Is There a Tuning Kick Vst Plugin?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Bleu, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Shatterling

Shatterling Member

To find the note of a pitched kick, you can just pull up a clean patch on an instrument plugin--a piano patch would work well--and play through an octave as the kick loops until you find the note that harmonizes best (I say "best" because not every kick is going to be perfectly tuned unless the creator did it intentionally). Once found, whatever note you're playing on the keyboard is the note the kick is pitched at. Tuning this way is just like tuning a guitar without a tuner by harmonizing the strings relative to each other. It might sound like a hassle, but it's extremely easy once you know what to listen for, and it's something musicians at every skill level should know how to do.

As other posters said, it might be helpful to bump the kick up an octave before you start, and remember that a plain kick without a sub-bass element won't be pitched at a note. If you'd like to understand why that's the case, here's an article about synthesizing non-pitched percussion:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2016040...sound.com/sos/jun99/articles/synthsecrets.htm

And here's one about kicks specifically:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2016042...d.com/sos/jan02/articles/synthsecrets0102.asp

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. SummA

SummA Newbie

3. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

MAnalyzer from MeldaProduction has a note readout for each of the peaks that it detects. Basically analyze the kick with it, find the fundamental note, and tune it accordingly to the key of your project by using a pitchshifting algorithm or speeding up/slowing down the sample. MAnalyzer is free with the MFreeEffects bundle. You can get it here

Melodyne could be useful as well.

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Ableton Live's stock analyzer (spectrum) and surgical eq (EQ Eight) show you what key any frequency translates to.
    Plus, you have to use your ears. On paper, the kick can be in key, but it can sound off nevertheless. That's where your ears come in. And this is valid for all the other drums as well, I always tune drums by ear.

5. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

Use Voxengo SPAN**.

I have that (and a Smexoscope) on my master at all times.

But you have to set SPAN up so that it provides the most detailed view of the sounds that go through it.

You move the mouse along the screen and you can see what frequency AND note is there, plus, its shows the cents +/- that the note is at.

For kicks, a lot of the time (because not all kicks are exactly like, as far as duration, etc) the sub will have a peak that his higher than any other harmonic content present... and THAT is the note.

Another thing that helps is to take a kick and raise it an octave or two, and the note will be easily audible then. You just hit a key on a piano or midi-instrument, and figure it out from there. Than reset the octaves and you are good.

If you are interested in my suggestion, PM me and I will explain the SPAN setting that need to be changed in order to provide the most detail... I can also show you a screenshot of what an example kick may look like, and where the "tune" of it would be located, etc.

** SPAN: I am a Live user, and SPAN is better than the stock analyzer.. as far as detail is concerned. Not that anyone can NOT get by with the stock one, but honestly, I can show you (or anyone else for that matter) and the difference is factual... not simply a question of "preference."

Good luck...

P.S. DO NOT rely on some "tuner" analyzer "thing"... there is so much harmonic content in many kicks that the "tuner/analyzer" may be drawn to any of a number of harmonic peaks.

Also, any of these B.S. sample companyies that provide the "note name" of the given kick sample (or any type of percussive element) are very often incorrect... by, generally, a semi-tone... usually.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

MTuner by Melda prod. (free vst for mac/Win)
    Tuner device by Ableton

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Tbh I'm not sure using an EQ is the best idea. The nature of kick drums is that they descend in pitch very quickly. So whatever is showing on your EQ is not necessarily how you're hearing it, especially if your EQ's display refreshes slowly. Maybe just spend a while listening to kick drums until you can hear the tonality in them. I know it sounds like a mammoth task but it happens quicker than you think.

@ArticStorm I don't really have a lot of luck with Ableton's tuner going that low. Oh well. Btw I see your pm. You and like three other people I'm slacking on getting back to. I will do it soon.

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Tuner doesn't work very well with kicks, if at all.

9. Bleu

Bleu Newbie

Thank you so much guys for the reply and time:bow::wink:. I see a lot good post's what i need:winker:

I see now that I write the name of the topic wrong i mean How To Analyze The Key Of The Kick? instead of Is There A Tuning Kick Plugin?

But a lot of Post here is how to Analyze The Key Of The Kick so i think that everybody now what i mean:) Sorry for the confusion.

10. Angelitron

Angelitron Newbie

"Tune It" (Aglae Software) in high precision mode works for me..

11. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

On Logic I use the pitch correction to find the key usually, just playing the kick in an higher octave. But Kicks can be hard to find through that. On FL they have an analyser which pretty much shows you the HZ or Key. 808 type kicks are just too easy to find, I use melodyne, or newtone on FL. Newtone is pretty sick actually, an unsung hero.

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

worked well here, it now shows the correct key.
    also keep in mind, that you have a pitch in there, which isnt going over a full octave, so its hard to detect the the right tune.
    maybe its better just to use the Sub part and tune it and do the same with the high part, but separate.

i get eh same results with Mtuner and Tuner Device.

best solution is still a drum synth like KICK2, Metrum or whatever where you can tune all parts like you want it as to do it with an overprocessed kickdrum by vengeance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Why do people still make it so difficult with eq's, tuners, analyzers etc?
    Just load your sample in Celemony Melodyne (the standalone version) and it shows you exactly what the key is including + or - cents.
    Load it into a sampler (like Kontakt) and adjust the pitch to make the amount zero.
    And if you want to do it in real time (creating your own kicks in a DAW) use the plug-in version.
    I never found an easier way. And yes you can demo this tool for almost a month.
    It's also helpful to find midi notes from wave files to recreate or remix something.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

15. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Here's a frequency chart that should help. Choose the note then pitch it to the closest fundamental frequency:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. upsydown

upsydown Newbie

Definitely ISM Bazzism bro! all you have to do is choose the corresponding frequency for the key you want your kick to be, by right clicking on the top right little blue bar (fEnd) icon and choose it! voila

[​IMG]

17. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

if somebody missed

18. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

aymat I use notes to freq charts since some year, but not on kicks, on bass, vocals and master mainly.
    That's very useful in my opinion to fix problems on bass and to find nice musical freqs to be enhanced.
    BUT if I may you have to keep in mind that the chart is for MAJOR tonalities only.
    If your tune is in a minor tonality you have to see the minor scale and what major tonality it is related to.
    Then you use the right one from the chart. Or it's all useless, no big differences in Hz but you're not using the right frequencies.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  19. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

• my fav kick plug and its developers:
    IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG

I'm kidding don't shoot me

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Recap:

* Use a eq / visyual realtime analyzer to identify its harmonic foundation
    * User a Kick Plugin like Kick2 , Credland , Bazzism etc which lets you dial in the target root note.
    * Use Keyfinder do batch append its root note to the filename
    * a tuning plugin might be harder to use sind a Kick is most time a fast sweep ...