Is there a good Waves RBass (Renaissance) alternative?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Retrolize77, Dec 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. J Frank Badass

J Frank Badass Ultrasonic

+1 for NewB...used it quite a bit
    a little goes a long way

also possibly the VSM-3, not sure

2. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Actually, my comment missed the mark here, I stated my usual low end tools instead of paying attention to the OP & title:facepalm:.

But to anwser your question, I would go for the Tape and Saturation styles.
    since rBass produces mainly odd harmincs far as I could tell when I used it a long time ago. (which tent to work great on sub lows)
    To reach Rbass extreme settings I would add surf eq too that too.

3. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Also interesting Nugen Monofilter.

4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

No one mentioned MaxxBass? It's similar to RBass, but has different (and a bit more) controls. So if you're happy with RBass, maybe you would like MaxxBass even more.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm late to the game but I'm 97% sure RBass is just a saturation and bandpass filter (in that order) in parallel.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. GianaSister

GianaSister Producer

sonic anomaly bass professor 1 and 2

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Saur

Saur Ultrasonic

So basically, odd harmonics and boosting the fundamental? I kept adding even harmonics because I wanted that tube-sound. So maybe in general, tape / odd harmonics are good for bass instruments, wheras tube/even are good for other instruments?

Bandpass how? It's only allowing 1 band of saturation through?

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

In that order as I wrote. Saturation and bandpass. Saturation brings out harmonics and acts as a compressor. The bandpass controls the harmonics and focuses in on a specific band, that you blend in with the original. It's not more complicated than that, but Waves found a way to market it inside one simple plugin. They do this quite often. If you look under the hood of some plugins, it's not rocket surgery (processing-wise).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Exactly. But fabfilter does not do solo saturation, hence the surf eq because I do not know of another way:bleh:

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I gotta disagree a little, imo better, and best plugin to make epic bass is MCharacter by Melda,

unlike most of the plugins mentioned, it's not frequency-based but harmonics-based and can do whatever anyone wishes (upwards harmonics, downwards harmonics, enhancement, suppression etc..),

here's a humble reference of MCharacter from our live band rehearsal I briefly mixed, particularly dat rumble around 8:55 is pure bass love:

:chilling:

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Fabfilter is the company. Which plugin are you talking about? Pro-Q3? Yes, it has bandpass.

Surf EQ?
    Just load a simple bandpass. There are plenty (even freeware). Load saturation and bandpass in parallel (send).

12. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Ultrasonic

13. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Ultrasonic

You are not 97% right,you are 100%wrong.the Maxxbass algorithm and subsequently RBass is actually tremendously sophisticated.for starters it doesn't even involve a non-linearity in the traditional sense.the patent ran out on the technology this or last year.google it you can see for yourself in the paper its not an easy thing to mimick

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm talking about RBass, not MaxxBass.

MaxxBass paper says this:
    "To create auditory sensation below the loudspeaker cutoff frequency, f3, MaxxBass divides the audio signal into two frequency passbands around f3. For each frequency present in the lower band (a fundamental), MaxxBass generates a carefully weighted series of upper band harmonics designed to stimulate an auditory sensation at the loudness and pitch of the original fundamental. MaxxBass filters out the lower passband using a 24 dB/octave high pass filter, and then combines the generated harmonics and the original higher passbandsignal into one that contains information relevant to both the low and high frequency bands. In this way, MaxxBass allows the loudspeaker to operate at its reference efficiency while retaining psychoacousticallyweighted information from all parts of the original frequency spectrum."
    https://maxx.com/wp-content/uploads..._Enhancement_System_on_Loudspeaker_Design.pdf

Just do a simple test and run white noise through RBass, along with a phase-inverted signal of the same white noise. Then check it out in a spectrum analyzer. If that's not a bandpass, you can call me 100% incorrect.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Well yeah, I meant was: fabfilter saturn does let me solo the harmonics, so that's why I use surf eq to balance out the loudness.
    Not the same, but gets close.

16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You don't really need to solo harmonics. The bandpass does that for you (limits the upper and lower cutoff and sets a "center. You then blend that in with the orignal source.
    Edit: Just to add: Sure, a multiband distortion like Saturn and an EQ after it will create similar effect. No doubt.

It's a known trick that can be used to thickening up anything from bass to vocals. It can also be used to add sheen to vocals ("air") when bandpassing upper harmonics. It can be used in many ways, just like New York compression in a similar fashion.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List