Is there a way to convert EZKeys midi packs to regular midi?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rage, Sep 13, 2023.

1. rage

rage Kapellmeister

I like a lot of the midi packs from EZKeys, but don't really have much use for the program, so I am wondering if there is a simple way of ripping the midi files from the pack containers?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

There is a "monthly all packs bundle", which you could extract to a new folder; if that is easier. But the folder structure is the same. You can extract the Windows exe of this, and it will preserve the directory structure.

The files you end up with which have no file extensions; you will need to figure those out. They are numbers 000400-000901.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. rage

rage Kapellmeister

Thanks man. The bummer is that all the add on packs are in database files. Seems like I will have to use EZKeys if I want to access the midi files. Guess that gives me an excuse to mess around with it's other features. I'll try out the Bandmate feature. I pretty much installed it, loved some of the midi in it, but thought it was just way more involved than what I need. I basically just wanted it originally for the MIDI files, to put together quick backing tracks with a drumbeat to play the bass to. Damn Toontrack gonna make me dig into the actual program, I guess.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

You can easily get folders #915 and up from the windows.exe installer for that midi bundle without even installing it. the ones from 400-900 have no file extensions and show up as text files on mac. Might be different for you.

6. Nefarai

Nefarai Kapellmeister

7. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

My usual workflow with is to preview the midifile into the EZ plugin, then drag/drop what I need into a new midi track. This trick works also with Toontrack drummer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Tomasmc71

Tomasmc71 Member

I personally use the midi out function in EZKeys to control any VST.Once you are satisfied with results just drag and drop.Also you can use EZKeys as a master chord track and have other channels listening in to recieve midi data.Works a charm in Ableton.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Not really, for this purpose, but it is a nice find. Bookmarked it, thank you :)

10. rage

rage Kapellmeister

I started digging into EZKeys a bit and surprised myself and I actually like it. Live and learn, I suppose. I liked it enough that I jumped into EZDrummer. I kind of saw it as overly involved for what I wanted, but it's actually a pretty great tool to arrange midi quickly. And @clone the Bandmate feature is surprisingly good at what it does. It's not perfect, but I was pretty impressed with it.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Me too. Not so much because it is awesome and magical; but because I expected it to really suck. It pretty much does what they claim and that is more than most I have seen in the past. You can bounce a audio file from your DAW and save it to your desktop, and then drag it back in. Even a file with a few layered sounds doesn't really negatively impact it detecting the keys and chord progression. 9/10 times I look at that plugin, it is for that feature and then I just drag the new midi part it has paired up back to the DAW. Logic can perform a similar function, but it is more convenient in EZ. It would make a cool plugin if it only did that in a MFX midi plugin to stick in front of a synth destination for the data. :)

12. tornado

tornado Newbie

midis don't work properly in chords, I can't get the efficiency I want, is there another program?

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm not really sure what you mean by this statement. There is probably a Chord Trigger plugin in your DAW. So I will suggest Scaler, Rapid Composer, Feel Your Sound House Engine and Melodic Flow, Chord Potion, Audiomodern Chordjam, Pitch Innovations Fluid Chords, W.A. Instachord, Venomode Phrasebox, Midi Madness 3, Xfer Cthulhu, or Squareheads Nora. They are all Midi FX plugins and capable of Chords; but some are more like Arpeggiators or Pattern-Based. A lot of these come down to someone's personal preference.

14. tornado

tornado Newbie

dude nora is really nice, the only thing missing is that the midi pattern I dragged does not play on the chords we apply, it works when we enter the patterns manually. what I want is a program like nora to play the notes in the scale of the chords we trigger when we drag and release the midi pattern.