Is this laptop good enough to handle music production?

Discussion in 'PC' started by signalflow, Jun 22, 2018.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Sorry but this is not correct.
    Fans in the last generations laptops switch automatically speed by detecting the load on cpu and or gpu. In 99% of the laptops except the most extreme ones, there is only one fan solution that covers both the cpu and the gpu. So there is nothing such a more noisy device. Most likely it will be the cpu and not gpu that will be on heavier loads while working on audio. And finally chances are that a gaming laptop has a more well thought out cooling solution than an all around usage laptop.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Well explained. I feel a bit more confident on my purchase/switch over

3. Sombra

Sombra Member

For that price I would get a Dell XPS 15 instead. Much nicer and Dell has great warranty.

4. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I know the xps are nice but what I paid was something I couldn't pass up. I didn't get what I originally was going to get but its equivalent. Better gpu but no SSD which is fine.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-RS71 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Titanium Gold MetalIntel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

The equivalent cpu equipped XPS 15 is discontinued by Dell. The newer one with an i7 is much more expensive than the 800 @signalflow paid. Plus even at the minimum config the Asus laptop has still a 17.3" FHD IPS LED backlit display @75 hz which is great (or 120 hz with Gsync for the mid config and UHD @ 60hz for the top config).
    Cheers

6. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I've also read that the thermo regulation is crap and will throttle the system on the xps

7. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Just a small update: project hackintosh is under way and I was able to install Macos 10.13.6 on this beast :phunk:however there are minor fixes I need to do as it isn't playing nice and not booting from my internal drive but there are a few good people on hackintosher forums helping me resolve things. I'll update this thread as I progress .

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Behold she is alive!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Looks great, you did it mate! And High Sierra is no slouch either, file copying is instant with the Apple File System. While i prefer Windows, i cannot but applaud Apple's engineers for their continuous improvement on their OS.
    And to think there's people saying Apple has abandoned their desktop OS lol...
    MS should be ashamed of themselves with all those Win10 gimmicks and no apparent improvement for about 10 years. At least now they have something to imitate once again lol.
    Glad you got it working dude. Is it a dual boot or you went full format on the laptop?
    Cheers mate.

10. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I went full format MacOS however there is an extra slot for an additional HDD/SSD which I might add a win 10 os on for shits and giggles. Anyhow thing is a beast! Runs my DAW like a dream although no trackpad (yet) l, and no wifi due to hardware compatibility. Other than that I'm pretty damn happy with it.

11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hey what gpu setup is that? no integrated gpu at all?
    every time I tried nVidia laptop hackintosh, it failed on nVidia Optimus incompatibility

12. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

The laptop comes with a GTX 1070 which all I had to do was setup inject Nvidia web drivers and disable intel graphic through clover configurator and install the driver. As far as optimus it looks like it isn't supposed by apple. At least that what I have read. Anyway pc laptops are so cheap these days it's crazy how someone would pay over $2000 for a Mac which could potentailly be hackintoshed. After this experience I doubt I would ever buy a Mac again and just build my own with custom hardware to hack.

• Like Like x 2
    • List