I've been installing Omnisphere on pc for years, but I have a question about installing it on OSX

Discussion in 'Software' started by hdxmula, May 27, 2024.

1. hdxmula

hdxmula Member

I've installed Omnisphere 2.0.2 (the complete 50+GB install) on Windows 100 times - I simply download the updates to make it current. But now I want to do it on a Mac, and I'm wondering if the best way to go about it is to install from my 2.0.2 version and update everything after just as I do on Windows, or should I download the most current standalone OSX version and download all of the patches and stuff and just do it fresh? Will both be the same or is there any benefit to doing one way vs the other? Thanks!

3. tom foolery

tom foolery Noisemaker

ive installed on quite a few macs. if the steps and details are fresh in my brain, it goes smoothly. sometimes its a pain in the arse. i installed the latest vers a month or so ago using the latest installs/patches etc...and it wasnt too bad, although i had to install & patch a couple times. all the different updates and soundsources and patches can be crazy. i was thankfully working with a complete, already installed STEAM. beware the latest install though. it broke my (and other peoples) omnisphere in logic. crashy. i just went and looked at my notes. it was 2.8.6 that was causing problems. i went back to 2.8.5f.

edit: youre probably fine installing 2.0.2 and then updating. i never had problems with updates as they came and never had to RE-patch iirc. i would just avoid the v2.8.6. it will break your patch as far as logic and my experience is concerned.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

you should get the original "dvd" release, and then skip directly to the newest update. You do not need to do some multi-version install method. First and last only. (or most recent confirmed and recommended working update version) The issue mentioned above is not a normal thing to happen, if that is happening on 2.8.6.

5. tom foolery

tom foolery Noisemaker

i hadnt heard of or seen the dvd release. i just searched and think i see it (3000th release). definitely more convenient than looking for all the parts and pieces. thanks for that.

6. hdxmula

hdxmula Member

i'd like to try 2.8.6 but the most recent version i'm finding for osx is 2.8.5f so i might have to go with that.

7. hdxmula

hdxmula Member

i followed your advice, thanks! only minor hiccup is the most recent update i can find for osx is 2.8.5f. just to clear my rusty memory, i need to update the software, library patch, and soundsource right? so if my software update is 2.8.5f, i need to find the library patch and soundsource updates to match the software version?

8. tom foolery

tom foolery Noisemaker

sorry late reply. when i downgraded, i didnt worry about soundsource or patches matching my app version. i just made sure to use the older omnisphere which wouldnt crash in my logic...and it worked fine. more people than just myself had troubles with the newest omnisphere for logic, but perhaps it is in fact workable. it was easier for me to just downgrade tho.