ISO Image Mounting Software Suggestions?

Discussion in 'PC' started by theDingus, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In XP32 I use old DaemonTools 3.47 and it works great, but for Windows 7x64 I would suggest you to use Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive or WinCDEmu: http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/ There is a portable version of WinCDEmu also, so you don't have to install anything to mount an ISO. I can't remember now, but I think I had to uninstall Virtual Clone Drive and install WinCDEmu on one of my client's computers to be able to mount and play with AKAI and E-MU ISOs. I'd try WinCDEmu portable first because it doesn't hurt to try and only then try Virtual Clone Drive. In my Windows 7x64 I have installed WinCDEmu 3.6. but I don't use that OS that much, only as remote DSP [reamote] for plugins and to control the TC Konnekt mixer.

Yes, SPTD [that DaemonTools install] is not a really good behaving driver, it's advisable to stay away from it if you can. It's not hard to get rid of it - just uninstall from device manager, but it can sometimes lead to an unusable DVD or SCSI drives and in that case you have to install it back again. The version that comes with DaemonTools 3.47 seems to work fine with XP, though, no problems.

Cheers! :mates:

2. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

+1 to PowerIso.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

MagicISO

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org
    Simply free full version free from ad and malware free

5. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

Wow! What an outpouring of assistance!! I thank all of you for your great suggestions and information! :bow:

I ended up buying one of these instead of dicking around with software:

[​IMG]

Not really..............................
    :rofl: :rofl:

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

hm, maybe it's time for me to change... does it emulate copy protection crap?

7. rafaelinux

rafaelinux Newbie

'Been using Daemon tools for at least 10 or 15 years. Haven't run into issues.
    Just don't use PowerISO, that one is crap.

8. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

There is nothing wrong with the alternatives to Daemon Tools given in this thread, but I just want to say: I don't know what programs you have been using but it is clearly NOT the official daemon tools :P. You used a download from somewhere else than from www.daemon-tools.cc??

SPTD is optional to install (and always was) and does nothing that can 'burn out' your DVD drives. It's another way of talking to DVD drives, and software has to support it. And regular Windows does NOT. So installing SPTD does nothing to your regular drives. Daemon-tools only uses it to be able to bypass old copy-protections on .ISO's.. so if it is just to mount simple ISO's you don't have to install SPTD. It's asked during the install. Also (like said here) you can easily uninstall it. No it's not 'just disabled', it's clearly gone. I think you have been using a non-official Daemon Tools installer or something.

I also never saw a 'forced installation' of OpenCandy with daemon-tools lite? And I have been installing it numerous times during the 4.x life cycle. It had (HAD) adware that can be clicked on 'do not install' and you get a very clean install of Daemon-Tools lite. That link on SoftPedia? I have Daemon Tools installed right now. The files they speak of are NOT on my pc (%APPDATA%\DAEMON Tools Lite\ImageInfoCache), and my firewall hasn't noticed a single outgoing connection from Daemon Tools yet (yes I disabled auto-updates :)). Either I'm using it differently or I didn't install the adware crap during installation.

Either way, just wanted to make clear there are a lot of WRONG and bad stories out there about daemon tools, mostly coming from people not using the official installer, or a cracked version or people who have blindly clicked 'next next next next' during install and got a bunch of adware with the program.
    That being said, there are simpler alternatives out there who don't have these stories around them so it's probably safer to use those if your not sure about what you're installing.

But then again, like I said, didn't Windows 7 have simple .ISO mounting included out of the box? Or is it only the Enterprise version or even Windows 8 that has that?

9. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i'm with Dipje i've download Daemon 100 times from official site and everything was smooth everytime. if you download thru site like "Softonic" you can ending up installing Daemon plus other shit..

Using Daemon since 2004, SPTD driver doesn't burn your DVD drivers...

for me it's one of the essential tools like Ccleaner, of course you can use other programs but Daeomon doesn't create anykind of problems...

10. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

lerjurk:-
    For big .ISO's I prefer not to unRAR, rather execute from the virtual Daemon drive.
    I had a recent version of Daemon and don't like it's bloated GUI.

I have Win7/x64 and want to download an older version from www.oldversion.com
    I cannot see v4.9.1.0 so which other version do you recommend?

Thanks.

11. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Hi, i PM you, but i post here in case others want too:

http://oldware.org/software.php?swid=79

For the top 10 download files 4x are daemon tools :D Daemon Tools v3.17 is only 355.45 KB!

Scan files pls, i am not with Oldware.org. i have got much files from them and no virus though.

If you must get only from oldversion.com, i say to find biggest number that is UNDER v4.9.1.0. In my testing this is the last one before they change GUI / adware / payware.