the impression of a higher pole. There’s a myriad of options available by pressing and holding the various buttons, that alters the behaviours of the oscillators, lfo, etc.

The one feature that lets the unit down somewhat is the BBD Delay line, which is hellishly noisy and leaks into the main signal chain unless set to all three knobs at zero. It darkens the overall output of the machines in a crazy but not necessarily welcome way. The oscillators are pristine, and the filter design is, I think, unique.

Such a lot of synth for so little money. But the subsonics in the bass! It’s a bassline synth with a throbbing analog heart of gold. Came with five patch leads, PSU and a ribbon cable for Eurorack conversion.

4.5 out 5 and superb value for money.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
  5. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I´m interested in this, are there any bugs or major workflow killers?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Not really, as long as you know two oscillator subtractive. I'm loving this little box and I've already built a bass patch for one of my tracks. The thing to always remeber with modular (and semi-modular) is NO PRESETS. You get to write it all down. Or take a photo with yer phone ;-).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Or do it like Pink Floyd, buy a bunch of them and tape the knobs (and switches). [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

Total different Beast but I'm buying a Korg Monologue for this BF, still waiting for behringer Ub-xa tough, it will be a pleasure.

9. If you're used to Behringer build quality, you'll be in for a surprise. Solid, heavy, quality. Almost like the real thing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Thanks for your review. Thinking of buying one for my Christmas present. This may be a game changer for Behringer. The delay sucks but for the bucks I can skip it.

11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Yup, I've been pleased with the quality of Behringer's new synth offerings, especially for the money. I have plans to buy a few of their synths once they're available, assuming they're as good as the Neutron and Model D (Boog) quality/sound wise.

They got several synths I'm interested in on the way: There's talk of a Roland System 100m clone, an OB-Xa clone, a OSCar clone, and a Arp 2600 clone. They also already built (Pro 1) Sequential Circuits Pro one, Arp Odyssey, (RD) TR-909, (RD) TR-808, (MS) Roland SH-101, and (VC340) Roland VP-330 vocoder clone prototypes.

I haven't a clue when they'll get around to releasing most of these, if ever, but the Pro 1 (pegged at $299) is on the way, and I hear that the Odyssey is not far behind. I want both of these, but the later the most of the two, assuming it sounds as good as the prototype demo I saw on youtube and built like the description and pictures I saw on Gearslutz.

Some (most?) of you have probably seen this video but I'll post it anyways:

An excellent clone for $299 if you want that sound. Certainly better than any of the modeled plugins to my ears.

Behringer may become my hardware synth hero, as there's no other way I'd be able to afford all of these old school synths I've always wanted, not any time soon. At this point, I'd rather spend $299 for the Boog than the absurd 3000 - 7000+ it would cost for the real deal. Fuck that.

12. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

That's what I find beautiful with modular synths or hardware mixes.Everything you're producing is ephemeral.That makes you to be more productive and efficient.Every session you make a new track.Most of time less elaborated than DAW work but more productive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  13. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Exactly. I was a little concerned at first, having no way of storing presets on my Neutron and Model D. Worried that I couldn't recall an amazing patch I made 3 weeks ago.
    But every patch I make is amazing as it fits the song I'm making! I'm not making a track fit around a sound.

Add my Beatstep, delay and a touch of Big Muff always makes me smile.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

In case you haven't seen it:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. If for nothing else, the grand prize...creating for the song and not aurally masturbating to a drum beat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Is that a triangle wave form I see before me?

That wasn't on the original.

I think making those replacement Curtis 3340s must have gone to Behringer's heads. This actually, really, genuinely just migh be even better than the real thing.

17. statik

statik Audiosexual

they added a few features to it

• Monophonic synthesizer with 3340 analog oscillator
    • 32 semi-weighted full-size keys for great playability
    • Analog signal path based on VCO, VCF and VCA designs to recreate the classic sound performance
    • Oscillator with 4 simultaneously, mixable waveforms: saw, triangle, square/pwm and octave-divided square sub-oscillator
    • Resonant VCF can be modulated with ADSR, LFO, keyboard tracking and bender controller
    • 6 FM sources
    • ADSR envelope generator
    • Easy-to-use voltage controlled 32-step sequencer with 64 sequence locations
    • Arpeggiator with wide patterns
    • Attachable handgrip included with pitch bend wheel and a pitch modulation trigger
    • Guitar strap included
    • Bender assignable to VCO, VCF and pitch mod wheel on attachable handgrip
    • Noise generator can be used as modulation source for distortion-like effects
    • Portamento function with auto mode
    • Pulse wave can be modulated by LFO, envelope and manually
    • 57 sliders and switches to give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
    • External audio input for processing external sound sources
    • Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
    though this looks quite delicious i'd rather get my hands on that neutron, prolly gonna have to sell some gear

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Can be fun, though. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

They're also releasing clones of the EDP Wasp and Octave’s CAT. I couldn't afford a lot of these when they were produced 30-40 years ago. Now I'm 62 and all my dreams are coming true. On top of that, cannabis is now legal here in Canada. Someone pinch me :rofl:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Drum roll, PLEASE!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. Kluster, fuck yea!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1