is the low end of my mixes too loud or am I a mixing god?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by reverbmuddiesmix, Sep 9, 2020.

1. reverbmuddiesmix

reverbmuddiesmix Member

i'm not sure if i might have a monitoring issue with my low end. whenever A/Bing my mixes with selected reference songs i always find that my low end is more or maybe too prominent compared to the reference songs. but when playing my mixes on different systems (eg. in my car) i always find that my low end works really well. now i'm not sure if i'm a bit of a mixing genius by now ;) and the commercial tracks i reference with just lack low end/have their low ends badly mixed or if i'm not a mixing god at all and my low end is way too loud. could you therefor please check my following mixes on your monitors and let me know if you find that my mixes are well balanced or not and in case that you'll find them not well balanced please point out the frequency ranges that have issues:

cheers and thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

What speakers and headphones are you using? Your "heavy metal" track is one of the worst mixes I have ever heard in my life, wow.

"G-funk" has some promise, but is too loopy. Add more parts and variation, and vocals, you can release it.

4. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

you are a mixing god

5. HERMES

HERMES Newbie

The mixes are kinda muddy. It seems like you want this vintage style but its kinda tiring when listening to these tracks more than one time. Try to reduce the reverb of the drums (low cut around 80-180). Also you need to add some warmth and finally from a musical point of view, work on those beat stops. They are too steep.

6. reverbmuddiesmix

reverbmuddiesmix Member

adam a7 and sony mdr 7506. what exactly is wrong with my heavy metal track? it sounds pretty good to me, especially when A/Bing with other overloud metal reference tracks

7. reverbmuddiesmix

reverbmuddiesmix Member

w0000t. i knew it :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. reverbmuddiesmix

reverbmuddiesmix Member

pls tell me what u mean by beat stops, since i never heared this expression before.

9. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

I don't know what are you "a/b-ing", but it's totally muddy with no separation in the bass and the only drum you can hear in the main part is the snare, which is too loud.

10. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Everyone in cheap mixing rooms have problems with their low end. Just some have it more than others ;) Try capturing bass waves with your 4 inch sound panels in your bedroom lol.

11. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I like the triphop joint!

As far as mix I think you're almost ready to teach youtube tutorials. But first you must take my course Mix Masta Dog to god

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

Take a 4 bar loop and repeat it for 3 minutes until everyone is bored senseless. Add a ton of reverb to make everything muddy and washed out. Hmm, great concept you have there.

To be honest I didn't notice much wrong with the bass, it was everything else that was the problem. You really need to rethink your mixing and song structure so you get some clarity in your sound and a little variation in your tracks to keep them interesting.

13. jointsmoker

jointsmoker Noisemaker

dude , are you using reverb all the way on your master ?
    bagpipe , heavy metal, really blow my mind , can you please let us know the software you use ?

14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I have read that beatstops are when the beat stops. Too steep , I assume to mean too extreme.

15. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Sorry you are not a mixing God.
    You have one serious problem. You are not hipassing each track to get rid of unnecessary lowend.
    It is simple. Put a HiPass filter on each track then wind the frequency up till it starts to destroy the sound then back it off slightly.
    Dont worry if parts sound a bit thin as when you put it all together it will be compensated for by the Bass etc.
    You will notice there is no clarity in your mixes because you have bottom build up of all your instruments.
    Layer you sounds with LoPass HiPass filters so they have their own space.
    You will be surprised how easy t is.
    It took me a lot of years to work this out and I have been mixing for more than 50 years.
    Spencer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. spencer26

Try this and post a new mix here and I will give you some directions.
    Spencer

17. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

cmon guys.. its clear that he has nailed it and are just where he want to be with his mixes.. he states that in his car all reference tracks are to weak in the low end so.. nothing to improve here..

Seriously thou.. Tuning in on the first track i was about to say that low end wasnt just the only thing it lacked. but after listening to the other ones i cant even find anything that has to do with what he's asking for help with. So in the direction of the OP i say this.. tear it all down and start from the beginning. As someone said, the metal track is kind of the worst ive heard, PERIOD.. and ive heard some really bad shit over the years, incuding my own shit.. But as you have some desent gear im just amazed how far off you are on some of theese tracks. Wonder what reference tracks you are trying to get close to.. Must sound terrible.. But as said, start over again, listen to some advices on how to do things and be open what you hear and learn. There aint any rules set in stone on how to make things sound good cause there is many paths to the same thing but in the end it must atleast sound desent. Trying not to be to hard on you here but you need to hear the truth. As someone said the G-funk thing was something to build on but still it lacks alot, to much to even go in to some specific things. But basic things like deepth, stereo field, dynamics and so on just aint there. Atleast try learn you monitors or headphones, one at the time..

18. anvier

anvier Ultrasonic

For me you have to monoizing the low frecuencies

19. spencer26

Not really necessary anymore. It was mainly for Disccutting. If you clean up the bottom end with filters you wont have a problem.
    I used to mono everything under 150hz as bass down there has no real direction.
    But if it makes your more confident do it.
    Spencer

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Is the low end of your mixes too loud? Nope, it's unbalanced, as well as the mids (maybe the main issue in the HM track) and the highs. On principle, even if to different amount and direction, in all these tracks, sadly.
    Therefore, sorry, you're not a mixing God.
    Go, grab an analyzer, look at the stereo signal, the mids and sides and start again, from the beginning, with all sounds, in every track.
    And delete your reference tracks.

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Just for the record, I'm rating comments assuming the "mixing god" thing is a joke.
    Better safe then sorry y'know...