Is MP3 Player Like This Exist? Is Even Possible?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Margaret, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Do you know anything like this?
    I will explain to you what I am looking for.

It doesn't need to have any fancy gold jack output 96kHz etc.
    Just standard MP3/WMA/OPUS/WAV/FLAC player will be enough.

You ask why not to just use smartphone?
    I will answer. Because of AAA battery, small size, different feeling of using it and many other things.
    When there will be no electricity and your phone battery will be dead you can just put AAA battery inside and enjoy music or take it for running because it is very light and small in your pocket.

Ok. What I am looking for.
    I wanna something wild.
    I wanna have internet in it like you can put SIM card inside with mobile internet and you can put any IP Adress or .m3u file to listening to Internet Radio Stations and making lists of those internet radio stations.
    I wanna FM/AM radio in it with auto search, manual search and like place for 500 favourite radio stations.
    Also it could has DAB+ Radio.
    Possibility to internal recording in good quality (WAV/FLAC/320 MP3).
    Built-in mic and possibility to external recording also in good quality.
    Equalizer with presets and user manual settings for individual bands.
    Covered USB for easy update and file transfer from PC.
    microSD card slot and like 64GB internal memory (it could be also 32GB or even 16GB).
    Powered by AAA battery which can give you around 6 hours of listening.

It is description of my dream MP3 Player :chilling:

I have very old mp3 player and is great but I am looking for modern equivalent because my mp3 is little limited.

- It doesn't have internet
    - It doesn't have MicroSD card slot
    - Only 2GB internal memory
    - No AM radio
    - Only few Presets for Equalizer and no manual settings
    - Poor quality mic
    - Poor quality internal recordings
    - Only MP3/WMA formats are supported

+ It has FM radio with auto and manual search and place for 32 favourite radio stations
    + Internal recordings (You can record FM radio for example) (Poor quality 96kbps MP3)
    + Built-in mic & external recordings (Poor quality 96kbps MP3)
    + Covered USB
    + Equalizer with presets (only built-in presets)
    + Nice blue display
    + All needed info is very nice packed (Author, Song Name, Album Name, Number of Songs, Song Lenght, File Format, File Bitrate - also shows constant or variable bitrates, Repeat "1 On, Off, All", Volume Level, Battery Level etc.)
    + Lock Function
    + Many Options in Settings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please help motherfuckers :mad:

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

So... I suppose Sony Discman I have won't cut it? :)

4. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

I don't think such a device exists but you could probably build such a player yourself using something like a Raspberry Pi Zero, LTE module, a small display and a 3D printer to make a nice case. Too complicated for me but I think pretty easy if you're a DIY person.

I don't like being dependent on smartphones either, that's why I still carry around an old MP3 player that runs on a single AAA battery.

5. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Nah man. My old Korr KMP-222 is better than any Discman.
    - "I can put any CD I find and in theory is limitless" you say.
    But I can listen to FM Radio or record my Beatbox.
    Who win now?
    A Smartphone user! :disco:
    Ok. Fuck it. :rofl:

6. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

ipod touch 4 is pretty good as far as streaming radio and mp3 but you have to use the itunes app to load stuff, though it can probably be jail broken. it also has a camera only available used. 32gb is about 25$ on ebay. no user expandable ram or sim card though. Think the ipod only plays mp4/aac encoded files, though it might play mp3 as well - can't recall at the moment.

I also have the Retekess am/fm/shortwave mp3 player/recorder - Its about 20-25$ on amazon, regularly goes on sale, currently on sale for 20$. it uses a replaceable lithium cell phone battery,
    it only plays mp3 or WMA which is a windows file codec. beleive it plays back up to 320kbs bitrate mp3 -but no flac or mp4, I tried both those and it just skips them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARN28SQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]
    Retekess V115 Digital Radio AM FM, Portable Shortwave Radios, Rechargeable Radio Digital Tuner and Presets, Support Micro SD and AUX Record, Bass Speaker Black

it will record off air, or has a microphone, it has an aux jack so you can plug the ipod into it if you want to stream internet radio, or music from anything really. It has a decent sounding speaker for its size with decent bass response.
    if you come up with a musical idea, you can record it - the mic isn't high fidelity, but it works for getting a chord progression captured

It takes a micro sd card. it doesn't recognize playlists, but it does recognizes folders, so I have a folder for podcasts, and a folder for each different mix and also folders by artist. it has physical buttons so easy to pause or ff etc.

short wave reception is shite, but you can add an antena to pickup broadcasts. Fm and am work well with the whip antenna. good battery life, you can recharge with any 5v usb phone charger. It won't playback while charging because of am static, but if you start it playing something mp3 or whatever then plug in charger, it will charge will playing.

