Issue with recording sound in Win 7

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by G String, Oct 22, 2012.

1. G String

G String Rock Star

Whenever I try to record audio (youtube, winamp, whatever) it fails. Recordings are silent, no matter which software I use to record the audio.

I have Focusrite 2i2 - Win7. Recording device set to "Focusrite", playback device likewise.

This has proven a perennial problem with W7. It hasn't worked with Audigy2, Asus Xonar, and now the Focusrite.

Any suggestions? Cheers.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lol. You mean your recording device is set to "Focusrite", but you haven't plugged anything into your Focusrite inputs?
    If that's the case then that explains alot.

4. G String

G String Rock Star

What do you suggest I plug into the Focusrite input - the output from the focusrite?

Edit - I thought that would give me all kinds of feedback/loopback trouble. But I tried it -with a mono guitar lead - and it works!

Thank you for your sarcastic, but good advice. :D

I assumed it wouldn't need some stupid cable when it's already playing the sound. Was never like that on XP etc.

Anyway it works - problem solved. Ta! Doh!

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Usually using a dedicated audio interface (with ASIO) does this. You have officially left the bland Soundblaster/Realtek realm. Welcome!

There is a program called Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) which "virtually" records your outputs as inputs. Check it out.

But yes, you could use cables (two, as in stereo) from our outs to your ins, but then make sure (prior to connecting them) that you mute or pull down the monitoring/input faders so that you don't get feedback.

6. G String

G String Rock Star

I'll check VAC, ta.

2i2 doesn't come with any monitoring software so no go. But I never got any feedback, no flanging/phasing, nothing.

I used the headphone output plugged into the Mic/Inst input. Only mono with guitar cable, so need appropriate stereo cable. Messy solution, but if it works....ha.

I still don't see why 2i2 can't record itself without a cable. Seems obvious capability to have, but seemingly it's absent. Anyways.....cheers for responses. :D

ETA - VAC is $25-$50 so no go.

Their page says

Well, indeed. However, Creative never sorted their drivers for 64 bit - Whatuhear doesn't work, nor does the mic - the only workaround is to "reinstall 32 bit OS". Oh yeah, sure......lol...thanks Creative.

A messy cable route it is. Ah well.