Is the Roland System-1 any good?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Bunford, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

It seems like it's pretty much like an ACB-based plugin within a dedicated controller box, which I'm fine with as long as it sounds good.

Is it good as both a synth and as a MIDI controller? Are the knobs and faders MIDI mappable to use wirh other soft synths? Does it output audio over USB (and is it using Roland's usual of needing to take over audio interface duties if this is used)?

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

System 1 is only a plugin, as far as I know. Which controller are you speaking about?

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

It's a hardware synth and existed before the plugin version, which is based on it. Here is the product page:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/system-1/

It's this device:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

I have one and it's kind of fun, for a while. It can produce it's own sound output or act as a hardware controller like the Virust TI used to. The sound is cold and harsh and the instrument build is awful. I tore mine down to clean the keybed and made it worse. If you're ever near Australia swing by and I'll give you mine. I can't stand those green lights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Yup, the sound is cold and harsh.

7. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Own the System-1m, and original SH-2 and SH-101. It pretty much nails their sound, I wouldn't say either were cold, certainly not a SH-2.
    It's ACB, knob per function. Limited, the same as the OG models. Synth engine is ok, I don't ever use it though, only models.
    If you can get it cheap, it's a great synth. Not a System-8 though.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

How does the MIDI control element of it work? Do the knobs and faders send MIDI out too? So, can it translate to a knob pet function type controller for soft synths that have those functions if mapped, such as Serum?

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The one available local to me is available for £200, so not hugely cheap, but I'm already considering my option for a purchase of a small form factor MIDI controller, so contemplating whether the extra on top to add in a synth as well as a MIDI controller is worth it (if it has extensive MIDI control).

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ah OK
    I don't find it in stores.
    Is it discontinued?

11. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Yeah, as a small form MIDI controller and synth to boot. I can't really comment on the keys as I use the 1m, mainly for cv connections.

I've just checked the midi implementation, and it looks like most are transmitted 1 through 119.

Maybe worth a watch if not seen previously?

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not able to watch at the moment as I'm travelling and not able to get WiFi.

Does this it does have full MIDI, even for all the knobs and faders?

I know people say the keys aren't great and aren't ever velocity sensitive, nevermind aftertouch.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Here's the pdf manual: https://www.roland.com/global/suppo...manuals/0c905c71-c4c6-4078-9ff3-066c54cb2c5d/

The manual is not all that great great, so here's the Midi Implementation:
    https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SYSTEM-1_MIDI_Imple_Chart_e01_W.pdf

It can send/rec 120 Control Change parameter values, but that doesn't mean they all can be assigned to every control. Just like most other synths. But below is an interesting note:

A FEW MORE THINGS
    The SYSTEM-1 looks great, and is designed to work seamlessly with other products in the AIRA series. In addition, you can connect the SYSTEM-1 to your computer via its USB jack to send and receive both audio and MIDI data, including MIDI clock information to sync with external devices and other AIRA units.

14. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

If the keys are more important than sound, then I'd say there's probably much better options on the market.
    I've not used the keys, but I've not heard any great reports from them either.