I bought an extra in case shit hits the fan and I want the end of the world broadcast...store it with the candles and liquor...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  7. Garamondo Furbish

8. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

you could try one of those handheld voice recorders
    they also play music

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Garamondo Furbish

The retekess has really good sound quality for it size and an aux in for recording other sources, so very handy. Also uses a noika phone battery which is really dirt cheap if you need a replacement, a couple bucks. I've used mine for 3 plus years and still using the original battery and it works well.

its very well engineered for being so cheap about 15 pounds in the uk, I'm told, got my backup unit last summer for 15$ on sale at amazon.
    i plug mine into my powered speakers when I want more volume. The speaker doesn't distort which is unusual for such a small driver, it has a ducted port on the back.

I play mp3 on it all day, every day. and use it in the yard or garage etc. I also have a logitech squeeze radio in about every room in the house, but the Retekess is just so much easier to use. I frequently plug the headphone out into the logitech aux in and use the squeeze box as amp to play the retekess mp3's

also use it with the acoustic guitar when I need to get an idea down quick, the sound quality is adequate, but its not a multitrack. I just use the recording for reference, but it will record on air broadcast or whatever source you push through the aux in port..

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Buy another cell
    You're welcome

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Next best thing, namely no possible phone calls. Probably a high end ebook reader. I'm not sure about the recording though,

12. Garamondo Furbish

there is a ton of players on amazon. I've bought a couple for when i was flying alot. they are all chinese or indian made and the interfaces can be a bit dubious and less than responsive. they may have improved in the last few years.

here's the cheapest one I could find that does flac/ape etc its - I don't own this, but it has good reviews.. 36$
    records, has fm no am. playsback video if you need to test your eyes on the small screen. takes up to 128gb micro sd
    has 32gb of built in memory or maybe it comes with a 32gb card, hard to tell in the listing.. this has bluetooth too..

https://www.amazon.com/32GB-Mp3-Pla...cs&sprefix=flac+playe,electronics,735&sr=1-27

[​IMG]

13. Garamondo Furbish

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 01-13-06 Acer Aspire One AOA150-Bb 8.9 A150 Refurbished Netbook Laptop.png
    ebook readers don't make good mp3 players, they burn up the battery too fast, at least the kindle and the nook. as book reader. I still prefer trade paperback first - then Kindle, or for color comix books or movies Nook. for mp3 its the retekess for me. although a cheap lapto makes a great mp3 player. an old atom netbook is great for this like the acer aspire one. plays all codecs including flac etc. and you can read pdf etc.

not much bigger than a ham sandwhich but sounds better

14. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

ohh those are nice!! the ones i had in mind are less fancy and don't have fm neither a good sound quality. they're smaller though
    it would be something like this one or (IMAGE)
    i have a couple,but i dont use it for listening, i use it for recording

15. Garamondo Furbish

i just don't want an mp3 player that tracks me like a cell phone, hell I don't even want a cell phone but you know the world
    you have to have one just to brush your teeth now a days...

16. Garamondo Furbish

wow thats pretty cool. i got a zoom h4n when I was trying out recorders, its much bulkier, but it does have xlrs, got mine used for around 75$ at the time. i've used it to record radio broadcasts and it has a multitrak mode so I recorded some guitar on it, but menus are too small.
    and it eats batterys, glad I have a power supply for it..

17. Garamondo Furbish

the boss br micro and br-80 micro are cool
    the br is a 4 track recorder with stereo mics and fxs, runs on 2 AA batts
    about the size of a walkman cassette

[​IMG]

before mp3 we used these..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

Wow those really are cool. Looks like you could make a whole track with just that as a recording device

19. Garamondo Furbish

and it fits in your guitar case. its a great song writing tool, but once you get used to the zoom r8 which is the size of a piece of paper and has mic pre amps and mastering and faders, its sooooo much easier to use. no guitar tuner, but you do get drums and sample triggers

these are now discontinued, but still very useful- runs off AA batteries or phone charger 5v usb, its also an audio interface
    great song writing tool, probably under a 100$ on ebay these days..weighs about a pound or so..

[​IMG]

20. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Boss Micro BR looks cool!

Zoom R8 also looks cool!

Yeah. Few years ago I was looking for Walkman.
    I even have my favourite brand - Fisher.

All of those have FM/AM radio and are powered by 2x AA Battery

Fisher PH-S250F0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fisher PH-A 400 (With Mic input & Recording into Cassette)
    [​IMG]

Fisher PH 31 (with 3 Band EQ)
    [​IMG]

21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

sandisk still offers good and cheap ones.

bought sandisk clip or something for 25€ with 16GB memory(think you can even put bigger miniSDs into the slot), and minisd slot, so currently have 64GB+16GB. it plays mp3, flac, m4a, m4b, wma, not sure about opus aka ogg.

just look on amazon for sandisk mp3 player.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List