Issues creating nicnt files

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bunford, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've tried following the guides (being a simpleton, coming from a Mac to Windows so never needed nicnt files before). However, I am having some issues as some seem to work, some don't work at all, and some work but then when i try and load a patch they say that the library is encrypted. I've only done a handful so far and not done any of the main lirbaries i want until i learnt how to do them properly.

Which guide is the best to follow to be able to add individual libraries to Kontakt via the 'add library' button and not have them have the encypted error?

I have used this to find numbers to avoid:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/12505-how-to-view-all-your-snpid-codes-from-nicnts/

And then tried this approach:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/3884-how-to-create-nicnt-files-tutorial/

And this one:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/10087-creating-custom-master-tabs-for-kontakt-5-tutorial-windows/

But neither are particularly clear and user-friendly of the step-by-step approach needed for a complete noob with no knowledge of these files!

It's really bugging me now as I am clearly doing something wrong but can't work out what!!!!!!!!

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

this is all you need for creating a nicnt file:

4. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Use this approach : http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/3884-how-to-create-nicnt-files-tutorial/

But careful about The string "<SNPID> aa0 </ SNPID>" also requires revision. : they're no spaces/blanks! you must read <SNPID>xxx</SNPID> (without spaces), and xxx only three hexadecimal digits. Caution about some custom nicnt files (found on the net) they're using four (or more) hexa digits: it's wrong!

Use only notepad++ tool to edit nicnt file, nothing else!

Be careful also: SNPID must be unique on your system. Many of them are reserved (by NI or third party), and not only for Kontakt libraries but also all Native Instruments products (in fact, any product can be activated via NI Service Center have it's own SNPID). You can take a look here http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/19534-known-snpids-used-by-native-instruments-pdf/ about known reserved ranges by N.I.

Reliable range can be "freely" used seems to be from "700" to "dff" (as indicated using "lime background color" in my PDF, page 4). But in the future, SNPID in this range can be used by N.I. for their products (or third party products if they're using Service Center for activation). N.I. is proprietary about their SNPIDs and it sells SNPID (or range of SNPIDs) to developers, as they want. And never forget: N.I. aren't philanthropist compagny.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

MozartEstLa have done a very clear explanation :wink:

Add to the possible SNPID conflicts, the other alpha numeric used by independents who does nicnt and wallpapers (like me) if you have downloaded some.
    As info, I'm using C01 to c99, plus c001 and C0a to C0f (for some reason I had problems after the f). Then d001 to d019, then d01 to d99 and d0a to d0j, then f01 to f74 until now, a big part of these have been posted on AZ.

But the good thing is that it's easy to correct things if there is a conflict, by deleting the xml file in NI's folder.
    In c:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center

Good luck

6. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

I'm booking (or logging) into an Excel spreadsheet any Kontakt library I keep "in my arsenal", in case I discover possible conflict I update the SNPID from nicnt prior to "Add Library" from Kontakt. Also when I'm designing my nicnt file, first I verify from this Excel spreadsheet to prevent SNPID collisions...

You're right Olymoon about XML files (SNPID are inside), but some libraries also are using some Registry REG_SZ values (like k2lib0xxx - xxx is the SNPID in this case), from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Content key (sometimes also in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments key and related library as subkey).

Are these sequences really are working? (by using 4 digits)? I'll try this ASAP. But generally all first three digit (starting from left) are used, extras are ignored. Eg using "4200" and "4201", Kontakt assume 420 as SNPID for both and you have conflict.

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So, just to clarify on the the SNPID then, if I use Notepad++ and use something like aa0, aa1, aa2, aa3, aa4, aa5, aa6, aa7, aa8, aa9, ab0, ab1, ab2 etc etc, keeping a log in excel spreadsheet, i should have them all working and prevent conflicts then, as long as the characters used are a to f and 0 to 9?

And, if any libraries i download already have a nicnt file in, is there any harm in deleting them and creating my own to fit in with my naming convention?

8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

no harm, but if you already tried to install them, you have to clean (delete) the relative registry entries and delete the relative xml file for that library

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Cool. I will probably cleanse everything, delete all xml and registry keys, create my own files and go that route and see what happens!

Do authentic libs have nicnt files in them? If so, and i delete them by accident, will i still be able to create my own easily enough?