Is this a virtual violin or a real one? How to make this piano sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by davidfrost, Dec 14, 2014.

1. davidfrost

davidfrost Member

Hey guys,

Found these awesome videos on Youtube and really appreciate if you could help me figure out two things.

On the first video: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11PT5jEug2c&list=UU3YgeLUvhkFhMnkN9_qNWFA[/media]
    is that a real violin or a virtual one?? Sounds like it might be from a library, but I can’t tell, I love the sound of it, it has a bit of a “gypsy” color to it.
    If it’s a virtual violin, can you PLEASE let me know from which library it is from!!:)

On the second video: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJYwQuFz-o&list=UU3YgeLUvhkFhMnkN9_qNWFA&index=1[/media]
    from time 1:12, there’s that beautiful piano/string sound that plays throughout the track,( it may be the same as the sound the plays on the track before on time 0:46, not sure) I LOVE this!! It’s really interesting sound and I wonder how I can make such a sound???

Thank you for the help!!

3. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I am going to guess it's library work... especially the second video (piano). Sounds like the Giant from NI, although layered with string, fx and other reverb tricks. Sounds cool, but I am guessing a lot of tweaking.... or of course it's some unknown preset to me ;)

4. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

I can't really know but, judging from the timbres, I think Neocymatics Strings could be a good choice for the violin sound (bathed in reverb and delay) and Best Service Galaxy (Steinway) [filtered and maybe with the pad-like layers] for the piano one.

5. davidfrost

davidfrost Member

Thank you Bandit! You have any idea from which library the Violin can be from?? But again the more I’m listening to this, it can also be a real one, because of the beautiful legato? Tricky one!… As for the piano, well…maybe the Giant from NI, still not sure about that.

6. davidfrost

davidfrost Member

Appreciate the help!

7. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Another possibility is it could be an electric violin as the sound is somewhat 'affected' with quite heavy reverb. Just a guess. However to me I think it's a sampled library, possibly one of the solo violin Libraries from LASS but just a guess. Hard to tell really.

8. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Most of it I've head before from various trailer music, seems to be a lazy trend to cut copy and call it their own.

9. davidfrost

davidfrost Member

I think it might be the Neocymatics Strings like "Gramofon" said,
    or an electric violin like " User 137" mentioned, yea, it makes more sense!
    Either way, it's really beautiful:))

10. Bandit

Bandit Producer

If you like it just try to make something yourself, it's all about trial and error!

11. davidfrost

davidfrost Member

Guess what guys… you’re all wrong, including me for the most part :rofl:

This is a real violin recording! No Sample library. I was just checking that video again and it looks like they added some more info… ”Violin playing by the Violinist Ima Jonsdottir.”

Well…there you go, very nice! :wink: I sure be getting that and gonna listen to the full track.

Merry X-mas!