Is the end near?

Discussion in 'Software' started by thantrax, Oct 9, 2017.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

It seems Microsoft has decided to stop Windows Phone. You know Windows 10 is the O.S. installed and, when WP will die, even the multi-platform O.S. could too. I don't know what MS should do in near future. But, it is clear, the O.S. is no more their strategic asset.

Note.
    I still think Microsoft should have supported Longhorn development.

More info here

3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

It wasn't really Microsoft's decision but the users' one. There is no sense for MS to still hold on to a smartphone OS with less than 0.1% market share.

Longhorn was the codename for Vista, so Microsoft definitely supported it (who else?), it became a crappy system nevertheless, but also the foundation for every newer version. Some of them became less crappy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

The Longhorn original idea was alot different (ie a new file system called WinFS and more).

However, Surface is still a overrated stuff and WP is dead. The multi-platform is a PC-platform now.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

MS tried and failed. Then they tried to rise the ultra-mini-pc/big-tablet almost empty market. Failed again. Google was faster and better

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I suppose if Microsoft stopped supporting operating systems, software developers would write more stuff for Linux!

So it is win win as far as I can see!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

You're right. MS tried and failed. Again and again:

. Millennium
    . Vista
    . Steve Ballmer
    . Nokia (Partnership)
    . Zune
    . Surface
    . Windows Phone (Windows 10)

What's next?

8. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Doesn't really matter.

It never has.

The end of one thing is just the beginning of an other.

Unless we (in this thread) are trying to create or imagine what is next and have the necessary knowledge and vision to do so, we are just spinning our wheels and might as well be asking what will people eat when there is no more fried chicken on planet earth. Though any planet that has no fried chicken, is not a planet I would want to live on - I can not image what those poor deprived people will eat when all the fried chicken has gone away.

9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I don't know if it's just me but I prefer grilled chicken. I have never really understood the fascination with the whole 'fried' concept. It's doused in fat which does your insides no good at all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

It aint that bad man.

After the apocalypse, the skinny ones will eat the fat ones, just nature balancing itself.

[​IMG]

11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

To each his own, but for me I might as well be eating a plank of wood when it comes to grilled chicken.

Steak if for grilling, chicken is for frying.... if doesn't taste good, might as well be eating a kale salad with dirt croutons, and some low calorie pine wood chips and a salty water vinaigrette.

Fried anything tastes better... Fry a Twinkie increase flavor - a baked potato tastes OK - but fry that mofo - BAM!!!! Flavor achieved.

12. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

That;s the people that fry stuff wrapped in bacon, and drink a case of soda with each meal and a case of beer afterwards.

Pictures from Portugal - The International Home of Fried & the Ambassadors of Fried Everything. [​IMG]

13. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Mmmmmm stop it, you're making me hungry!!!!!!

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I really don't get the point of all these "ms is going down" discussions every other week.
    Microsoft is a very resourceful conglomerate with an incredibly diverse portfolio. They are not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

They are very resourceful indeed.

How we perceive MS.
    [​IMG]

And how MS actually works.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

What?

Windows isn't going anywhere. If you had to name Microsoft's core business, it's the OS and Office products, which go hand in hand. Microsoft software dominates the business world and Windows has about ~90% share in computers in general.

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@thantrax With all the respect, your speculation is more like scifi drama mate. Windows is everywhere and in so many versions that it is ridiculous to comment on a possible (impossible really) demise. Personally on the desktop i hate Win 8.1 and Win10 even more, but i love my Win10 phone. I got it for 100eu 2 years ago, bought a 64gb fast sd for another 25eu and i use it as external storage too. Surely as a whole, it is a hit and miss because too many user favorite apps are missing from the platform, but in terms of functionality and behavior the Os shines on the mobile platform. When you pick up a device like this you realize that this os was meant to be used on mobile devices all along, its live tiles based interface and "smart tapping" find their natural space within smaller touchscreens (smaller than pc displays that is). While my newer and better spec'd Xperia stutters every now and then, the humble ms phone hasn't let me down, apart from the fact that it reboots after updating without you knowing lol.
    To me, Ms should 've stuck with developing a mobile OS and not go into the hardware biz. Let OEMs build their Win mobile devices just as they do with the desktop version. Oh and because you later mention Surface as a failure, not only it is not but at least from a professional's point of view, it is the the only tablet atm that by all means of performance,connectivity and compatibility is truly a laptop replacement. And it is not only me saying this, it has received rave reviews everywhere, so nuff said. So to expand here, for me, MS mobile future should rely upon the Intel/AMD camp. Acquiring Nokia was a dumb move to begin with. MS should press on the two chip giants for tiny SoCs that could easily run Windows. They are both more than able to do so. And frankly speaking, nothing holds them from introducing a 6+ inches Surface phone running full blown Windows with mobile feats. The tech is there. What they do with it is a subject for a different discussion i guess.
    Cheers :)
    Ps: Why mention Ballmer in that list? Everyone knows he is a cretin for a good over 35 yrs now, but he's part of MS's success story since he is with MS since 1980. You might think he's an a-hole but he is no failure. From Wikipedia: "When Microsoft was incorporated in 1981, Ballmer owned 8% of the company. In 2003, Ballmer sold 39.3 million Microsoft shares equating to approximately $955 million, thereby reducing his ownership to 4%." . Man, can i fail in the same way please?

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  18. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

@Riot7

Who cares about Office? LIbreOffice is enough for me. My posts are about OS for end-users like us.

@taskforce

Surface? It's your opinion. Ok.
    Ballmer? I can not forgive him for sinking the Longhorn project (the original idea, not Vista)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

No.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Funny you say that because the demand for LibreOffice is almost exclusively due to the success and giant install base of MS Office. I mean, I prefer LibreOffice as well, but I only have it installed so I can open documents sent to me by all the MS Office users out there in the world. If I could name the most ubiquitous software application that people still intentionally purchase, it would be MS Office, possibly only bested by Norton.

21. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

@Von_Steyr

Ferrari F1? Come on!

@Rasputin

LibreOffice is free and is open and Oracle cannot decide about its developement because of java.