Is there a program out there that does what Audacity does — only better?

Discussion in 'Software' started by msdbaf, Jul 17, 2021.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Something like Sound Forge might be excessive, but Mixpad might be the ticket.

2. FrequencyModulation

FrequencyModulation Ultrasonic

REAPER is not free :no:
    Despite it's a full featured DAW you can customize whole workflow including custom shortcuts, ui looks & behavior, scripts, etc. to perform as a very powerful specific purpose application. It's not only for writing/mixing/mastering music like some other DAWs i can assure you.

3. marveljam

marveljam Ultrasonic

Reaper is not free and is truly awesome. It will go as deep as you want to go. You get a trial period that never truly ends. They only ask $60 for a full featured product. Also, we should call out donationware in general as it gives you plenty of time to try it. Donate if you think the dev deserves the money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. visitor

visitor Guest

I personally use Soundforge as my main go-to audio editor. Helps me get rid of breaths and ambient noises in vocal recordings easily :).

5. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

What are the system requirements of that DAW?
    Official site has one only page with no explanations

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

can't find system requirements either, but i did find this: "Note: The Windows installer is 32 bit only for now, installing on a 64 bit based Windows installation will not work. Future versions will support 64 bit."

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I can't find anything either - looks like the site or product is no longer supported or promoted!
    Is full of Malware - sorry this one is junk.
    Do not install !!!

8. .\\0zart

.\\0zart Newbie

There are excellent alternatives in previous comments. I use Audition or SoundForge.
    Re: Audacity... there is another version in the works!? "Audacity announced user data collection..."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5g...a-collection-so-coders-made-their-own-version

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been editing audio for a few centuries, so just a beginner really, and I find SoundForge really the best of the best, however... Ocenaudio, Wavosaur, Audition [former Syntrillium Cool Edit was/is incredible!], FL Edison, and iZotope RX are pretty much the only good choices depending on what you need be done.

Example: I use hardware samplers so SoundForge is the only one that can still send/receive samples over SCSI [last century tech], but I also use Wavosaur and Ocenaudio from Reaper for editing. The two are rather different and Wavosaur has an incredible batch function. Edison is VST and incredible for editing within the DAW so you don't need a multi-client ASIO driver. It's also incredibly powerful! I'm honestly surprised nobody mentioned Edison.

So personally I use SoundForge, Ocenaudio, Wavosaur, and Edison with Reaper, and the last version of the original Cool Edit 2000 [!] on another WinXP system for editing samples.

It might seem that there are an overwhelming number of great audio editors, but there actually aren't. However, what you have at your disposal is far more than enough to be able to do anything you want to the recorded audio that you want. :wink:

Cheers! And make good music! Most of all enjoy yourselves doing it! :wink:

p.s. Acon Digital Acustica is not bad, but I had some problems with it. I was trying to make it do what Wavosaur does, but it just isn't as capable. I like Acon Digital plugins, but their editor seems to miss some ingredients.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  10. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Cool Edit Pro 2, best editor back then and also a multitrack capable DAW,
    no modern VST support tho..

Ofc Adobe Audition bought it and has been modernizing it ever since,
    but in terms of raw Editing CE Pro still stands for me.. in fact I got it integrated in Reaper as the default Editor

For a better non-multitrack editor, Izotope RX, or I guess Wavelab, Soundforge..

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I much prefer Audition v1.5 over Cool Edit Pro 2. The best Audition version of all IMHO, the later versions lack a few important features and are starting up much too slow.
    On Mac I'm using Ocenaudio because the workflow is somewhat similar to Audition.

12. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i am using Goldwave for over 20 years now. think i started with version 4.26

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

In Wavelab it is called Audio Montage. I'm not sure about Soundforge.

My point was a companion program for the DAW, not a complete replacement of one.

15. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Personally I like DSP Quatro it's $99/€99 it is MacOS only though.

Cross platform I would have to recommend Audition.

SoundForge ($49) is very capable but it is PC only you have to get SoundForge Pro ($299) to get cross platform access and Magix probably will deprecate the Mac code eventually as it's not really in the wheelhouse.

16. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

17. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I had not tried FL Edison before. It's a very nice editor with some obvious benefits of being a VST
    but I also just tried it hosted in the tiny Savihost wrapper and confirm it also acts as a great standalone editor in that set up.

EDIT: and then I discovered another version that already has a standalone minihost so do I get a prize for wasting your time? :dunno:

EDIT 2: maybe I wasn't wasting your time after all.
    FL's minihost version won't let me enlarge the user interface.
    When wrapped in Savihost I can still get a much larger screen size.
    Either I'm missing something in FL minihost or Savihost has an advantage.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  18. karatebaka

karatebaka Member

19. cyrano

cyrano Member

As much as I'd like to applaud Tenacity, I'm afraid they're already falling for the same hysteria that caused main stream press to label Audacity spyware, it seems the fork is already infested.

Not "infested" as in malware, but infested by the same loudmouths from Reddit. FI one of the Tenacity devs, a trans female, has been doxxed, she twittered. 4chan behaviour?

It seems Tenacity devs acted in very good faith, but on false presumptions. There isn't a privacy problem in the current version of Audacity and the telemetry planned will be default "off".

I presume they've probably also underestimated the task a bit. Let's not forget it took current Audacity devs years to clean up the code left over from the previous team. Building an audio tool for Windows, Macos and Linux isn't exactly easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Impressing number of editors you´re using @SineWave - some pretty outdated (win7 etc) imho.

I basically use two editors: Wavelab and Spectralayers ......... I also use Izotope RX wich is ok for a very few things, but I could easily live without it.

:wink: