It's crap I know. Ill redo it. No more insults needed thanks.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

as a ROLAND System 1 owner i can say, this is a totally underestimated Synth,
    u can add a real keyboard ( i am no keyboardplayer at all) +
    i use it as a Midicontroller device for Omnisphere or any other VST Snyth.
    Most of the knobs /sliders fit perfect for any Synthesizer. EVERY BUTTON/slider is useable!
    The cheapest way to have a tactile feeling for any VST SYNTH.
    ohhh and i like the "green LEDs":winker:

2. walmart

walmart Noisemaker

See, you can't just ignore a critique because it hurts your feelings. What I've made musically is completely irrelevant, because what I stated was more fact than opinion: your kick and bass are not in tune. I'm a jerk, sure, but don't just disregard a valid point because it hurts your ego.

One of the most useful and often overlooked things you can do while mixing is taking a 15-30 minute break every 1-2 hours. Fatigue is real.

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Nope. I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. It's the only way to learn. I do apologise for insulting you however. Lack of sleep can do that to a person.

4. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Very Annoying ! Can you guess what spot I actually closed my browser off at?? 0.2

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

That's ironic because it only took 0.1 for you to fall into the bin.

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I did it, its here. I sped it up a bit

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

The 'All that she wants' remake, musically decent remake but the drums don't come anywhere near the punch of the original. And they should.
    'Wheel of Fortune' same thing. Where's the drums making me go: "WTF? Yeah!" But good efforts never the less. :wink:

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I think he did a really good job.Takes a lot of time to redo these songs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

I was just checking some different online versions and they're all abominabel. The 'official vid' YT version is not even available in 720p so crap audio. The Spotify version, slightly better but crapo clappo aswell. But the FLAC versions I've got, (original and re-mastered) do kick serious ass.
    But anyway...

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thank you, VS. It was about 7 hours in total, but Impressive did ask me nicely :P

Help me out then. What am I doing wrong with the drums. Was it just the snare not biting through or the whole kit? The problem I had was I tried to push the compressor harder on the first track that That walmart person slated. Although between me and you, I don't think walmart are all that known for selling quality sound systems.

11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@Sylenth.Will.Fall, the drums on 'All that she wants' needed a bit more Uhmpf. A bit more seperated low end so they have a more prominent roll in the mix. If you listen to a good copy of the original you'll hear that. Thats one of the reasons why that particular beat became a classic. If you can then lay the bass on top of that, you'll have something that'll stand and keep standing on the dancefloor. But you'll have to find the right freq. for the kick, 48 - 55 cycles or so. Keep the q low (small) and listen for it. Drums only. Then the bass lay it right above it, 65 - 85 cycles or so, you have to listen for it. Could well be in the 100 cycle region. Again keep your q small. When that sounds tight and nothings clipping, bring the rest back in on top of that 'base' you sculpted while keeping the 'uhmpf'. Yes you can compress that shit, but better send the drums to a buss, the bass to a buss and compress those, this way you have more control. If you need more level from there, up the 'make up' gain on your comp, not the buss fader. If you have all the drums separate, kik, snare, hats, etc, you can compress these individually but if they come out of the AU/VST as one stereo I'd steer clear of that.
    Send the rest of the synths to another bus, do a little m/s and, rinse repeat ...

On 'Wheel of fortune' the drums are less prominent in the original, yours too. You could work a little on the high end of the drums and make them 'siszle', breahte a little more, but there you go!

Hope that helps.
    :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I copied it and pasted it to a notepad file.I'm gonna take my time reading through it...Thanks m8

13. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

same thing.
    :)

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

its pretty good i think.

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I'm ok with it too.. :wink:

if anyone , big box store, or otherwise , thinks they can do better.. then by all means put it up here for us to evaluate..

side by side can reveal much :yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

It does help a lot, thank you for your input. Some of what you say I already do, but you've given me one or two ideas that I plan on using next. I'm not sure if you meant this, but I intend on making an exact copy of the bass and cutting all frequencies above 80hz, and then looking in the 50/80 hz range where to give it a slight boost with a small q (obviously bring it down the main bass by the same amount.) That then will supply me with a sub bass in effect. I'll mono it before the main mix too. This should give the track extra gut wrenching thud?

Thank you Artic I think so too, but everyone has slightly different ideas on how things should be done. I wanna keep learning all of them and cherry pick the best bits.

Thanks Herr Durr :) I'd encourage that too. It's another great way for me to improve.

17. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thanks buddy, I had 'lowender' in mind but I'll certainly look at those 2 options.

Oh my goodness. The low end trick first appeared on a tribe called quest? The 'can I kick it' track? I have that on a 12' single somewhere!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

There are 100s of different approaches to mixing.I personally think he made mature decisions.
    I would also perhaps change this and that but then you have to realize its his mix.
    What better way to learn mixing then to redo other songs and mix them?The only other ways are if you mix your own songs or mix other peoples songs.
    His approach is better then just mixing other peoples songs because he actually learns how to use other tools than just plugins.
    His mixing techniques are among the best on audiosex and i can be a dick when evaluating other peoples work.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Personally I don't see the value or necessity in attacking someone's track.. people are always going to differ in what they like,
    if it's something that seems to be technically lacking, then point it out, and/or , better, suggest what to use to achieve
    an enhanced result... it serves nothing and no one but yourself to attack someone's music, when they aren't trying to be
    blatantly offensive with it anyway...( Kanye West being a notable exception to this rule )

as always one man's trash.. is another man's treasure.. and all my tracks sound awesome..
    but I doubt anyone would agree with me! :bleh:

I'll call on the bard yet again ...

This above all: to thine ownself be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    :wink:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List