Is there hardware or a sampler that can degrade the sample rate really low like around 2khz?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Jake Jlinngall, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Jake Jlinngall

Jake Jlinngall Kapellmeister

Thanks for your help as well amazing thread man never heard of these vst where have I been at?! Can't wait to test em all out!

2. alex921

alex921 Producer

Funny I've been doing this as wel, seems to lower the headroom, I used Aurchitect by audioFile Engineering for this, a batch audio converter which uses some Goodhertz stuff for their down and upconversion, or you can slice a whole bunch of loops within 10 seconds.Perhaps TAL-Sampler might be something for you as wel.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Audacity (free) -> Tracks -> Resample -> type in freq of choice, done.

4. PrettyPurdie

PrettyPurdie Guest

Noah describes how he downsamples his tracks to give them the underwater signature sound . i guess d16 decimort does the job. I only use fl love filter , its easy and fast

5. recycle

recycle Guest

You are looking for something like this in his outboard gear version:

[​IMG]
    https://d16.pl/decimort

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it exists on the market I'm afraid you have to use the plugin version to achieve the bit-crush effect
    On each old sampler there was the option to raise/lower the bitrate of a recording, but this means that you should re-record your samples one by one into the memory of your instrument (Time consuming)
    I use Elektron Digitakt: it has a bit reduction knob. I personally don’t find it the most inspiring effect, never used it.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can rerecord/resample a sample played at 2 octaves up. Then play it 2 octaves below. This was how it was done when using the limited memory in old HW samplers (to "double the capacity"), which now is a desired degradation (because everything is so pristine these days).
    At 44.1 it will then have a cut at around 6k. If you do it 3 octaves the cut will be at 3k. Etc.

7. recycle

recycle Guest

Right. I use to sample my 33rpm records at 45rpm into my Roland S50 to save memory space

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Pretty simple to make it with software. No need to buy all this expensive useless hardware samplers. Lo-fi doesn't cost too much. Another argument example: 300 bucks mic vs 10000 bucks mic is not 33,3 times difference. Even my Virus C is not useful anymore, you will not define this hardware VA synth among other analog-emulated software synths in my tracks. Virus, samplers, digital hardware are the same DSP code, but in the own box, with aliasing (yes, it is in Virus also), bit crush and other digital anomalies. It will not sound warmer nor analoger, it is digital too, nothing unique in digital hardware vs software. Difference only in code, implementation. Doesn't mean that all digital hardware coded better than software plugins.

Here:
    Filter, saturation/distortion.

9. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

10. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Right,that's why I only buy hardware analog gear.

11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I still have not heard software that nails the sound of an old 8/12/13 bit hardware sampler from the 80's, not to my ears. Especially specific samplers from Akai, E-mu and Ensoniq. I think I've tried them all and it always sounds like an approximation of some generic sampler you never heard of. IDK why exactly, technically, but I'm thinking the almost 30-40 year old inferior convertors on specific samplers play a role. There's more than just code gong on, that's for sure. Whatever is going on, I've yet to hear it replicated to my satisfaction. I really did want to keep these old beast in the closet. They're time consuming and a pain in the ass but they had to come out when I decided I wanted that sound in my current project. Now I'm sampling like crazy before these things break down in an attempt to build a library I can pull from long after they're gone.

It would be cool if someone can really nail it in software. I'll also take Behringer clones if they ever go there.