Is there a VSTi that can mimic this Violin articulation?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ARTHEMISC, Nov 2, 2023.

1. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Hello, that's very interesting. I forgot I ever saw the demo long time a go.
    Thank you for reminding.
    I just checked it out on YouTube and it sounds very expressive.

Thank you for the advice.
    I remember trying it long time a go but couldn't find what I was looking for in that library. Maybe I'll test it again, thanks. :bow:

2. Ionian Audio

Ionian Audio Member

Joshua bell violin for kontakt

3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes it is MiDi, to be precise (MiDi) MPE. The MPE part ist why an expression controller or a wind controller makes so much sense when you use SWAM. It's just a new world of playing strings or woodwinds.

And yes it's editable but I must confess with all that data MPE generates that would be a pain to edit everything by hand.
    But you can do it in two steps: 1st painting/editing the MiDi notes and 2nd playing in the expression by overdubbing the MiDi with an expression pedal or a wind/breath controller.
    When you use the SWAM instruments with an expression controller SWAM does no longer take the attack but uses the expression parameter for the loudness of a note.

So, the simple combination of a MiDi Keyboard for the note, an expression controller (pedal ord breath) for loudness and the pitchbend for vibrato makes SWAM instruments quite believable.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  4. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Yeah, I have the Yamaha BC-2 that I bought during the hype of SY99, I used it once, difficult as hell to calibrate, and after some time it gives you throat discomfort. Better an expression pedal, but for woodwinds, brass or sax b.c. could be a plus (e.g. tongue flutter).
    MIDI cc means (from google):
    while MIDI controller is the physical device that sends them.
    Yes that's what I meant for post recording: not audio but MIDI editable recorded sequence where you can add as many MIDI controls you want.