It is what it is!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Krusk, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

The Godfather pretty much owns the phrase. In spoken intro and sings it later on.
    Track: Mind Power

And anyone who can just accept certain aspects of life which are constantly observable.
    Particularly of occurences in nature.
    Or Dharma.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

To me, "It is what it is" often sounds either glibly dismissive. It's the "grown-up" version of "whatever, man." At best, it's an overelaborate "so be it."

How do I feel when I hear it? About the same level of annoyance as when I hear any other herd-adopted half-meaning, such as "going forward" ("in the future" or "from now on"), "takeaway" (information gleaned from discussion), "narrative" (version of the truth or managed perception, as though the very word wouldn't give it away as a form or degree of fiction), "based off of" (correctly, "based upon"), or "having said that," "that being said," "that said," "with that said" (clunky and inarticulate substitutes for "however," "bearing that in mind," "nevertheless," "although," et al., or just a phrase thrown-in unwarrantedly, as an inarticulate person's trying to sound "articulate").

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

I agree with all you said, yet this one gets me the most.
    These stupid, wordy versions of 'however' are misused on lots of YT vids as if to mean "now I've finished saying that, here is something else"!
    So yes: an unwarranted phrase just thrown in, and also misused!

4. Smoove Grooves

5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Business is business
    Rules are rules
    a deals a deal
    whatever happends, happends
    it is what it is

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

Don Henley sang it best..."Get over it"

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Fuck yeah. At last one person i "know" who's sane. I remember i went to the screening and i started laughing uncontrollably. My mates said the movie's ok and i must have grown old. I said it's like a retarded 7 y.o. wrote the script and then asked his younger 5 y.o. brother to direct it. As you said just impressive cgi, may i add some good actors who don't play very nice, at one moment i thought Theron was reading the script lol, nothing else. I won't say much, the sort of pinnacle of the movie is that the spaceship carries the most brilliant minds of the Earth to the most important mission for the entire humanity and each and everyone of them is a completely utter moron. Probably the worst movie ever and a disgrace to its director and the Alien legacy.
    And same about Nolan too. Everybody praising Inception and i thought it was a movie tailor made to make Americans feel smart lol. Great visuals and again good actors but in the end it was just a Hollywood action movie with explosions and full of green screen and cgi, with a small twist in the script which supposedly was the smart part of the movie but personally, i found the explosions kinda smarter. The dream within the dream within the dream and some other synth layer lol.
    Cheers:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

pandorum was good...but already from 2009

9. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Gina Goes Wild was good:guru:

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I agree with Prometheus. I didn't understand a lot of things but half of them because implied characters making impossibly dumb things.
    And then suddenly the last part goes full action with island-sized ships crushing just where one guy is running. And he survives :rofl:

I liked Inception though, only half of what apparently the rest of the people does. Perhaps is just for the stunning cast, but no comparison with Prometheus for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Well... Imho, Nolan's greatest moment is Memento, this movie truly stands the test of time and without the need of a 9 figures budget like Inception. Surely the latter has a great cast as you said and all of them seem to play very well. But if the first thing you remember from a movie is the upside down dream worlds and superbly crafted visuals then something's amiss. Nolan has a knack for writing love stories and then wrapping them in some extreme unfriendly setting, just as much so the viewer starts caring for the hardship the protagonists endure hehehe...
    Np, i think he's talented alright, i just find him overrated and to me surely Inception although an ok movie, is nowhere near the greatest movies of all times.
    Cheers mate :)

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Limitless

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Good one :wink:
    The Source Code

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Pandorum is an indie movie, with a budget of "just" 6 mil it is a miracle how they made such a good movie. Personally i liked it a lot and i think the rating @ Rotting tomatoes is crap as everyone there is a fkn critic that doesn't get enough sex lol, imdb's rating seems more close to what this movie deserves really. I'd give it a decent 7 or 8 for the amazing effort.
    Yep, perhaps it's Nolan's best, i only have it second in my Nolan list after Memento, because Prestige is a major production whereas Memento was a purely indie film and imho, Nolan would be nowhere in Hollywood making all these huge films without Memento's unexpected success that gave him wide recognition and access to budgets only the big boys in Hollywood have. That's why i deem Memento as Nolan's most important movie and one of the best of the past 20 years as well. So now you know how i am a movie "eater", i hope you don't use it against me hahaha.
    For the record Prestige's budget was 40 mil vs Memento's 9 mil.
    Cheers mates :)
    PS: From my country, there is a new "Netflix like" web service on subcription that focuses on indie and festival films from all over the world rather than blockbusters. If you guys are into this sht, here it is, just make sure you have your browser translate the page from Greek 'cause they haven't put English on it yet. First 14 days are free trial: https://cinobo.com/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  16. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Please go to minute 5.42

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Good stuff in that comment, good one.
    While we are at nerding out good non-blockbusters sci-fi flicks, I'd like to add "Pitch Black" . An oldie that ages really well. It's one of those movies with a budget between an indie flick and a big still not bluckbuster one.
    The first success of "Fast & Musclehead" Vin Diesel ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. recycle

recycle Guest

This whole thread is a wheelbarrow of bullshit, luckily I found something interesting in it:
    this James Brown song.
    I've never heard of it, it's beautiful!

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

There is, or at least should be, always a certain uncertainty to being certain which makes making things more exciting, and this uncertainty of things can result in an unpredictable result, whish is certainly at least interesting, whatever way you look at it.

Kinda like writing gibberish on a piece of paper, whatever comes to your mind, then trying to make some sense of it, and perhaps writing a song from it. It's a fun exercise that I sometimes use for creative purposes. The uncertainty principle is a very creative thing. Certainty sucks, is a creativity stopper, and it can give you OCD and shit. <-- the latter is healthy if you feel constipated. :P

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

btw one more thing about TENET....
    [​IMG]
    :rofl::rofl: