Is the Arturia Keylab 25 still good in 2023/2024?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm looking for a small form factor MIDI desktop keyboard for easy access, ideally with some endless encoders and faders to control soft synths as well as Ableton control.

Some are tickling my fancy, but none seem to have as many features in terms of number of encoders and faders as the Arturia Keylab 25 that was released some 10 years ago.

Just wondering if it still good and relevant in 2023/2024 and worth purchasing?

3. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Yes. If it works for you. And since it's old it might be available second hand for really cheap. If you don't like it you can sell with almost no loss.

Let's be honest, some of the old controls are still the best. The Launchcontrol XL is still unmatched for example!

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

These older things you are looking around at, are best accompanied with a price. And even a link if you can.

The keylab 25 I am looking at has no faders at all. I think you might mean the 49?

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is the original Keylab 25, and the price is £100, which is steep for age, but wondering if there's anything better. I think it's also the only Keylab 25. The others that came after were called MiniLab I believe.

[​IMG]

6. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

Edit: hell, you said Keylab, not Minilab. I had no idea a 25-key Keylab existed. I think the Minilab MK3 has the exact same feature set, though? I will keep my original comment anyway, but it's actually about the Minilab lol

I bought an MKII about a year ago already, I'm really mixed on how useful it is for me. MK3 was already out at the time, but I chose the MKII over it because of the infinite encoders, and there's just a shit ton of them, which for me is the highlight of the controller. The keybed feels okay, but one thing I don't see people talking about is how fucking terrible it is for anything that uses high dynamics, such as piano. For non-velocity instruments or Kontakt libraries with heavy modulation use, I really like it. The drum pads also suck ass, but I'm not really a drums guy, so I use them sparingly. They work if you beat the shit out of them.

It's a decent controller overall, feels very premium, but can't be a one-device solution for the studio. I like having it on display, though. Worse case scenario, I just rotate left and use my Casio piano.

7. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

[​IMG]

Mine is still going very strong after ~6years of (ab)use. At some point, the pitch bend was a bit off, but repairing it was very easy by adjusting the wires of the spring inside.

I just don't like the clicky buttons. Also, the rubberized coating on the knobs, wheels and faders wears off (you can see it if you zoom on my picture), so if I keep it a few more years, I'll buy some generic ones to replace them. However I think I'll soon replace it with a 49 keys. 25 keys is a bit too limiting for me.

Otherwise, everything is great. The key action is fantastic, on par with the best.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

all the used ones I saw listings for are not that one. they are mostly grey with no sliders at all. the picture is like a minilab 25's features.

they must have changed it. they make ok stuff, and it is an ok price. i doubt i would end up really using it though.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

MiniLab 3 has only half the knobs and faders.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I bought a Minilab 3 which I'm really happy with, although I cannot say how it compares to the Keylab25

It integrates well with Ableton.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  11. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

In hated the knobs (sticky coating and strange behaviour in software) did Arturia fix that in newer generations?

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Knobs, Pads and Faders all have a pro feel to them. I originally went for a launchkey but the knobs seemed to slip a bit.. (there was movement in the knob but didn't move the software straight away) But there is none of that in the Minilab3

13. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

it has the MIDI
    [​IMG]

a 25-key MIDI controller complete with velocity-sensitive keys and aftertouch

I still use mine its a useful little device..

14. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

ps if the knobs get sticky from the rubberized coating decomposing, use a paper towel and some 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove the coating. it works on all gear that has that crap coating that became popular in the mid 2000's and apparently is still in use today.