Is this laptop good enough to handle music production?

Discussion in 'PC' started by signalflow, Jun 22, 2018.

1. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That depends heavily on what you want to do with it. For "normal" purposes it should be really sufficient although, if you want to spend that much money, I would go for a laptop with an Intel Core i7-8750H, which costs only a bit more, but has a lot more power (~50%!, more cores/threads, higher core speed, bigger cache). And I would recommend an external audio interface (quality and latency should be better).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Good to know. I'll be running live and some plugs not so heavy as it would just be for starter work/idea drafting machine and finished off on the Mac. Most likely using sample and live/max packs and possibly serum and omnisphere.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget that the best laptop is futile if your soundcard/audiointerface can't keep up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Since you want it for nothing extreme it should be enough as long you don't use many Serum/Omnisphere instances. But remember to install Omnisphere in the SSD for faster loading times ))
    If you don't use an external sound card/interface you'll probably have to use ASIO4ALL with the integrated audio chipset. That wouldn't be optimal but if you don't care about a little extra latency it should be alright.

7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

There is only one way to put this:
    yes.

8. T2000

T2000 Ultrasonic

Do Nvidia cards not have latency issues?

9. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Yeah I have a good audio interface and possibly will by a small portable one for the laptop. Most of the finishing touches will be a Mac. Just need something to use when I have an idea or something in my head that I need to lay down

10. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Exactly what I would be doing that is CPU intensive

11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

the macbook will run circles around this one you posted, its not slower. its the same cpu and there are faster ones available.

get a macbook pro or learn it the hard way like i did, i had a couple of those fancy toys :P

but, tell us what you want to do exactly with this machine.
    do you have to run a band with fx or live-act/dj or what.

if you really need massive power you have to get a mobile workstation, not mobile gaming.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That laptop can handle it, but of course depending on the numbers of instances.
    I'm sure there's tons of sites on the net with a lot of information about how much CPU and RAM do you need for running X instances of Serum or Omnisphere. There are "a bit" popular ;-)

13. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I have a macpro and since I can transfer sessions between the Mac and PC I really wouldn't want to spend as much on a Macbook pro than I really need to. If the gaming rig I posted isn't enough to do small draft sessions then id probably won't get it but it seems like all point to yes.

PS don't get me wrong because I love me some Mac and still will be using a beast macpro but for something I would be using for draft sessions only I wouldnt want to pay the hefty price tag when I can pay 1/3 to get the same or better performance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  14. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Dude... wasting time AND money! I bought a used 2011 MacBookPro with 16GB Ram and 1TB HD for $600. It's my portable studio AND the Master in my Master (MBP)/Slave (Mac Pro Quad) configuration in my home studio (running VEP5 as the network/server) with High Sierra installed... and I write for film/TV.
    Which means, many times I have 200+ instances of Kontakt per track/song easily... PLUS plugins all across the board... do yourself a favor and stick with Apple. They're made for us media professionals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I hear you and I read debates on here why PC sucks or Mac sucks but I have a 6 core xeon macpro with maxed out ram and all 4 hot swap trays full of stuff but I'm not writing for film plus who knows, I might like PC better and knowing apple they'll stop supporting aging machines and I'll be stuck either having to buy another Mac that's going to cost the price of a Honda Civic in the near future. I'm trying to weigh out my options and don't want to be tied down to an ecosystem and see wider options.

I've also gave up on iPhones and bought a Google pixel 2 XL and to my surprise Its the best phone I've ever purchased so there's that .

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  16. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

Gaming computers are noisy and overclocked, many of them. This will get you some blue screens and plenty of heat/wind, when you least expect it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

That's why I would buy it from Costco so I could return it if needed

18. karnana

karnana Member

this makes a lot more sense.

19. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

It does make sense and LS setup sounds like a beast but what happens when apple stops supporting his machines like they are known to do? I love my Mac but I know PCs will outrun them any day of the week in terms of performance and price point

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It will be great! Add an RME Babyface Pro and you are on your way.

21. karnana

karnana Member

install windows? It's good for the price. You can't beat apples screen and keyboard. Get a portable dac too dragonfly red like.