Is the Presonus Faderport v1 still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, May 15, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've been offered one that's as new locally for £35 and considering a purchase. Is it still worth it and working in Windows 11 with Cubase/Nuendo 12 and Live 11?

I like the single fader form factor so it doesn't clutter while giving full DAW control, as well as a mixing and automation writing surface with the motorised fader.

Is it still good in 2023, considering the £35 price tag in context versus the newer v2 that's almost £200?

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  3. StormChaser

StormChaser Kapellmeister

Hey Bunford

For £35.00 absolutely.

I use mine every single day, I would be lost without it. £35.00 is an absolute bargain, but I would definately check the fader is all in order.

Only thing stopping me from getting one of the bigger units is literally space.

Good luck friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

Can't tell for Cubase, but im using one with ableton 11 and it works perfectly. All the buttons are assigned to useful functions (sends, rack parameters...) by default using the built-in ableton script. Just make sure to press the "stop" button and then the "output" one before launching Live to enable the Mackie control mode and then you're good to go. Worth it in my opinion as the v2 doesnt offer more than this one

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's good, but check the original firmware for compatibility with your DAW. I use Reaper and some members of the forum have written custom firmware for it with added functionality, and it also works with the new ReaLearn & CSI. I love Reaper!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

V2 doesn't have clicky buttons :)

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Have you looked at the X-Touch One? It seems more useful for the size and works great with Reaper (if you use it?).

8. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    I use it almost everyday. It still works fine after 3-4 years that i own it and i bought it as second hand. Also is really convenient to carry it whenever i have to travel. Even without the power supply , works fine (except the motorized fader). The 100mm fader gives you fine adjustments. I use it with LPX .For 35 bucks i wouldn't think of v2. The only chance , would be for multichannel options. For single channel , 35 is as good as it gets (unless it's a scam) :guru:

9. StormChaser

StormChaser Kapellmeister

Hey Zenarcist

Thanks for reaching out, up until your post no I hadn’t heard of the X-Touch.

Just looked it up, it looks lovely and pretty cheap too.

I use Studio One 6 as my main DAW which is why I got the Faderport, but if this thing works with Studio One I think I'll have to order one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

All of these controllers are dependent on the DAW for compatibility and functionality, and it can be very frustrating if they don't work properly, so definitely do some research first.

11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The X-Touch One does look nice, but if I was spending that much I'd wait for the Icon Pro Audio P1 Nano to be released that was recently announced at NAMM (go to 3:53 for the P1 Nano).

12. BeatsNFreakz

BeatsNFreakz Member

I’m drooling over this thing. (V1) I currently have a pro g2 and I absolutely love it seemless integration with Bitwig

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It looks nice, Any idea on pricing? It would all depend on how it works with my DAW. The X-Touch One is nothing special, but it works perfectly with my setup. A dysfunctional controller is nothing more than a paperweight :)

14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I have it and I think it's useless,
    I mean, depending on which DAW you use and how efficient you can be with just a mouse and keyboard, motorized fader doesn't really offer that much, and rest of the buttons are waste of space altogether imo,
    35 bucks is a fair price,
    IF your DAW can support it, and you have no better place to spend your money, then sure it may be fun experience to try,
    ps: do note motorized fader only works with external power plugged in, and do note firmware upgrade requires computer without any USB 3.0 headers but also at least up-to-date Windows 7 or MacOS 10.11

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

There is an app "Universal Control" at Presonus that is compatible with W7 and there's an app for W10 up. You need it to be able to update firmware and newer app doesn't contain the firmware updater. Read it on Presonus...

You also need to connect it to a USB2 port, yes. After you updated the firmware you don't need the app any more.

IDK... I've had it for like a decade and find it very useful and fast to work with. Especially for 35 quid. I paid $100 at the time. If I was to buy a "mix controller" like this today, I would have a hard time choosing between Behringer X-Touch and Faderport, though. The wheel on X-touch is very useful, but if you use Reaper there is a very configurable driver for FaderPort that does everything you want the way you want it. :wink:

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I can rotate the active plugin window with mine :)