Is Wavelab still relavent?

Discussion in 'Software' started by aymat, Oct 30, 2016.

1. joseclon

joseclon Ultrasonic

But SoundForge is still 32 bits only, and can't recognize 64 bits VSTs or VST3.

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You know I pretty much don't care about how many bits the software I use is. I used 8-bit computer in the 80s, then 16-bit computer during the 90s..., I think I can live with 32-bit some more, too. :mad: It isn't so much the tools that matter, it's the driver, eh? :winker:

3. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I used Wavelab for about 13 years, going back to Wavelab 2. It got very bloated IMHO and at some point I realized I could just use my DAW, while my DAW did not have the many features of Wavelab, it reminded me of the older streamlined Wavelab. I've seen the new version in action and was impressed, but the cost was too high for a dedicated editor and I still use my DAW. The one thing I do miss from Wavelab is the fantastic metering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

What is it about metering that you miss, WillTheWeirdo? I don't miss anything and metering with plugins is incredible. Just SPAN and TB EBULoudness are enough for any kind of metering. You are probably referring to offline averaging metering? You can have that with EBULoudness, but you have to play the whole song through it, or render the song through it - it's similar to offline processing and almost as fast.

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

What would you consider the standout advantages of WL over other audio editors?

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I know this isnt pointed to anything I´ve said in this thread but I hope it´s ok I make a statement?!?

Im sure most pro editors can do the exact same as Wavelab these days.

One reason I use Wavelab besides what I´ve already said is it´s been my editor for 15+ years - indeed a conservative argument I admit!!

Another reason is that the UI is clear and without a lot of fancy/desturbing elements so workflow is straight forward!!

I know a lot of ppl will say this is all because Im an old conservative fart... but believe me: It works great for me :yes:

7. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

IMHO, I've just never found metering that was as easy to read and understand as Wavelab.

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

You're very welome!
    I'm happy to learn from anyone's experience :yes:. Well, almost, that is :winker:

9. twinny123

twinny123 Noisemaker

I use Wavelab Elements 8.0 for organizing my samples before I uploaded them to my Elektron Analog Rytm. Samples have to converted first to mono 48000khz 24bit , as it makes the transfer process much quicker and the quality much better. I edit most of the samples I use so that they are layer-able with the internal analog synth engine sounds of the AR, but I also upload large numbers of samples to layer and Wavelabs batch converter handles that task perfectly.
    I also use Wavelab for Mastering sometimes with UAD plugins, but use a plugin chain-er to accommodate up to 12 mastering plugins rather than the 4 slots that I am otherwise limited to with the Elements version.

10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

:like:

11. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I started using BIAS Peak back in the late Nineties and I loved that program for two-track editing and mastering on the Mac. Since OS X phased Peak out, I switched to Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor, which was the closest thing to Peak in terms of features and functionality. Unfortunately, Wave Editor became "Triumph", and I still can't figure it out properly. I can still use Wave Editor, but it only uses 32-bit plugs and seems to have some hiccups with El Capitan. Amadeus Pro seems like the clear successor to Wave Editor, but it still doesn't seem to preview plugs in real time, which makes tweaking them before rendering impossible.

I think I know why everybody likes Wavelab, because it's designed to edit and master two-track audio and that's it ... a lot like Peak. That's why I hate editing masters in a DAW, because it's overkill. Wavelab appears to have a simple interface and keeps the focus on the two-track file you're editing. If it were (freely) available for Macs, I'd have already checked it out.

12. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I don't know, for me WL was relevant until version 6... now these days I like Adobe Audition. On my Mac I'm mostly using DSP Quattro.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

Nikon could you tell us a bit more about DSP Quattro and what you do in it????

14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You'd be better off converting your samples with Voxengo freeware R8Brain. Steinberg SRC quality have always been bad: http://src.infinitewave.ca/ but not worse than all other well known "players". It seems like the SRC in WL6 and 8 is much better than in 5. Still, R8Brain is one of the best. I sometimes use SoX with Foobar2000, too. Both are excellent SRCs.

@WillTheWeirdo "IMHO, I've just never found metering that was as easy to read and understand as Wavelab."
    I still fail to see what's so good and easy about Wavelab metering in comparison to e.g. Reaper with metering plugins. :shrug:

15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I've heard about DSP Quattro for a few years now, never actually tried it. It actually seems like the sort of program I've been talking about on here. Downloading v4.4 now, thanks for the mention!!

16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

If you like Audition, you might find the free Ocenaudio useful too!
    Its operation feels a lot like Audition, only that it's much more compact and especially version 2 (still available on their homepage) loads up very fast. And, it's available on both Mac and Win. And it supports VST plugins (and AU on Mac).

17. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Audio editing, effects chainning etc... It has internal fx section with some interesting fx.
    I love to play with samples, and I spent so many time with sample manipulation exactly with Quattro before importing into Logic or Live. Both apps has audio editing capabilities, but it's very quick and pleasure to do with Quattro.
    Sometimes I just put 20 songs and do a good mix for celebrations etc...
    Quattro can also project audio cds, so you can add tracks and do final setup, cutting, fading etc...
    It has also lack with some stuff, but all in all is very fast, read almost any "audio unit" without errors and it's very cute and intuitive (just everything is at right place, no floating over GUI and searching for something...) :)

Here is a good video with overall demonstration:

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I use Ocenaudio audio editor v2 in Linux. Very fast and easy to edit audio with. But in Windows... I like to use old Sound Forge 6 and Wavosaur. Sound Forge can send/receive samples over SCSI. :wink:

19. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hey, you still work with SCSI?
    I guess we're the only two here :wink:
    Did you know that the older ReCycle 2.0 can batch-transfer multiple loop slices via SMDI to natively to supported samplers, given that you've prepared a template patch?
    This is one of the ways I used to import samples into the ESI2k/ESI4k and A5000. The other was an AKAI ISO created with ChickenSys.

BTW, do current versions of SoundForge still support sample dump over SCSI?

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yes, guilty as charged. :hahaha:

SCSI is still in use here, but I do use SD cards in all the samplers instead of noisy and unreliable hard disks. Installing SD cards is a blessing! And an 8GB SD card can support up to 8 "hard disks" [virtual]. If we only had this in the 90s, eh? :wink:

Yes, I still use older Recycle, too. Mainly as the sample editor, SCSI transfer, and as a mangling tool. I have asked around about Sound Forge 10 and 11 and SCSI transfer and people say they support it. However, I like Sound Forge 6 and how snappy it is to work with. I really don't need anything with more features than this. I could happily use SF 4 that I used for like a decade, but I upgraded to 6 just because it's newer, not so much different, and still not overbloated with unnecessary crap I would never use. :wink: