Is this illegal for a MV?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Niruvana, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I am gonna make a music video. The footage comes from a movie(2005) and I will put my song in it. Of course, I would not say "xxx official MV", but would say "Dedicate to the move, yyy"
    Is it still illegal against copyright law? I have seen many people edited footage from a movie and put some music in it on Youtube. Thus, as far as know, it won't be any problem unless I stand for it is my official MV.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  3. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

i wanna know as well

4. Luka

Luka Platinum Record

I can't tell you what to do but what I can do is tell you who can help you with your problem. The only member on this forum that knows everything about the law and whom I have reason to believe is qualified to lend you legal advice is @TonyG. I based my opinion on what he has helped me with and the content of his threads. Someone else may disagree. The only problem is that he's been MIA for a while so I don't know if he left the site for good. If I was you I will reach out to him. You don't want legal questions answered by just anyone.

5. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Yes it is basically illegal. But not as in "you will get sued" kind of way. You can have it on YouTube, but you cannot make money from it. YouTube will recognize the movie material and show you the options, usually it will be "monetised by owner" so the movie maker will get some revenue from your video plays. It might also get blocked in some countries etc. It all depends on the material and the owner of the material.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You'll probably get the most reliable answer from the company that released to movie.

7. JST

JST Ultrasonic

@Nothingness

Using any material created by somebody else is illegal unless you have permission from the copyright owners. The Fair use and for educational purposes clause of copyright law is often cited by people who commit copyright infringement. Here are some simple guidelines: No money making by using someone elses work. No public display of anothers work. Copyright infringement is rampant. Get out of the habit of using other peoples work. It can be good for practice(educational purposes), but if you ever make money with something that includes anothers work, you will potentially lose all the money, and face criminal and civil penalties.

Nicks Strength and Power is a YouTube channel that I watch. The creator uses Copyrighted images from others all the time without permission. He has made and continues to make a lot of money from this channel. He is at risk of losing every dime he has made, and facing criminal and civil penalties. I have notified him, and he continues to use copyrighted material this way. Nothing may happen to him.

Here's a question I will ask you? Is Google liable, because he gets the copyrighted images that he uses from Google images, and posts the illegal content he has created to Youtube, which is owned by Google? YouTube(Google) and Nick are making money using others copyrighted work.

Warez is a much more complicated subject. You use Warez to make original art. Warez are tools. Warez are very different from other types of media, and the fact that software companies are claiming copyright protection, using licensing schemes, and other ploys, makes for murky legal waters, which gets much too deep for this discussion. Do not make money with warez. Create with them, but do not distribute them to make money.

Ciao

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. Yes, yes, I agree with the truth of every single letter of every single word you wrote, except..."It may seem ironic to be discussing the wrongs of copyright infringement on a site dedicated to warez discussion". This is not a site dedicated towards this purpose. Gee, even this thread had nothing to do with warez until you brought it up. There are discussions about the subject but it certainly is not remotely the focus. It is just tangental in aspect here at AS. The sister site is definately all about that though.

9. JST

JST Ultrasonic

@superliquidsunshine
    You are right. I apologize for my misrepresentation.
    In retrospect, that sentence was completely unnecessary. Thank you for the constructive criticism. I truly appreciate it. I have removed the sentence.

10. Thank you back at ya, I appreciate your reply.