Is there a simple/best way to get desktop connected to WiFi?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Apr 5, 2023.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

The TP Link is 150mbps. Basically, the same throughput as a 10/100 ethernet card. The more desirable (higher amplification) Alfa models take up 2 usb ports. The TP-Link can be used with a tablet for Kali Nethunter using just 1 port. If you do want to work with a Virtual Machine target like Metasploitable or other Windows NIST images, the VM is run inside of Kali; not the other way around.
    If the interface is loaded to Windows first, the Mac address of the interface cannot be changed, as it can with macchanger in Kali.

But my overall point, was that Alfa Networks interfaces are not built very durable. They are a RTL8187 chipset inside a plastic 2 piece case. Each new Alfa model seems to have thinner and thinner plastic cases. They can be easily broken in a laptop bag, etc. If the user does not need Packet Injection with an Alfa or Ubiquity, they are waste of the additional cost to a windows user. You can get a usb wifi stick at your local store for right around 10 bucks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  2. Haliax

Haliax Guest

Both of my Alfa interfaces take a single USB port

I have had mine for 2 years, it has travelled to Dubai and back in a laptop bag and still in perfect condition. The original ask was for a device that would live in a studio, so durability is not going to be an issue.

My post about Alfa was high gain which allowed connectivity through old brick walls which is why I mentioned it as a viable option, packet injection is a bonus (for me anyway) with that model (I need this for work reasons)

3. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

If you are on Windows and you don't want your machine to connect to the internet directly, you could use Tinywall https://tinywall.pados.hu/ When you are using it, you can allow lan traffic only easily. Just make sure you don't allow windows update in the "special exceptions" settings if you dont want your machine to update on its own. Then you can use a virtual machine to connect to the internet and share the download folder with your host machine over the local lan. This way, you will have internet access without your audio machine being connected to the internet.