Is steinberg download assistant safe to use with R2R Cubase

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by BenniTheBlockbuster, Apr 14, 2022.

1. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

hi is the steinberg download assistant safe to use with the R2R Cubase ?
    When i install this thing , they want to update some Dongle Stuff , activation manager , library manager and an E Licenser Control Setup .
    I would just like to know beforehand if it is safe to click yes , because i want to download some Steini stuff .

thanks

3. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Personally, I don't use it, because when VR b25 was released, they nicely included a .txt file (productdownloads.txt) with all the addresses to DL the plugins installers and the libraries (*.vstsound) directly from the official site without using any "assistant".

My opinion is that this "Download Assistant" is a real spyware, it installs (by force) a loads of things you don't necessarily need, and maintain a list of all the ST. things installed on your system!...
    ...list that is gracefully transmitted to the mothership...

If you use only R2R C12, content and plugins, you don't need anything else: no DL assistant, no elicenser, and no Activation schmugler, the R2R releases are totally independent and work by themselves without interfering with the official licensers.

You'll need this "thing" (the D. Assistant) only if you wanna buy and use legit licenses. In this case, you'll also need the official Activation Manager/elicenser, etc.

If, on another side, you want to install "pro" plugins like for example Halion, Groove Agent, etc... (everything without "SE" nor "Sonic" in its name) you still need VR Team b25 (or the nice AiR Absolute 5 kgen) release and official elicenser.

...But you have to know that it's only a question of time, ALL the Steinb. programs, plugins and libraries will become 100% compatible with the new "Activation" system... and so perfectly compatible with R2R's emulator.

So when this time will come, you''ll be able to uninstall any "licenser" app: bye-bye, activation manager and (sloooow) elicenser!

You don't even need "Library Manager" anymore: just read carefully the R2R.txt included in the C12 release, they explain how to install soundbanks/libraries (*.vstsound) without using anything.

If ever you wanna move the (big) "content" folder out of your C: drive, just use a symbolic link, and that's all!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  4. korgrog

korgrog Member

Hi
    Amore_de_la_Vida I cannot find productdownloads.txt could you point
    me in the right direction to find this list, ,Thank You

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2022
  5. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Just search on the sister site with the word "Cubase". The Last VR stbrg release is named "Steinberg Cubase v12.0.20 (Win64)-V.R".

In the rar, you will find 3 folders, the downloads.txt is inside the second.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  6. korgrog

korgrog Member

Amore_de_la_Vida Thank you Very Much :wink::mates::winker::like:

7. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

I use download assistant on another computer (then my daw) with an empty steinberg account. Just download there and then move files or installers to daw.

8. jacksex

jacksex Noisemaker

"Download Assistant" is a real spyware:like::wink:

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I used Download Assistant and have zero issues.

I used Cubase Pro 12.0.10 from R2R and even downloaded Cubase Pro 12.0.20 with Download Assistant, replacing the Silk emu file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg with the R2R version and used 12.0.20 before VR or R2R officially released their versions. I also downloaded and used Nuendo 12.0.20 in the same way before any R2R, VR or TcTeam release, all downloaded using Download Assistant.

In addition, I also use VR's b25 licenses and downloaded all the content using Download Assistant, and am now using HALion 6, Groove Agent 5 and so on will full soundsets with no issues.

Therefore, from personal experience, using Download Assistant gives zero issues.

However, I have noticed an update to Download Assistant recently in that is previously downloaded the file for you, which you then manually installed. However, Download Assistant now seems to download and install the product automatically for you, but I installed Cubase Pro 12.0.20 and Nuendo 12.0.20 using this updated versions and both are working without issues and have not affected any of the other software.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I have legit Cubase 12 pro and I'm currently testing out Nuendo 12(R2R) to see if it's worth the crossgrade. I fired up Steinberg Download Manager and it automatically updated Steinberg License Manager and E-Licenser. After that I was still able to use both daws without a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. korgrog

korgrog Member

THanks to everyone for all your responses and info, downloading them all from the VR list
    will try Download Assistant after that :wink::mates::guru::rofl:

12. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Cool to know, just in case for the future :rofl:

13. Drillen

Drillen Newbie

I downloaded the "Steinberg.Cubase.Pro.12.v12.0.40-R2R" version and installed it. Everything works well EXCEPT of the VST instruments. I don't have any standards VST instruments that you usually get with Cubase, like Groove Agent, Mystic, Padshop, Halion and so on. Do you know how I can get them?

Thank you!

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

those you have to download separate. R2R made releases for that.

15. Drillen

Drillen Newbie

Thanks, I realised and downloaded everything except of the "Steinberg.Cubase.Pro.12.Content-R2R" which I couldn't find anywhere.

16. gzilla

gzilla Ultrasonic

Still available on sister site (13 mar 2022) or just download directly at steinberg site.

17. samsum

samsum Producer

Most of the time you do not need Steinberg Download Assistant as you can download direct from their website without logging in if you just search 'steinberg 13 downloads' but I also got some tips from StevieDude and managed to get Cubase Pro 13.0.21 update working before R2R released it by doing the following:
    Stevie Tips:
    tbh, every 4-5 months, I will fire up the Download Manager and download every single update. It's easier that way but you have to replace the "license-engine-access.dll" file after. If you don't know how to do it.

1) go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Activation Manager
    (added by me: This folder Activation Manager was not on my system so I made the folder and copied 'license-engine-access.dll' from TEAM R2R folder which was already here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\TEAM R2R and copied it to the <new> 'Activation Manager' <folder> and kept the TEAM R2R license-engine-access.dll also where it was inside of TEAM R2R so I now had one in each folder)
    2) back up the "license-engine-access.dll"
    2b(added by me) Best to Download from the Steinberg website and ignore (step 3)
    3) run Download manager, download everything u need
    4) close, block internet whatever
    5) copy the backup license-engine-access.dll to the original location back.
    6) (added by me) install updates