Is there a plugin that smooths midi controller data?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Popotan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Popotan

Popotan Guest

Is there a plugin or a built in function in a DAW out there that smooths the transitions between controller data. I want to be able to convert the note velocity to channel 11 using Cubase's logical editor then have a plugin smooth the transitions. There is a plugin in Vocaloid that does this perfectly so I figure there should be something out there that does the same in a DAW.

I want to go from this:
    [​IMG]

To something like this:
    [​IMG]

I tried one of the Piz MIDI Plugins, but it was very limited and I had to route the midi track through it and into another midi track then record to make the changes. I also really couldn't adjust the smoothing like I could in the Vocaloid plugin.

3. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Your DAW doesn't have a "curve" pencil tool for MIDI?

4. Popotan

Popotan Guest

My workflow consists of playing the parts on my keyboard. Then I convert the velocity to CC#1 or 11 depending on the orchestral library I am using. Then I want to somehow be able to automatically smooth all the transitions between the notes so it isn't jerky and sounds natural. Then I will further edit that data and add all the crescendos and diminuendos as needed.

Granted I could ride the mod wheel as I play the parts in but I feel I get more realistic results this way...

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

You can probably find one in bidule in the midi bidules or one "group" that was made by other users that fill this purpose. I might have come accross one once, not really sure, there are many of them. Worst case scenario you can easily make one yourself.

Also maybe the tool from Blue Cat to control midi, remote control (https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_RemoteControl/). You might be able to map the incoming cc to the cc inside Remote control where you can change the response curve, ect...Probably a simpler option.

Example close to what you wanna do (I think) at around 2:00....Bonus : it's in Cubase..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

7. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Use the Logical Editor:

Filter Target Condition Parameter 1
    Type is Equal Controllerote

Action Target Operation Parameter 1
    Value 2 Round by (try diferent parameter)

8. Popotan

Popotan Guest

I need something that subdivides the controller data and smooths the transitions. This only seems to bring the steps closer together, sort of like how choosing MIDI -> Functions -> Velocity -> Compress/Expand would do for the midi note velocity.

@Talmi I vaguely remember using a scripting plugin from Blue Cat to try and achieve this sort of functionality. I do not know if it was this one though. This is sort of the same concept as the Piz midi plugin I tried, and suffers from the same drawback of me having to route the track through it and record to a new track. Also I don't think adjusting the response curve would smooth out jumps in controller data, or if it did the smoothing would only start after the jump leading to a weak attack for all the notes and not the smooth change in velocities that I am looking for.

I might look into Plogue's Bidule though as that looks like a perhaps more powerful version of Cubase's logical editor.