Is Soundcloud dying for real?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Highdom, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Lots of people are discussing about the death of Soundcloud. The society seems to have big debts.

Is it real or it's the usual bullshit?

3. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

it is real, they are trying to make this a model of profit, but it isnt working well. atleast they changed the way how music finds its audience.

5. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

From Techcrunch article:
    "...further funding would require faith in SoundCloud that its own staff lacks."
    "After 10 years and raising well over $200 million, SoundCloud has failed to build a sustainable business off “the YouTube of music.” Trimming the fat hasn’t necessarily made it fit. If SoundCloud wants to survive, it may need to accept that it should sell to some more established company that could do better managing and monetizing it. YouTube grew into a content juggernaut, but it might never have made it that far without Google’s help. It would need to find as supportive a steward."
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

6. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Soundcloud has been dead since they deleted the groups. What are you guys using instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Upon the demise of Soundcloud, all of your music that you've embeded from it on your website and on social media will disappear. You'll have to find another service like it. (There's hearthis.at, but it charges money after a certain amount of plays on your account.) That's the problem with reliance upon such things: it gets re-developed somehow or disappears, and your online shit is fucked. And you have to scramble for a replacement, which is never quite the same or is just as potentially unreliable.

In a way, I'm glad that Soundcloud is failing. They'd bitten off more than they could chew because their eyes were bigger than their stomach, figuratively and literally:

soundcloud-berlin-office1.png

Big commercial aspirations for more revenue for themselves; their corporate infrastructure (take a gander at that spread, above) got top-heavy and toppled. How much revenue had Soundcloud generated for you, indirectly or directly? I mean, if listeners hadn't been too often directed away from your Soundcloud page or embedded file to some promoted artist's file or page? I got the feeling that I'd had my music on Soundcloud in order to provide yet another detour to music by someone with a publicity budget behind them – that my music was indirectly advertising for theirs.

Oh - and let me not neglect to mention the "social" features of Soundcloud, whereby I'd have to not "follow" anyone so that after plays of a couple of my songs the player would redirect to one by someone I were following; the cam-girls spamming me; the b/s messages from other musicians telling me to "Check out my shit, and tell me how it smells;" the stupid comments and the "likes" thing and people's inevitably pre-judging your music on basis of likes and play-count; how clicking on an embedded player just-so would take the visitor to Soundcloud itself, and therefore to others' music, not yours . . .

If there were some cloud-based storage service like box.com which would provide embeddable players with custom-imaged, sizeable, and custom-linkable players - for free - it would be the answer to my prayers. I'd be willing to run the risk of its being re-developed so that it would fail to embed anymore in circa 150 instances online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

It feels real to me. Since they removed the possibility to share music with interest Groups my plays dropped significantly form thousands and hundreds to like tenths. And then there were those annoying pseudo-PR Fuckery guys…

9. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

So what will be the next "soundcloud"?

10. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

11. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Well, their last posts on twittter are more encouraging :) I hope they are right as i'm really not in mood to do my playlist backup.

12. davea

davea Platinum Record

Read this guys:

https://blog.soundcloud.com/

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  13. saltwater

saltwater Guest

i think SC is already to big to die

14. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Forgot myspace already?

They might not die, but they will fall into the zombie state that myspace has reached, still technically there but no new users or activity. Soundcloud didn't have any developments in the last few years and have removed features like Groups which made the site so attractive.

At least I won't have to look at their fugly orange interface anymore.

15. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

That is interesting, thanks! But on the other hand, would else should they say?

16. Swiss Made

Swiss Made Member

They said the same for the Roman Empire and VHS recorders.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List