Is it worth it to turn an old Laptop into a hackintosh to get Logic?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by xXDayDreamerXx, Jul 9, 2016.

1. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

how on earth do you find ableton to be more noob friendly?

2. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Maybe he meant 'intuitive'..?

Whatever it may be, just looking at the UI in Live gives me a raging nerd-on.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I've never seen a discount bigger than $250 for a Macbook Pro.... a $2000 MacBook Pro. That's hardly a "nice discount".

I probably have the same configuration except for the memory (16 GB) and LPX runs great. Do some checks.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. voss5

voss5 Member

also some of the worst statements i read in while on a music forum. When something is over your head, best option is to stay in your corner and shut. Dont make a fool of yourself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Before you think too much about it or even invest money in extra ram and ssd (which is a good idea, after all):
    First try if you even get osx86 to run. I've seen a lot of people change their mainboards on their desktop machines or build an hackintosh from scratch. So just install osx86 for once, give that a try and if it is up and running smoothely think about the next steps.

(OT: internet, you'll never change. "i wanna do a wood panel in my living room, how do i do it?" "why not use a wallpaper/something with stones/something with steel?" :bleh:)

6. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

This reaper vs everything debate is so old, just because you can write html in notepad doesn't mean you should.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Oh? I have been googling back and forth, sadly to no help. There are quite a few people that has similar issues, but no solution other than some tool to change the resolution. What would you suggest?

8. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

btw, if you live in Europe, the terms and conditions of the appstore are illegal. Basically Apple says that your purchase of Logic belongs to your itunes account. Since you cannot give away your itunes credentials, you can't resell.
    On the used market you will find plenty of old macs with software already installed (including Logic). You gotta ask the seller to sign a paper saying that he resells his Logic license and you're good to go, you don't have to pay for Logic and most likely the guy will sell you the hardware with the same discount as another one without software.
    You won't get automatic updates through the macstore (need to come to AZ for updates lol).
    But if you want to stay legit like you said, you're good to go, because the initial purchaser sold you his license, and the terms of Apple that forbid a resale are illegal in Europe. They continue to use them because Apple doesn't care about piracy, they prefer to spread their product everywhere and make profit on the hardware, but if they did, the terms would be attacked immediately to european courts without Apple standing any chance for sure.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. xXDayDreamerXx

xXDayDreamerXx Ultrasonic

Reaper took some getting used to, but I did manage to figure it out, although I think because I downloaded the free version there weren't any sound libraries really, it just showed my preinstalled VSTs. If it had some sound libraries and VSTis to try I might strongly consider it, since while I like the sound of Logic a windows-compatible DAW would be my best option right now. I'm looking to make Electronic music mostly, although possibly recording a couple horn solos on my crappy little USB mic now and then wouldn't be out of question. (I played french horn for a few years- had to drop it for now due to health issues :() I'd love to make more use of Reaper, but it doesn't appear to have any of its own VSTis/synths? That's a big issue for me, since if I'm putting down money for a DAW I need all of the sound libraries from it I can get D: (free stuff can only get you so far) The mixers and such do look nice though.
    Cubase has been the DAW I've had my eyes on mainly, since I got Cubase AI with a program I bought. Thanks for the suggestion and advice! I can use reverb and compressors to some degree, and other plugins of course, so I might look into Cool Edit. (Just am no good at it yet! hehe.. Haven't written a full-length song yet, just have been managing to make little loops and such but there's always a point where I ask myself "Now what do I do?" or "How the hell do I execute what's in my head, when I know nothing practically and have so many limitations right now?") I might just sell my lungs and go for it... ($330 isn't an easy amount for me to obtain at my age, and I can't get a job anytime soon due to a disability)
    That's a shame to hear- I'll look into Logic 9 a bit more since I've only done my research on Logic Pro X mostly. And I shall consider reaper if I end up getting a mac and not liking Logic for whatever reason, since it's pretty cheap and reasonable. Good to know it runs well on Mac, since I was impressed on windows.

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Setting up a hacky can be a tricky process, and I've spent too much time already - more or less out of pure curiosity.
    One of the pitfalls is graphics hardware support. If you don't have a proper kext (and settings!) for your hardware, laggy UI response or even UI glitches are often the consequence. I'm sure that's what happened to @iluvhiphop.
    Using recommended hardware platforms instead of trying to make exotic hardware work can save you days and weeks of troubleshooting.
    If money is an issue and it doesn't have to be a laptop (and you'll likely want a large monitor anyway), you could also get yourself a used i5 or i7 Mac Mini and rather invest the time in learning how to work with LPX efficiently. It looks simple at first sight but it's an extremely powerful and customizable software that will take your time to get into, depending on your preferred workflow.
    I have used Cubase too, and while at the times of Logic (Pro) 5/6/7 I much preferred Cub. for its straightforward usage, today I don't miss it anymore when using LPX as it has become a lot more user-friendly for my taste.
    You can find a nice collection of tutorials and tricks here and in many online forums.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  11. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Take Cubase Pro on a PC.The best and cheapest investment,you'll don't need a mac in the future.A pc is the same thing than a mac,but far cheaper.
    Cubase is very pro,very easy to use,the most intuitive,the best sequencer and midi solutions,really good and better for audio handling than a lot of other daws.I tried all the daws on the market and for me Cubase is faaaar the best!!!
    Besides that it looks beautiful.
    The synths coming with Cubase are not very well but you will find the best to NI,U-he or XFer I think,for example.
    And vst plugins for pc are the most popular,you'll have the biggest choice for finding your favorite synths/treatments.
    Even if Logic is good,it doesn't offers all these points.

12. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

you lost me at apparently caring to go "legit" with software but wanting to make it a hackintosh thereby going as pirate as anyone.
    no coherence at all.

your problem as a beginner for the future to come is to learn song structure, to start and FINISH tracks.
    wanting to a: get into the hassle with hackintosh with a 2011 HP laptop will run into all sorts of problems. b: buying logic but breaking the eula is... weird.

use studio one or ableton and focus on finishing demos with extremly few, light vsts, dont get caught in futile stuff. the rest is the easy part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@xXDayDreamerXx
    No,dont use cool edit pro,its outdated today,was merely saying you could achieve pro results with it if you know what you are doing.
    Many better daws than cool edit pro today,though its the one i started on,good memories :)

14. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

15. Emre

Emre Newbie

just a noob here,can you download crack logic or other crack DAWs on mac ? why do people build hackintosh's ? can you enlighten me please

16. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Yes. There is no shortage of apps for OSX (macOS): apps, daws, plug-ins, anything you may think to.

Apple's core audio works better than Asio or other low latency drivers available on windows, also the midi routing (virtual) is implemented by default in macOS.

So yes, there are some solid reasons to use a mac - nothing exclusive (besides Logic Pro). Deadmau5 uses windows if I recall correctly. So it works what you know best after all :)

17. Emre

Emre Newbie

thanks for the information :)

18. I'll take them. How much you asking? Although I quit about six years ago, I smoked tobacco for nearly thirty-six. Although mine are now clear and performing like teenage champions, a second pair might conceivably come in handy some time down the line.