Is P2 output through HDMI (Monitor) somehow better than from motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Kuuhaku, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Just a question, I got an monitor (thats HDMI, and it haves an p2 output for audio) and I want to know if it is somehow better than the motherboard one?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Try it and find out, unfortunatly we can't do it for you.

if your talking about acurate audio reproduction then it depends on which has the better audio interface built in.

if you have a cheap mother board and expensive graphics card, then the analogue audio signal created and sent to the P2 output by the graphics card will be better then the motherboards.

Normally you'd expect the motherboard would be better, as there is more space to utilise when they designed it and therefore less chance they needed to comprimise on the quality to make it fit. On the other hand as the qudio from the graphics are is designed to be played from the TV in the cases where it's being used to watch movies, it may be higher quality sound then we'd generally assume.

There is always the risk there is some built in pre set EQ in both instances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The best audio quality you can get with onboard audio is through SPDIF, but you need an external DA converter for that, of course. Then the quality depends on the DA converter. Some good ones could be found for ~$100. If you can find TC BMC-2 DAC monitor controller, that one is awesome and you can get it for about $200 or maybe less 2nd hand. It's just hard to find it.

If you don't want, or can't spend any money, HDMI is completely digital video+audio, so audio quality depends on the DAC in your TV. It's really up to you to check which one sounds better, but my bet would be the TV output, because motherboards have so many components around the audio chip that cause interference [some motherboards tackled that problem somewhat]. TVs usually have much less components that can interfere with audio, and a good quality DAC. Try it. :wink: