Is the Intel 14900K any good? How does it compare to AMD?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Oct 21, 2024.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

I've got the Z790 Hero/14700KF combo. Very happy with it. When you're talking about someone like ASUS who have sold over 500 million motherboards to date, for every person experiencing issues there are many thousands who aren't.

2. Leonn

Leonn Member

LOL dude you really have no idea how huge this is....
    Several Youtube channels (with millions of subscribers) reported it.
    Just an example.... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gamers+nexus+asus

Saying that there are just a few issues compared to thousands not is an understatement.
    Just watch the videos... it even comes with prove and (bullshit) responses from ASUS.

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yes, they messed up. I agree with you. But they were also exposed, fixed the issue in BIOS, and are now making it right with regard to previous warranty claims etc. It was big, and they f**ked up, but they've appeared to have made it right now for new customers, at least.

But, this is where I'm at now after some tinkering. Stable with a 6.05GHx 7950X at 30-35 degrees with 6000MHz RAM (could only get to 5800MHz at 1:1 or 6000Mhz at 2:1).

I think I've been lucky too in the chip lottery, and the 7950X I had scored about 4% higher than the average 7950X according to online score average in Cinebench 23, and getting it to 6GHz seems to reaffirm that :wink:

Screenshot 2024-10-25 182248.png

4. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

So what part of my statement was incorrect?

5. maxy_10

maxy_10 Ultrasonic

Hi Bunford. I have the same processor and mother. Those are a really nice temps, what kind of cooling do you have? I have a noctua nh-u12a with a 125w tdp limit to keep it from getting 95°c.

About the cpu it's a beast, one problem i had was a compatibility issue with my UAD-2 pcie DUO. Asus made me a custom bios to make it work now working great. Another problem is with the boot up. It took nearly 1 min to get me to the windows page, dont know why, something with the memory learning (64gb kingstone 5600 mhz) but never could solve this problem, what about yours?

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I am using the original Lian Li 011 Air der8auer case, but removed the drive cage and the SSD tray/cable hide, along with tying down the cables neatly. This all allows lots of air flow around the case, including behind the CPU and motherboard.

I then have 2 Corsair ML 140mm fans as intakes on the front of the case and have an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer Iii 320 AIO on the CPU, with the radiator mounted on the ceiling if the case as the exhaust. This AIO also have a small VRM fan on the pump too, so this helps to cool the VRM and CPU area too. All fans are on the silent profile in the BIOS too, so aren't audible at all either.

I don't have UAD hardware, so no idea about that, but good of ASUS to provide a custom BIOS!

With regard to memory training, this is a normal process on the first boot after Overclocking the RAM, but I have read that this motherboard from some in certain scenarios does it in each boot instead of just the first boot after overclocking. You may want to Google it, but it's not an issue I've had yet but I've barely used it and still going through my initial checks to test everything us working fine and not got into properly using it yet.