It's finished!

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Stuck In The 80s, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

So.... some edits based on feedback.

Track shortened (previous outro removed)
    Bass boosted between 100 and 120.
    Some instrumentation brought in earlier to make those parts feel less sparse.
    Various fills and splashes added.

Improvement?

2. Stuck In The 80s

Done!

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

The better you track gets the more nit picky/detailed the critique is going to be. Dont let that bring down your spirits, its the way its supposed to be.

As now my biggest problem with this nice demo is some notes are off, just by one semitone probably, but it throws me off. Like in 0:40 that "siren" is out of key and he sequenced keys with delay at 0:56 sound odd too, not horrible just odd. The baseline is the only instrument that is totally in key.

Hum the notes you wish to put down first, that will often help you to know whats wrong.

Have you established the key to begin with?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Speaking as a bassist, I love the clarity and depth you have achieved as mentioned before. It is a fine line changing EQ, so while it may be all well and good to take what any of us say here, I say this with 100% sincerity - YOU have to be happy with it because it does not matter what me or anyone else thinks :)

Do not change the bass at the expense of the clarity as it is a solid line (in my opinion) and a substantial driving force for the whole tune. If you want to do this further than your above edit, the harder part may well be finding somewhere in the middle. There is always the option of parallel multiband compression/eq where you can keep the original simultaneously and have more or less of the original to taste?
    Ask @NoAvenger he's pretty on the money with compression possibilities.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  5. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

I think everything already has been said. I just want to add that productionwise it sounds very professional!

6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

A track is finished:
    A) when you feel you can't improve it any more

B) when continuing with it becomes counterproductive as opposed to working on something else

C) when the client runs out of money

7. Stuck In The 80s

So.... the track is in a# minor... strictly speaking the siren and the keys of that were in the scale but yes I agree the siren appears to be clashing with the vocal at 0.40 so removed and replaced with a different part.

8. Stuck In The 80s

So... I applied the OTT multiband to the bass. Not 100% if this is an improvement but not sure it isn't either!

9. Stuck In The 80s

Thanks!

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I can only speak for myself, I do believe in one thing wholeheartedly, which is that you must be the one who is happy.
    I like all of the different mixes you have put up for different reasons and I am sorry that this statement really does not help at all.
    When I said "Speaking as a bassist", I pictured it under my fingers as it's a good grooving line. That is, I could picture also playing it as well on an actual bass. I love that deep 'moogy bass' sound and you've done it well even if I got the origin incorrectly.

It certainly is not lacking in bottom end for MY taste in this mix. At an audiophile level, there are more qualified people to speak to for more accurate spectral opinions. Speaking ONLY for me, this new mix definitely kicks more when the kick and bass are together. Again, speaking only for myself, I'd find the attack on the notes (EQ place) and boost them ever so slightly because part of the solidity of the riff, is the bass riff definition itself which was slightly more prominent in your first mix. I do mean 'slightly' because I am confident you do not want it to be 'clicky'.

If you are happy then revel in it. :)
    I think you've done really well. The next step if any, as all choices are, is up to you.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023